Linux strong #3 in OS market - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux strong #3 in OS market - Linux ; On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:52:04 -0500, flatfish wrote: >On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:48:44 +0100, Hadron > wrote: > >>OK writes: >> >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8 >> >>Hmm. At least in this one they didn't bundle Linux in with the CP/M ...

  1. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    wrote:

    >On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:48:44 +0100, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >>OK writes:
    >>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >>Hmm. At least in this one they didn't bundle Linux in with the CP/M and
    >>QDos.
    >>
    >>"This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    >>for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    >>traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "

    >Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >barrier.
    >
    >How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?

    Strong #3 because the #4 OS used to surf the Web, the iPhone, is at
    0.09%, really far from catching up the #3 spot, thus Linux is strongly
    in 3rd place ;-)

  2. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:18:16 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >* Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >> "This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    >> for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    >> traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "

    >Yeah, that's a real objective measure of "market share".

    Yes, of course, very objective. Users leave trails when surfing the
    web.

    Anyway, Google - the geek's search engine by excellence - never
    counted more than 1% Linux hits, suggesting that Linux usage in the
    general population was even lower than that:

    http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/jan02-pie.gif
    http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/nov03_pie.gif

  3. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:16:57 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >* OK fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >Give it up, asshole.

    http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/nov03_pie.gif

    Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

  4. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:25:38 GMT, ed wrote:

    >OK wrote:
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >Market share is such a stupid valuation of a free product.
    >
    >How can you use market share as a valuation of a user base? I'd
    >personally prefer to see the market share for linux distros to be zero,
    >otherwise it shows that some fools are paying for it.

    Are you intellectually challenged or something? What web hits have to
    do with paying or not?

  5. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:16:46 -0500, "amicus_curious"
    wrote:

    >"ed" wrote in message
    >>
    >> OK wrote:
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    >> Market share is such a stupid valuation of a free product.
    >>
    >> How can you use market share as a valuation of a user base? I'd
    >> personally prefer to see the market share for linux distros to be zero,
    >> otherwise it shows that some fools are paying for it.

    >Well, the non-scientific method shown in the link is user share after all
    >and does measure any market. It is simply a picture of what people are
    >using, not what they paid for. If there are any people using Linux on the
    >desktop, they may very well have gotten it for free, this study cannot tell
    >that. All it shows is that there are not many people using Linux.

    Actually, there never was:

    http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/nov03_pie.gif

  6. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> I wouldn't call 94 percent a weak #1. I would however call Linux's
    >> failure to break even 1 percent, weak, period. No matter how you spin
    >> it, Linux comes up barely showing on the radar screen. Pretty bad for
    >> something that is free IMHO.

    > So tell us, flatty, why /you/ think Linux is doing so poorly in this
    > "hitslink" count?

    I would think that the answer would be obvious to anyone. People are not
    using Linux to do much web surfing in general purpose areas. When some
    Linux fan is surfing the web it seems to generally be in search of a driver
    or two or else to download the weekly release of Ubuntu or even to find some
    other Linux fan to comiserate with. Thus they have no time for the general
    purpose sort of web surfing that regular people indulge in and so they do
    not show up in the statistics.

  7. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    > I can add one "No Vista, no way" sample. Even the CEO, who happily
    > "upgraded" to Vista on a new laptop (sold with Vista pre-installed) had
    > thhe IT dept put XP on it after about a month. We have *one* vista
    > install, which is used for the sole purpose of checking how the site
    > looks/works under vista. Everything else is either Linux, or XP.

    Well we have tens of thousands of Vista installs in our company. I have two
    of my own. We have one Linux machine that we use for a doorstop.

  8. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:06:12 -0500, "amicus_curious"
    wrote:

    >"Linonut" wrote in message
    >>* flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> I wouldn't call 94 percent a weak #1. I would however call Linux's
    >>> failure to break even 1 percent, weak, period. No matter how you spin
    >>> it, Linux comes up barely showing on the radar screen. Pretty bad for
    >>> something that is free IMHO.

    >> So tell us, flatty, why /you/ think Linux is doing so poorly in this
    >> "hitslink" count?
    >>

    >I would think that the answer would be obvious to anyone. People are not
    >using Linux to do much web surfing in general purpose areas. When some
    >Linux fan is surfing the web it seems to generally be in search of a driver
    >or two or else to download the weekly release of Ubuntu or even to find some
    >other Linux fan to comiserate with. Thus they have no time for the general
    >purpose sort of web surfing that regular people indulge in and so they do
    >not show up in the statistics.

    Exactly.
    Linux as a desktop system so far has been a huge failure and the Mac
    products are slowly but surely gaining ground, mostly because people
    who buy iPods, iPhones etc are discovering the Mac way of doing things
    and liking it. Also these same people have had it with Windows and are
    looking for an alternative and Mac, NOT Linux IS that alternative.

    Why people are ignoring Linux is a mystery to me, really, but they
    are.
    The best chance Linux has for desktop adoption is Ubuntu. Even my
    sister, a complete computer neophyte has heard of Ubuntu and managed
    to install it.
    Her kids hated it though so away it went.

  9. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:34:26 +0100, OK wrote:

    >On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:52:04 -0500, flatfish
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:48:44 +0100, Hadron
    >> wrote:

    >>>Hmm. At least in this one they didn't bundle Linux in with the CP/M and
    >>>QDos.
    >>>
    >>>"This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    >>>for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    >>>traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "

    >>Yet Linux still hasn't managed to break that illusive 1 percent
    >>barrier.
    >>
    >>How does this constitute a "strong #3 " ?

