[News] Fox Article on the Linux-based OLPC - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Fox Article on the Linux-based OLPC - Linux ; The Laptop That Could Change the World ,----[ Quote ] | What remains to be seen is whether either OLPC itself or its competitors can | get the laptops into the hands of students worldwide. Like other game | changers ...

  1. [News] Fox Article on the Linux-based OLPC

    The Laptop That Could Change the World

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What remains to be seen is whether either OLPC itself or its competitors can
    | get the laptops into the hands of students worldwide. Like other game
    | changers and version 1.0 products, mass adoption will be the key to the
    | success of the "cheap educational laptop."
    |
    | While the XO-1 is attractive and totally kid-friendly, it's ultimately up to
    | the bureaucrats in the target countries to choose which platform to use.
    `----

    They compain that it doesn't run Apple and Microsoft programs ("store-bought
    Windows or Mac OS programs"). Is this an issue for children in Peru? Faux News
    knows what's good for everyone (its advertisers and friends): Intel and
    Microsoft.

    Related:

    Dvorak: Windows Vista Solves Nothing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PC users have traditionally preferred the steak over the sizzle.
    | So what happens now?
    |
    | We start by playing with Vista and listening to the inevitable
    | complaints and praises. But this OS is not designed to be a good
    | candidate for upgrading older systems. This is something of a
    | new phenomenon.
    |
    | Thus, people about to phase out old machines might be a
    | little more experimental. And that means trying Linux.
    `----

    Windows Vista's 'Mac'-Ness Might Open Door for Linux Takeover

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The timing couldn't be better, but there are bound to be numerous
    | shake-outs and a few collapses. And Microsoft looks vulnerable, too.
    |
    | The most important event is the formation of the Linux Foundation.
    `----

  2. Re: Fox Article on the Linux-based OLPC

    On Dec 3, 8:37 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > The Laptop That Could Change the World
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | What remains to be seen is whether either OLPC itself or its competitors can
    > | get the laptops into the hands of students worldwide. Like other game
    > | changers and version 1.0 products, mass adoption will be the key to the
    > | success of the "cheap educational laptop."
    > |
    > | While the XO-1 is attractive and totally kid-friendly, it's ultimately up to
    > | the bureaucrats in the target countries to choose which platform to use.
    > `----

    > They compain that it doesn't run Apple and Microsoft programs ("store-bought
    > Windows or Mac OS programs"). Is this an issue for children in Peru? Faux News
    > knows what's good for everyone (its advertisers and friends): Intel and
    > Microsoft.

    Faux Snooze only cares about their fellow corporate neo-fascist
    Bilderbergers.

+ Reply to Thread