Linux strong #3 in OS market - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux strong #3 in OS market - Linux ; http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

Thread: Linux strong #3 in OS market

  1. Linux strong #3 in OS market


  2. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    OK writes:

    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8


    Hmm. At least in this one they didn't bundle Linux in with the CP/M and
    QDos.

    "This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "


    --
    Mais informado que gerente de funerária.

  3. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:48:44 +0100, Hadron
    wrote:

    >OK writes:
    >
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >
    >Hmm. At least in this one they didn't bundle Linux in with the CP/M and
    >QDos.
    >
    >"This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    >for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    >traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "


    Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    barrier.

    How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?

  4. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    flatfish wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:48:44 +0100, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >> OK writes:
    >>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >> Hmm. At least in this one they didn't bundle Linux in with the CP/M and
    >> QDos.
    >>
    >> "This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    >> for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    >> traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "

    >
    > Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    > barrier.
    >
    > How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?

    Compare it to the numbers for #4.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    OK wrote:
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8


    I thought the iPhone uses OS X and Safari. I wonder why they broke it out.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    flatfish wrote:
    >
    > Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    > barrier.
    >
    > How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?


    I'd be curious to know more about the type of sites that they are
    aggregating their stats from. Their Linux numbers are coming in
    much lower than what I see in the web logs and at my ISP clients.
    They've had linux in the solid single digits for a while now.
    I've never seen an average lower than 2%. Last time I looked
    it was around 3.9 (and that was a while ago).

    Thad


  7. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:29:56 -0600, thad05 wrote:

    > flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >> Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >> barrier.
    >>
    >> How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?

    >
    > I'd be curious to know more about the type of sites that they are
    > aggregating their stats from. Their Linux numbers are coming in much
    > lower than what I see in the web logs and at my ISP clients. They've had
    > linux in the solid single digits for a while now. I've never seen an
    > average lower than 2%. Last time I looked it was around 3.9 (and that
    > was a while ago).
    >
    > Thad


    My own straw poll on this NG has only shown 2 or at most 3 reports of
    corporate rollouts of Vista going forward.

    So the future is really bleak for M$, whatever the figures may look like
    for the fag end of XP sales. And no doubt those were inflated by the
    numbers of people who were trying to get XP rather than Vista before the
    bar went down.


  8. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market


    "OK" wrote in message
    news:e4g8l39rccprfr161d0272dqrdq81d9jkn@4ax.com...
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8


    This is very misleading since it actually only treats usage of OS for web
    browsing. It is probably indicative of the truth insofar as the desktop
    client systems are concerned, since there really are only two kinds of
    computers commonly encountered, Wintel and Mac, so whatever else there is is
    automatically third.

    In the server market, however, Linux is 4th behind Windows, Unix, and IBM
    Mainframe OS. It used to be 5th, but has managed to pass Netware in
    popularity for new systems.


  9. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market


    wrote in message
    news:4iud25-d9s.ln1@tux.glaci.com...
    > flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >> Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >> barrier.
    >>
    >> How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?

    >
    > I'd be curious to know more about the type of sites that they are
    > aggregating their stats from. Their Linux numbers are coming in
    > much lower than what I see in the web logs and at my ISP clients.
    > They've had linux in the solid single digits for a while now.
    > I've never seen an average lower than 2%. Last time I looked
    > it was around 3.9 (and that was a while ago).
    >

    I run a communit website for homeowners in a gated subdivision with about
    500 houses. The counters reset every month, but for the first 3 days so
    far of December, the hit ratio is Windows\Mac\Linux = 4387\1\26. Only the
    people who live here can get an account and typically people only check once
    or twice a week on the average, but there is almost never any Linux activity
    although Mac is usually a lot more than showing today.


  10. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market


    "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    news:keY4j.495$ov2.84@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:29:56 -0600, thad05 wrote:
    >
    >> flatfish wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >>> barrier.
    >>>
    >>> How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?

    >>
    >> I'd be curious to know more about the type of sites that they are
    >> aggregating their stats from. Their Linux numbers are coming in much
    >> lower than what I see in the web logs and at my ISP clients. They've had
    >> linux in the solid single digits for a while now. I've never seen an
    >> average lower than 2%. Last time I looked it was around 3.9 (and that
    >> was a while ago).
    >>
    >> Thad

    >
    > My own straw poll on this NG has only shown 2 or at most 3 reports of
    > corporate rollouts of Vista going forward.
    >
    > So the future is really bleak for M$, whatever the figures may look like
    > for the fag end of XP sales. And no doubt those were inflated by the
    > numbers of people who were trying to get XP rather than Vista before the
    > bar went down.
    >

    How long you chumps going to play that tune? No one seems to be listening
    anymore.