    >Strong #3 because the #4 OS used to surf the Web, the iPhone, is at
    >0.09%, really far from catching up the #3 spot, thus Linux is strongly
    >in 3rd place ;-)

    Haha!
    Seeing as the iphone is a couple of months old, Linux is about 15
    years old, the iPhone is a phone first and all the other stuff
    secondary, I would say Linux is in bad shape.

  10. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    You live and learn. Or you don't live long.
    -- Lazarus Long

  11. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > My own straw poll on this NG has only shown 2 or at most 3 reports of
    > corporate rollouts of Vista going forward.
    >
    > So the future is really bleak for M$,

    blah blah blah. Same Linux stupidity for 10 freakin' years.

    Way to go out on a limb there, Braveheart.

    Test for Mr. Wallace: find a serious person (Linux advocate meatheads cannot
    be taken seriously) who says MS' future is bleak, and who has supporting
    data - not weakminded speculation - for his conclusions.

    And chew on this for a while before you waste your time
    http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3711556

  12. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    Jim Richardson wrote:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Well we have tens of thousands of Vista installs in our company. I
    >> have two of my own.
    >>

    > "tens of thousands of Vista installs"? Bull****.

    That's not many. I bet IBM alone has 350,000 desktop systems running XP.

  13. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    On Dec 3, 5:18 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    > >>http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    > > "This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use
    > > for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the
    > > traffic across our network of websites that use our service. "

    > Yeah, that's a real objective measure of "market share".
    >
    > If you believe that, you're just as bonehead-stupid as OK.

    What's a more objective measure than people browsing the web? Unless
    you're from the Kelsey Bjarnason school of statistics where every
    unaccounted for computer is running Linux and statistics is some how
    an invalid way of estimating user because it doesn't take into account
    absolutely everyone. Most sites have it at 3-5% Linux. And why exactly
    does everyone around here take that as an insult? Let's face it, the
    nature of Linux is going to prevent it from getting mass appeal. In
    fact, whenever suggestions are made to help it along, the most common
    response is that no one wants it to be Windows and that it would
    change everything good about Linux. Well if it's going to get the
    userbase that Windows has, it would have to have the mass appeal that
    Windows has. So, the very things that make Linux, Linux, will keep it
    from a rapid rise to the top. Again, what's the big deal? So "strong
    #3 in OS market" was surely intended to be at least partly an insult,
    but I think it's a pretty good claim for a free OS built bottom up by
    mostly volunteer work. Linux is a minority, but that's not always a
    bad thing.

    On Dec 3, 5:25 pm, ed wrote:

    > OK wrote:
    > >http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    > Market share is such a stupid valuation of a free product.
    >
    > How can you use market share as a valuation of a user base? I'd
    > personally prefer to see the market share for linux distros to be zero,
    > otherwise it shows that some fools are paying for it.

    Market share is the percentage of people using your product. It has
    *nothing* to do with price. Free products are in the market too,
    competing.

  15. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Well we have tens of thousands of Vista installs in our company. *I have
    > two of my own. *We have one Linux machine that we use for a doorstop.

    I suppose 'doorstop' is the new word for 'firewall'.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  16. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > I run a communit website for homeowners in a gated subdivision with
    > about 500 houses.

    And do you make the site presentable when viewed with Firefox? Or is it
    best viewed with IE?

    If your site looks like hell with FF, we couldn't be surprised that you
    get few Linux hits.

  17. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Well we have tens of thousands of Vista installs in our company. *I have
    > two of my own. *We have one Linux machine that I use for a buttplug.

  18. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's
    the law!

  19. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:06:12 -0500, "amicus_curious"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> So tell us, flatty, why /you/ think Linux is doing so poorly in this
    >>> "hitslink" count?
    >>>

    >>I would think that the answer would be obvious to anyone. People are not
    >>using Linux to do much web surfing in general purpose areas. When some
    >>Linux fan is surfing the web it seems to generally be in search of a driver
    >>or two or else to download the weekly release of Ubuntu or even to find some
    >>other Linux fan to comiserate with. Thus they have no time for the general
    >>purpose sort of web surfing that regular people indulge in and so they do
    >>not show up in the statistics.

    That's pretty funny. I use Linux heavily, I do like to reconfigure and
    tinker endlessly, and download software, as well as do a lot of coding,
    at work and at home. And yet I have time to surf for other stuff.

    Your theory, amicus, is bullockus.

    > Linux as a desktop system so far has been a huge failure and the Mac
    > products are slowly but surely gaining ground, mostly because people
    > who buy iPods, iPhones etc are discovering the Mac way of doing things
    > and liking it. Also these same people have had it with Windows and are
    > looking for an alternative and Mac, NOT Linux IS that alternative.

    I actually have a surprise for you guys, and it may make you **** your
    pants. However, as my wife has a surgery coming up at noon, it will
    take me awhile to research it to see just how much of surprise it is to
    you.

    And, I suspect it is /not/ much of a surprise to Microsoft, since they
    have access to research resources that you idiots apparently don't.

    Stay tuned.

    --
    Tux rox!

  20. Re: Linux strong #3 in OS market

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >Well we have tens of thousands of Vista installs in our company.

    You are a liar.