Why Google sponsored Android is set to be a market force

,----[ Quote ]
| Conversely, the report notes that Android will be less attractive to those
| that want Linux as a kernel with their own differentiated
| applications. “Android may induce handset manufacturers to differentiate more
| on hardware-specific features, such as usability, enhancing the Web
| experience,” the analysts said.

Another nice Linux device:

Five Interesting Ways of Using a Chumby That Might Make You Buy It

,----[ Quote ]
| I have written about unboxing and my very first impressions about Chumby -
| yet another Linux powered portable device - in my previous post. As promised
| in that post, here are more details about the device itself, more
| specifically, some different ways in which a Chumby can be put to use.

Linux gadget to replace the clock radio?

,----[ Quote ]
| Chumby, a venture-backed San Diego startup, is readying a
| soft, leather-covered Linux-powered gadget conceived as an
| *Internet-era replacement for clock and table radios.
| Expected to ship in "early summer," pending FCC approval,
| the "Chumby" device features open, hackable hardware,
| software, and yes, "outerware" APIs.

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
| [...]
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards. *
| [...]
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum. *
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption." *

In praise of Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has its problems. I wish it would contribute more source-code
| modifications that it makes to Linux, MySQL, Apache, and others open-source
| projects, for one. But overall, the world is better for Google's sheer power
| of search and minimalist design. *

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android. * *

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]