  11. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:10:46 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > news:keY4j.495$ov2.84@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
    >> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:29:56 -0600, thad05 wrote:
    >>
    >>> flatfish wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >>>> barrier.
    >>>>
    >>>> How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?
    >>>
    >>> I'd be curious to know more about the type of sites that they are
    >>> aggregating their stats from. Their Linux numbers are coming in much
    >>> lower than what I see in the web logs and at my ISP clients. They've
    >>> had linux in the solid single digits for a while now. I've never seen
    >>> an average lower than 2%. Last time I looked it was around 3.9 (and
    >>> that was a while ago).
    >>>
    >>> Thad

    >>
    >> My own straw poll on this NG has only shown 2 or at most 3 reports of
    >> corporate rollouts of Vista going forward.
    >>
    >> So the future is really bleak for M$, whatever the figures may look
    >> like for the fag end of XP sales. And no doubt those were inflated by
    >> the numbers of people who were trying to get XP rather than Vista
    >> before the bar went down.
    >>

    > How long you chumps going to play that tune? No one seems to be
    > listening anymore.


    Then let's have the evidence.

    Tell me about more corporate rollouts known to you, and substantiate your
    evidence. I'm all ears.


  12. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:10:46 -0500, "amicus_curious"
    wrote:

    >
    >"Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    >news:keY4j.495$ov2.84@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...


    >> So the future is really bleak for M$, whatever the figures may look like
    >> for the fag end of XP sales. And no doubt those were inflated by the
    >> numbers of people who were trying to get XP rather than Vista before the
    >> bar went down.
    >>

    >How long you chumps going to play that tune? No one seems to be listening
    >anymore.


    It's the same old song the Linux supporters have been singing for at
    least 10 years.
    While it is true that Firefox is cutting into Internet Explorer's
    marketshare, it's WINDOWS VERSIONS of firefox that account for most of
    the numbers.

    Linux is still a virtual unknown on the desktop no matter how you look
    at it and the Linux advocates will claim Linux can't be measured when
    numbers unfavorable to Linux are posted but these same people will
    post sites with numbers showing Linux in a favorable position, sites
    which more often than not are Linux shill sites.

  13. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious

    wrote
    on Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:10:46 -0500
    <475462ef$0$22448$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>:
    >
    > "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > news:keY4j.495$ov2.84@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
    >> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:29:56 -0600, thad05 wrote:
    >>
    >>> flatfish wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >>>> barrier.
    >>>>
    >>>> How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?
    >>>
    >>> I'd be curious to know more about the type of sites that they are
    >>> aggregating their stats from. Their Linux numbers are coming in much
    >>> lower than what I see in the web logs and at my ISP clients. They've had
    >>> linux in the solid single digits for a while now. I've never seen an
    >>> average lower than 2%. Last time I looked it was around 3.9 (and that
    >>> was a while ago).
    >>>
    >>> Thad

    >>
    >> My own straw poll on this NG has only shown 2 or at most 3 reports of
    >> corporate rollouts of Vista going forward.
    >>
    >> So the future is really bleak for M$, whatever the figures may look like
    >> for the fag end of XP sales. And no doubt those were inflated by the
    >> numbers of people who were trying to get XP rather than Vista before the
    >> bar went down.
    >>

    > How long you chumps going to play that tune? No one seems to be listening
    > anymore.
    >


    Makes no real difference. Companies will have to go
    forward[*] with the Vista rollout by the time Windows
    XP is discontinued -- probably in the 2011-2013 time
    frame during the release of Longhorn Desktop Edition.
    (Presumably, this is after Microsoft successfully lobbies
    for the protection of the Windows Vista OS as a natural
    monopoly, and legislates mandated licensing/DRM of all
    Vista-capable desktop and server units. Additional issues
    such as the resolution of the '402' code in HTTP might
    also be addressed by then. "A penny a page" is not dead,
    but it's currently somewhat hidden.)
    [*] assuming they go forward with Microsoft.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  14. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    * OK fired off this tart reply:

    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8


    Give it up, asshole.


  15. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >
    > "This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    > for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    > traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "


    Yeah, that's a real objective measure of "market share".

