[News] Linux to Win as Windows Vista Becomes More Expensive Than PCs - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux to Win as Windows Vista Becomes More Expensive Than PCs - Linux ; [...and it's worse than any other O/S] Linux Blog Safari: Asus's eeePC and the GPL, Linux in 2008 ,----[ Quote ] | "2008 is seeing the birth of laptop computers below $300: XO, Asus EEE, and I | guess some ...

  1. [News] Linux to Win as Windows Vista Becomes More Expensive Than PCs

    [...and it's worse than any other O/S]

    Linux Blog Safari: Asus's eeePC and the GPL, Linux in 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "2008 is seeing the birth of laptop computers below $300: XO, Asus EEE, and I
    | guess some new will appear soon," wrote eulernet on a Slashdot thread on the
    | topic. "Vista alone is almost more expensive than the hardware! Microsoft was
    | a good alternative when computers did cost $1500, but now the price is just
    | too heavy. They really can't win when the hardware is cheap."
    `----

    Related:

    Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC.
    Traditional PCs Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asustek

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “I think the chance of surpassing 20% in 2010 is very high because there will
    | be further [Asus Eee] products in the future,” said Jonney Shih, chief
    | executive of Asustek, in an interview with DigiTimes web-site. *
    `----

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...th_Eee_PC.html

  2. Re: Linux to Win as Windows Vista Becomes More Expensive Than PCs

    On Dec 3, 9:22 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > [...and it's worse than any other O/S]
    >
    > Linux Blog Safari: Asus's eeePC and the GPL, Linux in 2008
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "2008 is seeing the birth of laptop computers below $300: XO, Asus EEE, and I
    > | guess some new will appear soon," wrote eulernet on a Slashdot thread on the
    > | topic. "Vista alone is almost more expensive than the hardware! Microsoft was
    > | a good alternative when computers did cost $1500, but now the price is just
    > | too heavy. They really can't win when the hardware is cheap."

    Yes, but what's turning into the largest expense is the cost of a
    broadband connection. We just signed up with AT&T for $25/month.
    That's cheaper than alternatives I've seen recently, but it still
    comes to $300/yr. So if you own your computer for 5 years, that's
    $1500. Ouch. Broadband is still too expensive if you ask me.
    Cringely has had some interesting articles on the cost of broadband
    lately, how the US lags other countries, the telco ripoffs etc. At
    least I don't pay for antivirus software.

  3. Re: Linux to Win as Windows Vista Becomes More Expensive Than PCs

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Monday 03 December 2007 20:01 : \____

    > On Dec 3, 9:22 am, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> [...and it's worse than any other O/S]
    >>
    >> Linux Blog Safari: Asus's eeePC and the GPL, Linux in 2008
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | "2008 is seeing the birth of laptop computers below $300: XO, Asus EEE,
    >> | and I guess some new will appear soon," wrote eulernet on a Slashdot
    >> | thread on the topic. "Vista alone is almost more expensive than the
    >> | hardware! Microsoft was a good alternative when computers did cost $1500,
    >> | but now the price is just too heavy. They really can't win when the
    >> | hardware is cheap."

    > Yes, but what's turning into the largest expense is the cost of a
    > broadband connection. We just signed up with AT&T for $25/month.
    > That's cheaper than alternatives I've seen recently, but it still
    > comes to $300/yr. So if you own your computer for 5 years, that's
    > $1500. Ouch. Broadband is still too expensive if you ask me.
    > Cringely has had some interesting articles on the cost of broadband
    > lately, how the US lags other countries, the telco ripoffs etc. At
    > least I don't pay for antivirus software.

    Dana Blakenhorn constantly slams them as well, even though it's off-topic for
    his open source blog. Google can pressure this shared monopoly to lower the
    prices and improve QoS.

    For broadband at home I pay over $200 a year (and that's just for one person
    who uses it for like half an hour a day).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq

+ Reply to Thread