kdm login hangs if no network disconnected - Linux

This is a discussion on kdm login hangs if no network disconnected - Linux ; We upgraded to RHEL3 (kde 3.1.3) from RH7.3 (kde 3.0.5) and noticed that if the network is disconnected, e.g. the cable removed, kdm hangs for about 30 seconds before the user is logged in. I.e, if the user enters their ...

  1. kdm login hangs if no network disconnected

    We upgraded to RHEL3 (kde 3.1.3) from RH7.3 (kde 3.0.5) and noticed
    that if the network is disconnected, e.g. the cable removed, kdm
    hangs for about 30 seconds before the user is logged in. I.e, if the user
    enters their name and password, kdm just sits there for about 30 seconds
    and then eventually logs them in.

    It's obviously going out to the net for something but I can't figure what.

    Anyone know what it's doing and how to get around it?

    This wasn't a problem with RH7.3 and kde 3.0.5.

    /dan

  2. Re: kdm login hangs if no network disconnected

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:30:02 -0400, Daniel Ganek wrote:

    > We upgraded to RHEL3 (kde 3.1.3) from RH7.3 (kde 3.0.5) and noticed
    > that if the network is disconnected, e.g. the cable removed, kdm
    > hangs for about 30 seconds before the user is logged in. I.e, if the user
    > enters their name and password, kdm just sits there for about 30 seconds
    > and then eventually logs them in.
    >
    > It's obviously going out to the net for something but I can't figure what.
    >
    > Anyone know what it's doing and how to get around it?
    >
    > This wasn't a problem with RH7.3 and kde 3.0.5.
    >
    > /dan

    I think the windowmanagers is counting on knowing the hostname of
    your computer, might be some problem there trying to lookup
    something that it can't get to, and eventually times out. it all
    depends on your net setup, in that case it can probably be fixed
    using the /etc/hosts files in some way. don't know anything more
    specific though

    Gaute (The Great) Hope
    --
    For evig! For alltid!

  3. Re: kdm login hangs if no network disconnected

    Gaute Hope wrote in newsan.2005.06.07.17.49.10.53689
    @gaute.vetsj.com:

    > I think the windowmanagers is counting on knowing the hostname of
    > your computer, might be some problem there trying to lookup
    > something that it can't get to, and eventually times out. it all
    > depends on your net setup, in that case it can probably be fixed
    > using the /etc/hosts files in some way. don't know anything more
    > specific though

    Yeah that is true. The window manager will try and look up the host name
    and any network shares that you have mounted. I use the /etc/hosts file to
    speed that up. My host actually has a domain so I just tell it the domain's
    IP address in the hosts file so it does not have to go and look it up. I
    have a small home network with mounted shares so I give the IP addresses as
    well as the computer names.

    [ohmster@ohmster ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.1 .com .org ohmster
    192.168.0.2 cindy
    192.168.0.3 missy
    [ohmster@ohmster ~]$

    I actually use the real fully qualified domain name instead of
    .com for the example. Put any IP address and host name that you
    machine will access into the hosts file, including the machine itself, to
    speed up that timeout. At least this works for me, there might be more to
    it than that but I get by with it.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    "Read Ohmster" in subject, bypass spam filter.

  4. Re: kdm login hangs if no network disconnected

    Ohmster wrote:
    > Gaute Hope wrote in newsan.2005.06.07.17.49.10.53689
    > @gaute.vetsj.com:
    >

    >>I think the windowmanagers is counting on knowing the hostname of
    >>your computer, might be some problem there trying to lookup
    >>something that it can't get to, and eventually times out. it all
    >>depends on your net setup, in that case it can probably be fixed
    >>using the /etc/hosts files in some way. don't know anything more
    >>specific though

    > Yeah that is true. The window manager will try and look up the host name
    > and any network shares that you have mounted. I use the /etc/hosts file to
    > speed that up. My host actually has a domain so I just tell it the domain's
    > IP address in the hosts file so it does not have to go and look it up. I
    > have a small home network with mounted shares so I give the IP addresses as
    > well as the computer names.
    >
    > [ohmster@ohmster ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
    > # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    > # that require network functionality will fail.
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    > 192.168.0.1 .com .org ohmster
    > 192.168.0.2 cindy
    > 192.168.0.3 missy
    > [ohmster@ohmster ~]$
    >
    > I actually use the real fully qualified domain name instead of
    > .com for the example. Put any IP address and host name that you
    > machine will access into the hosts file, including the machine itself, to
    > speed up that timeout. At least this works for me, there might be more to
    > it than that but I get by with it.

    We've done all that. As matter of fact that's what we also did on RH7.3
    and it worked fine; i.e. no network hang. There's nothing in /etc/fstab
    that should cause problems.

    I did notice that if I enter a bogus username/password the hang still
    occurs. So now I'm suspecting that it has something to do with pam which I
    know absolutely nothing about.

    /dan

+ Reply to Thread