Alfresco Pairs with Adobe on Social Networking Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| In marketing materials accompanying the 2.9 launch, Alfresco officials had
| harsh words for SharePoint, calling it "slow and not scalable" and "hard to
| program and extend."
| Howells backed away somewhat from that type of language. "What we're saying
| is Sharepoint is having a big impact and so is open source," he said. "The
| thing is, people don't want to be tied into a stack from top to bottom."

Mainsoft solves SharePoint trap

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainsoft has solved the problem of SharePoint exclusivity, enabling secure
| data transfers between a SharePoint store and an IBM Websphere portal.
| [...]
| It won’t be cheap, but it’s going to get easier, for enterprises to escape
| the SharePoint trap.

Could SharePoint Be Microsoft’s New Mode of Lock-In?

,----[ Quote ]
| This could be a tough one for IT leaders. Business users are comfortable with
| Microsoft. They know how to use the Office interface, and apparently like it
| to the point users will create their own mini-BI tools from Excel and opt out
| of the corporate system. But, if Asay’s right, vendor lock-in could cause
| unforeseen problems or major costs down the road. * *
| After reading Asay’s column and the interview with Nicholls, at least you’ll
| know which questions to ask before investing in either SharePoint or an
| alternative solution. *

Sharepoint and Firefox: no rich editor for you

,----[ From the comment ]
| I am "forced" to use Sharepoint at work, but at least I'd like
| to use my Linux machine to write wiki pages. These guys at MS
| definitely don't know what they're doing...

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.

Competition for Microsoft & Co.: Mindquarry Forms Up With an Open Source Team

,----[ Quote ]
| Launch for a user friendly and easy to use teamwork software: since
| Feb. 28th 2007, Mindquarry offers the first Open Source alternative
| to Microsoft's Sharepoint Server or IBM's Lotus Connections.

OpenOffice extension rivals SharePoint

,----[ Quote ]