SSH problem - Linux

This is a discussion on SSH problem - Linux ; I just ran an up2date on a fedora core 3 system, and now anything using ssh fails with the helpful error "segmentation fault". This includes ssh, sftp, cups, kermit, etc. This also means that X will not come up, among ...

  1. SSH problem

    I just ran an up2date on a fedora core 3 system,
    and now anything using ssh fails with the helpful
    error "segmentation fault". This includes ssh,
    sftp, cups, kermit, etc.

    This also means that X will not come up, among
    other things.

    Is there an easy way to fix this? Some known
    problem? Reloading openssh "rpm -U --forced"
    on a download of the update doesn't fix it
    either. It won't load the original from the
    install cd because of assorted requirements
    that fail, even if I use --force.

    I'd like to avoid reloading the entire thing
    if possible. It was a pain installing it the
    first time.

  2. Re: SSH problem

    Kevin Handy wrote:
    > I just ran an up2date on a fedora core 3 system,
    > and now anything using ssh fails with the helpful
    > error "segmentation fault". This includes ssh,
    > sftp, cups, kermit, etc.
    >
    > This also means that X will not come up, among
    > other things.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to fix this? Some known
    > problem? Reloading openssh "rpm -U --forced"
    > on a download of the update doesn't fix it
    > either. It won't load the original from the
    > install cd because of assorted requirements
    > that fail, even if I use --force.
    >
    > I'd like to avoid reloading the entire thing
    > if possible. It was a pain installing it the
    > first time.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Run the program via strace (strace ssh) - it might give you a clue
    (for example what files it opens before the crash). Also check the logs
    - if you are lucky you might see something there.

    Mihai

  3. Re: SSH problem

    Kevin Handy wrote:
    > I just ran an up2date on a fedora core 3 system,
    > and now anything using ssh fails with the helpful
    > error "segmentation fault". This includes ssh,
    > sftp, cups, kermit, etc.
    >
    > This also means that X will not come up, among
    > other things.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to fix this? Some known
    > problem? Reloading openssh "rpm -U --forced"
    > on a download of the update doesn't fix it
    > either. It won't load the original from the
    > install cd because of assorted requirements
    > that fail, even if I use --force.
    >
    > I'd like to avoid reloading the entire thing
    > if possible. It was a pain installing it the
    > first time.

    Found it. The 'openssl' update installed badly, and
    libcrypto.so was toast. Forced that one to install
    again, and most of the errors went away (yay!),
    except for the ones I caused by trying to fix the
    problem (boo!).

    Now I can go back to raising sheep in stendhal...