Will Microsoft Ever Learn This Trick Doesn't Work?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, Microsoft refers to a report that just happens to be written by one of
| its employees, but without mentioning that fact.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...his-trick.html

IE7 is very broken (see below), but Microsoft doesn't patch it (sweep under the
carpet instead).

Related:

Effective Evangelism - Microsoft on paying 'independent' people to praise
Microsoft:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

Microsoft FUDwatch II: Internet Explorer vs. Firefox security

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a convenient fiction that buying everything from one vendor makes life
| easier. It may make installation and integration between programs easier, but
| that ease leads to single points of failure. Hijacking a browser is nice, but
| using the browser to dig deep into the OS, to have that hijacking facilitated
| by a too-close tie between the browser and the OS? Even better. Â* Â*
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

When AntiVirus Products (and Internet Explorer) Fail you

,----[ Quote ]
| When Didier Stevens recently took a closer look at some Internet Explorer
| malware that he had found, something surprised him somwehat. He discovered
| that the IE-targeted malware had been obfuscated with null-bytes (0x00) and
| when run against VirusTotal, he found that fewer than half of the products
| identified the sample as malware (15 of 32). When all null-bytes were
| removed, the chances of successful detection improved, though not as much as
| would normally be expected (25 of 32 detections). Â* Â* Â*
`----

http://www.beskerming.com/commentary...orer)_Fail_you

Code posted for Internet Explorer attack

,----[ Quote ]
| "This type of vulnerability has been very popular with malicious
| attacks in the past, and we expect to see its usage increase
| substantially, now that exploit code is publicly available,"
| security vendor Websense. warned in a note published Monday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/87185

Microsoft probes possible IE 7 phishing hole

,----[ Quote ]
| The vulnerability relates to the message IE displays when Web page
| creating a malicious link. The message will offer a link to retry
| showing an arbitrary Web address, he wrote.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6167410.html

Critical IE Graphics Flaw Resurfaces

,----[ Quote ]
| It's bad enough when crooks exploit bugs to ruin a home computer,
| but the consequences of a successful attack can be much worse.
| A substitute teacher in Norwich, Connecticut, found that out when
| a computer she was using in her classroom suddenly started showing
| pornographic pop-up ads to everyone in the class. She now faces up
| to 40 years in prison after being convicted of willfully showing
| her students the images. A security expert hired by her defense,
| however, says he found malicious software on the PC.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/1283...Fkgjhv9oEDW7oF

Monthly Microsoft Patch Hides Tricky IE 7 Download

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion: Microsoft used the January 2007 security update to
| induce users to try Internet Explorer 7.0 whether they wanted
| to or not. But after discovering they had been involuntarily
| upgraded to the new browser, they next found that application
| incompatibility effectively cut them off from the Internet.
`----

Attack code out for 'critical' Windows flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| All recent versions of Windows are vulnerable when all recent
| versions of IE, including IE 7, are in use, according to Microsoft.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6150642.html

IE7 'critical update' causes headaches for managed desktop environments

,----[ Quote ]
| As many organisations may not feel compelled to turn off automatic
| updates, they should be prepared to face this is issue when Internet
| Explorer 7 is downloaded and installed automatically.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...aged_desktops/

IE 7 bugs abound

,----[ Quote ]
| "But browser testers may already be at risk, according to security
| researcher Tom Ferris. Late Tuesday, Ferris released details of a potential
| security flaw in IE 7. An attacker could exploit the flaw by crafting a
| special Web page that could be used to crash the browser or gain complete
| control of a vulnerable system, Ferris said in an advisory on his Web site.
| Microsoft had no immediate comment on Ferris' alert."
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6034...4054&subj=news

Which Is Safer: Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 2.0?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the SmartWare test, Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 blocked 690
| known phishing sites, or 66.35 percent of the total. In contrast,
| Firefox blocked 78.85 percent when using a local antiphishing
| database and 81.54 percent when using the online database.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20061114/bs_nf/47901

Information disclosure bug blights IE7 release

,----[ Quote ]
| The flaw stems from error in the handling of redirections
| for URLs with the "mhtml:" URI handler. Security
| notification firm Secunia reports that the same bug
| was discovered six months ago in IE6 but remains unresolved.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7_first_bug/

IE Used to Launch Instant Messaging and Questionable Clicks

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, you need to visit an infection site using Internet
| Explorer - this exploit doesn't work in Firefox, for example.
`----

http://blog.spywareguide.com/2006/10...nt_mess_1.html

Firefox Still Tops IE for Browser Security

,----[ Quote ]
| "Mozilla is forthcoming about vulnerabilities," Levy said, whereas "it
| takes Microsoft far longer to acknowledge vulnerability."
|
| How much longer? "In the last reporting period, the second half of last
| year, Microsoft had acknowledged 13 vulnerabilities. We've now revised it
| to 31. The difference is that now Microsoft has acknowledged these
| vulnerabilities."
|
| [...]
|
| "Mozilla can turn around on a dime," Levy said. "Open-source programmers
| can recognize a problem and patch it in days or weeks."
|
| And as for Microsoft?
|
| "If a vulnerability is reported to Microsoft, Microsoft doesn't
| acknowledge it for at least a month or two. There's always a certain
| lag between knowing about a bug and acknowledging it," Levy said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...EMLP093006BOE1

IE Exploit Could Soon Be Used By 10,000-plus Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| First reported by Florida-based Sunbelt Software Tuesday, the bug has
| already been used to compromise PCs and load them with scores of adware
| and spyware programs, as well as other malicious code. Users surfing with
| IE 6 and earlier can be infected simply by viewing the wrong site.
`----

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security...RCKH0CJUNN2JVN
http://tinyurl.com/gdkdp

Russian sites using new IE bug to install spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the second unpatched flaw found in IE over the past week. On
| Sept. 14, researchers posted code that could be used to exploit a
| different vulnerability in a multimedia component of the Web browser.
| Microsoft is still investigating that flaw and is not saying whether it
| too will be patched next month.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...rce=rss_news50
http://tinyurl.com/edfdw

Seen in the wild: Zero Day exploit being used to infect PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| The exploit uses a bug in VML in Internet Explorer to overflow a buffer
| and inject shellcode. It is currently on and off again at a number
| of sites.
|
| Security researchers at Microsoft have been informed.
`----

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2006...oit-being.html

Attack code targets new IE hole

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer code that could be used to hijack Windows PCs via a
| yet-to-be-patched Internet Explorer flaw has been posted on the Net,
| experts have warned.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6115966.html

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions. Â*
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but Microsoft's self-evaluating security counting isn't really a
| good accounting.
|
| [...]
|
| The point: Don't count on security flaw counting. The real flaw is
| the counting.
`----

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS?

http://www.masuran.org/node/29

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

http://www.omninerd.com/2007/03/26/articles/74

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views...le.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secu...l_survey_shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows