Amazon and Wal-Mart unwittingly team up against

,----[ Quote ]
| With Amazon spreading the word next year in a big way for DRM-free media and
| Wal-Mart trying to knock some sense into more major labels, 2008 is already
| looking to be a strong year for the fight against DRM.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ainst-drm.html

No Swiss DMCA

,----[ Quote ]
| A dangerous law has been passed on the 5th October by both the Parliament and
| the National Council almost without resistance. The revision represents
| massive advances for legal protection of copy protection mechanisms.
|
| It is my conviction that such technical copy protection measures are of no
| merit for the consumer and will ultimately also harm the content producers. A
| law that puts such measures under special protection is hence just as ill
| advised.
`----

http://no-dmca.ch/index.en.html

Linux Battles DVD Piracy Issues

,----[ Quote ]
| Codecs and DVDs: Here is the Real Deal. One of the points made correctly is
| the legality of being able to play MP3s and DVDs in Ubuntu. With restricted
| codecs, the only time it is going to find themselves in actionable legal
| trouble is if they are distributing said codecs without paying the patent
| fees to the appropriate parties.
|
| [...]
|
| Stop Hiring Windows Users to Write Articles About Linux. I'm an expert
| Windows power user and am a full-time, competent Linux user for more than
| three years. Seeing this type of lazy reporting burns me up when so much of
| the content expressed is otherwise well put together. Had the author of The
| NY Times piece actually spent a month or two using his selected Linux distro,
| I think his points would have carried more weight.
|
| With that said, at least this individual has really looked at Linux with a
| fresh set of eyes and I credit them for that. But for the love of common
| sense, how about actually double-checking your facts on Linux installation
| before making such a silly statement.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...709&Itemid=449

Related:

DRM deathwatch: Sony, Wal-Mart

,----[ Quote ]
| First, Sony is reportedly considering offering its catalog as MP3s, joining
| EMI and Universal Music Group. That would make Warner Music the last holdout
| among the Big Four. I'm not sure how long Warner could hold out if it saw its
| competitors selling more digital files thanks to the universality of the MP3
| format. * *
`----

UK music store: DRM-free music outsells protected tunes four to one

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM-free music sells at a much higher rate online than protected music,
| according to UK-based digital music store 7 Digital. In fact, customers buy
| it four times as often as they do DRMed music.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...es-4-to-1.html
http://tinyurl.com/22jhju

EMI has DRM free sales boom

,----[ Quote ]
| Since EMI ditched the DRM on iTunes it has seen sales of Pink Floyd's Dark
| Side of the Moon increase by between 272 and 350 percent.
`----

Music DRM 'dead by next summer'

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's MP3, absolutely," 7Digital MD Ben Drury told us. "People understand
| that MP3 works everywhere - that isn't true for AAC and certainly not for
| WMA."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...usic_sales_up/

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

,----[ Quote ]
`----