    If you believe that, you're just as bonehead-stupid as OK.

    --
    Tux rox!

  16. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > I wouldn't call 94 percent a weak #1. I would however call Linux's
    > failure to break even 1 percent, weak, period. No matter how you spin
    > it, Linux comes up barely showing on the radar screen. Pretty bad for
    > something that is free IMHO.


    So tell us, flatty, why /you/ think Linux is doing so poorly in this
    "hitslink" count?

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    OK wrote:
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8


    Market share is such a stupid valuation of a free product.

    How can you use market share as a valuation of a user base? I'd
    personally prefer to see the market share for linux distros to be zero,
    otherwise it shows that some fools are paying for it.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFHVIJY4dyr7s6PRYgRApr/AJ40s36LWVO9oU2dJzPcJ3KUizUKhACfSnQl
    vVxT0TluM/JNrW9F8B+2mEI=
    =ym/N
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  18. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    > "OK" wrote in message
    > news:e4g8l39rccprfr161d0272dqrdq81d9jkn@4ax.com...
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >
    > This is very misleading since it actually only treats usage of OS for
    > web browsing. It is probably indicative of the truth insofar as the
    > desktop client systems are concerned, since there really are only two
    > kinds of computers commonly encountered, Wintel and Mac, so whatever
    > else there is is automatically third.
    >
    > In the server market, however, Linux is 4th behind Windows, Unix, and
    > IBM Mainframe OS. It used to be 5th, but has managed to pass Netware in
    > popularity for new systems.


    No it's misleading because no one should pay for linux. This is market
    share, not user base.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFHVIJ94dyr7s6PRYgRAp+nAJ9WBpp6uNVnyOm61BN8ct h5Wv8z3gCfUFmu
    Kl38jaoCTWBwUNodHczAqH0=
    =R68I
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  19. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:30:42 GMT,
    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:10:46 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    >> news:keY4j.495$ov2.84@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
    >>> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:29:56 -0600, thad05 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> flatfish wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >>>>> barrier.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?
    >>>>
    >>>> I'd be curious to know more about the type of sites that they are
    >>>> aggregating their stats from. Their Linux numbers are coming in much
    >>>> lower than what I see in the web logs and at my ISP clients. They've
    >>>> had linux in the solid single digits for a while now. I've never seen
    >>>> an average lower than 2%. Last time I looked it was around 3.9 (and
    >>>> that was a while ago).
    >>>>
    >>>> Thad
    >>>
    >>> My own straw poll on this NG has only shown 2 or at most 3 reports of
    >>> corporate rollouts of Vista going forward.
    >>>
    >>> So the future is really bleak for M$, whatever the figures may look
    >>> like for the fag end of XP sales. And no doubt those were inflated by
    >>> the numbers of people who were trying to get XP rather than Vista
    >>> before the bar went down.
    >>>

    >> How long you chumps going to play that tune? No one seems to be
    >> listening anymore.

    >
    > Then let's have the evidence.
    >
    > Tell me about more corporate rollouts known to you, and substantiate your
    > evidence. I'm all ears.
    >



    I can add one "No Vista, no way" sample. Even the CEO, who happily
    "upgraded" to Vista on a new laptop (sold with Vista pre-installed) had
    thhe IT dept put XP on it after about a month. We have *one* vista
    install, which is used for the sole purpose of checking how the site
    looks/works under vista. Everything else is either Linux, or XP.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHVIu9d90bcYOAWPYRAgP/AKDByCTIL64XBwCjyEzjaihbymIodwCgl3yp
    PUNDmbj3Kn9r8hpzgxgDd30=
    =rdz5
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    --
    Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    Who was the sick-minded SOB who called it a "lisp"?
    "What's wrong with you?" "I litthhp."
    "You what?" "I *litthhp* ."

  20. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market


    "ed" wrote in message
    news:Cn%4j.808$bC3.227@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > OK wrote:
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >
    > Market share is such a stupid valuation of a free product.
    >
    > How can you use market share as a valuation of a user base? I'd
    > personally prefer to see the market share for linux distros to be zero,
    > otherwise it shows that some fools are paying for it.


    Well, the non-scientific method shown in the link is user share after all
    and does measure any market. It is simply a picture of what people are
    using, not what they paid for. If there are any people using Linux on the
    desktop, they may very well have gotten it for free, this study cannot tell
    that. All it shows is that there are not many people using Linux.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast