Vista: now run by one in five users - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista: now run by one in five users - Linux ; "Vista is touching more people than the install percentage numbers suggest," said Chris Swenson, NPD's director of Software Industry Analysis. By factoring in what he called the "experience index," Vista's footprint is larger. "As of October, approximately one in five ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Vista: now run by one in five users

  1. Vista: now run by one in five users

    "Vista is touching more people than the install percentage numbers suggest,"
    said Chris Swenson, NPD's director of Software Industry Analysis. By
    factoring in what he called the "experience index," Vista's footprint is
    larger. "As of October, approximately one in five of all U.S. respondents
    have access to at least one computer with Vista installed, either at home or
    work," he added. The percentage could be higher still when factoring
    schools, Internet cafes, libraries and other locations outside the home or
    office."

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...nterprise.html




















    (note: just testing a little lying spam ala Roy "The Idiot" Schestowitz.
    cola nut "advocates" NEVER question his lies, so I expect the same
    courtesy).




  2. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    DFS wrote:

    [...]

    DooFuS: Now plonked by one in five COLA users.


    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Smoking helps you lose weight -- one lung at a time.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  3. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >DooFuS: Now plonked by one in five COLA users.


    Why it's not more, no one knows...


  4. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    On 2007-12-04, chrisv claimed:
    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >>DooFuS: Now plonked by one in five COLA users.

    >
    > Why it's not more, no one knows...


    Actually, plonking Doof-boy is *more* popular than Vista, even at 1 in
    5 (because any claims about Vista being used at that rate are pure
    Barbra Streisand). If more people did it they'd see just how joyful it
    is.

    --
    When I was a child we had a quick-sand box in the backyard.

  5. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:29:47 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > "As of October, approximately one in five of all U.S. respondents have
    > access to at least one computer with Vista installed, either at home or
    > work,"


    What does "have access to" mean? After all, anyone who goes to a store
    "has access to" a Vista installed machine.

    So isn't this a case of counting the chickens before they are hatched?


  6. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    Robin T Cox writes:

    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:29:47 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "As of October, approximately one in five of all U.S. respondents have
    >> access to at least one computer with Vista installed, either at home or
    >> work,"

    >
    > What does "have access to" mean? After all, anyone who goes to a store
    > "has access to" a Vista installed machine.
    >
    > So isn't this a case of counting the chickens before they are hatched?
    >


    I really do wonder if you have reading problems. What part of "have
    access to at either home or work" eludes you? You think they might have
    to swing across a croc infested river? What do YOU think "access to"
    might mean in this context.

    COLA - the only news group where the English language is redefined to
    increase the Linux install base.


  7. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:29:47 -0500, "DFS" wrote:

    >"Vista is touching more people than the install percentage numbers suggest,"
    >said Chris Swenson, NPD's director of Software Industry Analysis. By
    >factoring in what he called the "experience index," Vista's footprint is
    >larger. "As of October, approximately one in five of all U.S. respondents
    >have access to at least one computer with Vista installed, either at home or
    >work," he added. The percentage could be higher still when factoring
    >schools, Internet cafes, libraries and other locations outside the home or
    >office."
    >
    >http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...nterprise.html


    Roy is that you?
    Have you gone to the 'dark side' ?


    >
    >
    >(note: just testing a little lying spam ala Roy "The Idiot" Schestowitz.
    >cola nut "advocates" NEVER question his lies, so I expect the same
    >courtesy).



    Ooops!
    Just scrolled down.
    Good one, and that's EXACTLY what goes on here.

    However, on digg and propeller it's a completely different can of
    worms, as the comments to Roy's spamming clearly show.

    >


  8. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Sinister Midget

    wrote
    on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:44:20 -0600
    <4ocg25-uav.ln1@clark.harry.net>:
    > On 2007-12-04, chrisv claimed:
    >> Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >>
    >>>DooFuS: Now plonked by one in five COLA users.

    >>
    >> Why it's not more, no one knows...

    >
    > Actually, plonking Doof-boy is *more* popular than Vista, even at 1 in
    > 5 (because any claims about Vista being used at that rate are pure
    > Barbra Streisand). If more people did it they'd see just how joyful it
    > is.
    >


    I'll admit to wondering. A 1 in 5 usage rate at this time
    would be consistent with other reports, though reality
    is a bit hard to come by. These are from "Windows Vista
    adoption rate", returned by Google.

    As far as I can tell, someone's forcing a meme here,
    and it's mutating.

    - - - - -

    http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/20...-plentyoffish/
    "Windows Vista Adoption rate Data from Plentyoffish."

    Feb 1: 0.28%
    Feb 21: 1.21%

    Estimated linear adoption rate (ELAR[*]): 5.9 years

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128027/article.html

    Jan 1, 2008: 15% (estimated)

    ELAR: 6.7 years

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista...XP-41131.shtml
    "Vista Adoption to Outpace XP"

    (same)

    http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/orig...241536,00.html
    "Vista Adoption Off To Slow Start"

    Small business ELAR: 14 years
    Midsize business ELAR: 5.88 years

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=564

    Preload percentage: 95% desktops, 91% laptops
    OS growth: 10%
    Microsoft clients business unit (includes Vista): $4.14B, Jun-Sep 2007
    Microsoft Revenue Growth: 27% (Jun-Sep 2007)

    ELAR: unavailable

    -->
    http://www.informationweek.com/windo...leID=199500729
    "Survey: Business Adoption of Windows Vista is Wide but not Deep"

    Businesses adopting Vista somewhere: 91%
    Business machines converting to Vista: 10%

    Vista meets expectations: 19%
    Vista exceeds expectations: 1%
    Too soon to tell: 34%
    Vista falls short: 46%
    (Date: May 12, 2007)

    ELAR: unavailable

    http://tech.aupoos.com/2007/05/02/vi...ce-windows-xp/
    "Vista Adoption Rate Predicted to Outpace Windows XP"

    PC users adopting vista within first year: up to 15%
    ELAR: 6.7 years

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8307.html
    "Analyst predicts Vista adoption to trump XP"

    PC users adopting vista within first year: up to 15%
    ELAR: 6.7 years

    http://4sysops.com/archives/why-is-t...ption-so-slow/
    "Why is the Vista adoption so slow?"

    PC users adopting Vista: 2%
    PC users having no plans to upgrade: 38%
    ELAR: 50 years

    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/12472
    "Vista adoption rate 'twice as fast' as XP's"

    Vista copies sold in first 1 1/2 months: 20 million copies
    Time to sell 32 million copies of XP: six months

    ELAR: unavailable

    http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/061127vista/
    "Vista adoption to outpace Windows XP, analyst says"

    PC users adopting vista within first year: up to 15%
    ELAR: 6.7 years

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte..._too_high.html
    "Stacking Vista Licenses Too High"

    Claimed sales lead time for 20M figure: 1 month
    Actual sales lead time for 20M figure: 4 months

    ELAR: approx. 24 years?

    http://www.aiti.gov.bn/news/2007/08a...20Concerns.htm
    "Microsoft Dispeals [sic] Windows Vista Adoption Concerns"

    Data Point: 60M copies, June 2007

    ELAR: unavailable

    http://www.crn.com/software/201200806
    "Report: Vista Adoption Outpacing OS X"

    February 2007:
    MacOSX market share: 6.38%
    Vista: 0.93%
    XP: 84.33%
    Other (computed): 8.36%

    June 2007:
    MacOSX market share: 6.00%?
    Vista: 4.52%
    XP: 81.94%
    Other (computed): 7.54%

    ELAR: 9.3 years

    http://perfectdiskblog.typepad.com/perfectdisk_blog/2007/11/windows-vista-a.html"Windows
    Vista adoption rate -- what's real?"
    (Perfectdisk sales blog/pitch)

    --> http://techrepublic.com.com
    (search)
    --> http://blogs.techrepublic.com/hiner/?p=564
    (already seen)

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2028920,00.asp
    "Common Sense on Vista Adoption"

    ELAR: no data

    http://rcpmag.com/features/article.a...itorialsid=752
    "Awaiting a Vista Bounce"

    Data point: 40M copies at May 15, 2007

    - - - - -
    [*] This is an ad hoc concept. Basically, take the two
    endpoints (that's usually all one is given in these
    sorts of reports) and extend the line all the way up to
    100%, and then estimate the amount of time it takes.
    A better projection might be Estimated Exponential
    Time of Adoption, but that's more difficult to properly
    calculate, since the curve is asymptotic.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  9. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    flatfish wrote:

    > Roy is that you?
    > Have you gone to the 'dark side' ?


    "Have access" doesn't equal "use", maybe.

    At work I have "access" to the pitiful handful of Windoze machines in our
    circulation dept. but I don't use the things.

    I also have "access" to the printing press, but don't go near it. :-D

  10. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    Hadron wrote:

    > I really do wonder if you have reading problems. What part of "have
    > access to at either home or work" eludes you? You think they might have
    > to swing across a croc infested river? What do YOU think "access to"
    > might mean in this context.


    It was a pretty ambiguous statement, Hadron. Even you know that.

  11. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:37:43 -0500, Tattoo Vampire
    wrote:

    >flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> Roy is that you?
    >> Have you gone to the 'dark side' ?

    >
    >"Have access" doesn't equal "use", maybe.
    >
    >At work I have "access" to the pitiful handful of Windoze machines in our
    >circulation dept. but I don't use the things.
    >
    >I also have "access" to the printing press, but don't go near it. :-D


    Surprising.
    I have yet to see a Vista PC in business.

  12. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:34:18 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Robin T Cox writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:29:47 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "As of October, approximately one in five of all U.S. respondents have
    >>> access to at least one computer with Vista installed, either at home
    >>> or work,"

    >>
    >> What does "have access to" mean? After all, anyone who goes to a store
    >> "has access to" a Vista installed machine.
    >>
    >> So isn't this a case of counting the chickens before they are hatched?
    >>
    >>

    > I really do wonder if you have reading problems. What part of "have
    > access to at either home or work" eludes you? You think they might have
    > to swing across a croc infested river? What do YOU think "access to"
    > might mean in this context.
    >


    I'd love to hear your suggestion, if you have one.

    Apparently it is not your practice to query the claims of advertisers or
    spin doctors. There's a word for that: gullibility.

    Fortunately, not all of us are as green as we're cabbage-looking.





  13. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flatfish

    wrote
    on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:06:38 -0500
    <1agbl313hl6upbsugb3ldbg4d9ik9fenne@4ax.com>:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:37:43 -0500, Tattoo Vampire
    > wrote:
    >
    >>flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roy is that you?
    >>> Have you gone to the 'dark side' ?

    >>
    >>"Have access" doesn't equal "use", maybe.
    >>
    >>At work I have "access" to the pitiful handful of Windoze machines in our
    >>circulation dept. but I don't use the things.
    >>
    >>I also have "access" to the printing press, but don't go near it. :-D

    >
    > Surprising.
    > I have yet to see a Vista PC in business.


    We have a few wandering about here. Presumably, these
    are the techie bunch/early adopters.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
    item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  14. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    DFS wrote:

    > "Vista is touching more people than the install percentage numbers
    > suggest," said Chris Swenson, NPD's director of Software Industry
    > Analysis. By factoring in what he called the "experience index," Vista's
    > footprint is larger. "As of October, approximately one in five of all U.S.
    > respondents have access to at least one computer with Vista installed,
    > either at home or work," he added. The percentage could be higher still
    > when factoring schools, Internet cafes, libraries and other locations
    > outside the home or office."
    >
    >

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...nterprise.html

    The most optimistic figures show a Vista market penetration of less than 10%
    after one year (yet still half the PC replacement rate, so a lot of this is
    still channel stuffing) -- and you're spewing this utter garbage about 20%
    of people "having access" to Vista? Sure enough, I "have access" to Vista
    as well. If I plonk down several hundred bucks in a local computer store, I
    get a brand new PC with Vista. And yes, if I ask around, some people are
    glad to grant me "access" to their Vista bad-buy-of-the-month. But 75% of
    these Vista casualties wished they'd demanded XP.

    This "access to Vista" crap is just another way to conceal the fact that
    nobody wants Vista.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  15. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 23:23:49 +0100, Richard Rasker
    wrote:


    >http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...nterprise.html
    >
    >The most optimistic figures show a Vista market penetration of less than 10%
    >after one year (yet still half the PC replacement rate, so a lot of this is
    >still channel stuffing) -- a

    So?

    Where is desktop Linux after 15 years and considering it is FREE?

    Less than 1 percent...

    When something that is free can't manage to even make it into the
    single digits, something is seriously wrong with that product.

  16. Re: Pista: now 4 out of 5 users say no!

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > "V


    Micoshaft is looking like loosing market share because 4 out of 5 Pista
    users are saying no to PISTIFICATION.

    A PISTIFIED PC is no good to joe public.

    They want something that works.

    Switching to GNU/Linux is the only way.

    Hundreds of liveCDs and distros here free with source code

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com


  17. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users


    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    news:fj4k1l$jnp$1@saturn.z74.net...
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Vista is touching more people than the install percentage numbers
    >> suggest," said Chris Swenson, NPD's director of Software Industry
    >> Analysis. By factoring in what he called the "experience index," Vista's
    >> footprint is larger. "As of October, approximately one in five of all
    >> U.S.
    >> respondents have access to at least one computer with Vista installed,
    >> either at home or work," he added. The percentage could be higher still
    >> when factoring schools, Internet cafes, libraries and other locations
    >> outside the home or office."
    >>
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...nterprise.html
    >
    > The most optimistic figures show a Vista market penetration of less than
    > 10%
    > after one year (yet still half the PC replacement rate, so a lot of this
    > is
    > still channel stuffing) -- and you're spewing this utter garbage about 20%
    > of people "having access" to Vista? Sure enough, I "have access" to Vista
    > as well. If I plonk down several hundred bucks in a local computer store,
    > I
    > get a brand new PC with Vista. And yes, if I ask around, some people are
    > glad to grant me "access" to their Vista bad-buy-of-the-month. But 75% of
    > these Vista casualties wished they'd demanded XP.



    According to who?? You and some other shills in COLA. Look at the real-world
    web stats and the BILLIONS in profit that Mr. Softee is making. You are
    seriously delusional if you think that Vista isn't selling out there.



    > This "access to Vista" crap is just another way to conceal the fact that
    > nobody wants Vista.


    This "linux can't be measured" crap is just another way to conceal the fact
    that nobody wants linux.



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  18. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:45:04 -0500, "LENNY" wrote:

    >
    >"Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    >news:fj4k1l$jnp$1@saturn.z74.net...
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Vista is touching more people than the install percentage numbers
    >>> suggest," said Chris Swenson, NPD's director of Software Industry
    >>> Analysis. By factoring in what he called the "experience index," Vista's
    >>> footprint is larger. "As of October, approximately one in five of all
    >>> U.S.
    >>> respondents have access to at least one computer with Vista installed,
    >>> either at home or work," he added. The percentage could be higher still
    >>> when factoring schools, Internet cafes, libraries and other locations
    >>> outside the home or office."
    >>>
    >>>

    >> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...nterprise.html
    >>
    >> The most optimistic figures show a Vista market penetration of less than
    >> 10%
    >> after one year (yet still half the PC replacement rate, so a lot of this
    >> is
    >> still channel stuffing) -- and you're spewing this utter garbage about 20%
    >> of people "having access" to Vista? Sure enough, I "have access" to Vista
    >> as well. If I plonk down several hundred bucks in a local computer store,
    >> I
    >> get a brand new PC with Vista. And yes, if I ask around, some people are
    >> glad to grant me "access" to their Vista bad-buy-of-the-month. But 75% of
    >> these Vista casualties wished they'd demanded XP.

    >
    >
    >According to who?? You and some other shills in COLA. Look at the real-world
    >web stats and the BILLIONS in profit that Mr. Softee is making. You are
    >seriously delusional if you think that Vista isn't selling out there.
    >
    >
    >
    >> This "access to Vista" crap is just another way to conceal the fact that
    >> nobody wants Vista.

    >
    >This "linux can't be measured" crap is just another way to conceal the fact
    >that nobody wants linux.



    All true.

  19. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> I really do wonder if you have reading problems. What part of "have
    >> access to at either home or work" eludes you? You think they might have
    >> to swing across a croc infested river? What do YOU think "access to"
    >> might mean in this context.

    >
    > It was a pretty ambiguous statement, Hadron. Even you know that.


    *cut* *paste* but change the challenged to "Tattoo Vampire".

  20. Re: Vista: now run by one in five users

    Robin T Cox writes:

    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:34:18 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Robin T Cox writes:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:29:47 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "As of October, approximately one in five of all U.S. respondents have
    >>>> access to at least one computer with Vista installed, either at home
    >>>> or work,"
    >>>
    >>> What does "have access to" mean? After all, anyone who goes to a store
    >>> "has access to" a Vista installed machine.
    >>>
    >>> So isn't this a case of counting the chickens before they are hatched?
    >>>
    >>>

    >> I really do wonder if you have reading problems. What part of "have
    >> access to at either home or work" eludes you? You think they might have
    >> to swing across a croc infested river? What do YOU think "access to"
    >> might mean in this context.
    >>

    >
    > I'd love to hear your suggestion, if you have one.
    >
    > Apparently it is not your practice to query the claims of advertisers or
    > spin doctors. There's a word for that: gullibility.
    >
    > Fortunately, not all of us are as green as we're cabbage-looking.


    Cauliflower ears are not an excuse. This is a reading exercise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast