Proftp Question... - Linux

This is a discussion on Proftp Question... - Linux ; Problem: I am unable to connect to the FTP server either as anonymous or as a user. When I attempt to connnect to the server from itself using its IP 10.0.0.2 It refuses to connect. However when I attempt to ...

  1. Proftp Question...

    Problem:
    I am unable to connect to the FTP server either as anonymous or as a user.
    When I attempt to connnect to the server from itself using its IP 10.0.0.2
    It refuses to connect. However when I attempt to connect from its IP
    127.0.0.1 it givem me the Error 530 message. Address in the 10.0.0.0 series
    exist on a trusted port. The 530 error debug had an unrecogniczed user
    anonymous (i beleive, though I could be wrong). Any ideas?

    System:
    Fedora Core 3 (x86_64). Dual Opteron server.

    proftpd.conf file as follows:
    ---
    # This is the ProFTPD configuration file
    # $Id: proftpd.conf,v 1.1 2004/02/26 17:54:30 thias Exp $

    ServerName Quasar
    ServerIdent on "Quasar FTP Server ready."
    ServerAdmin root@localhost
    ServerType standalone
    #ServerType inetd
    DefaultServer on
    AccessGrantMsg "User %u logged in."
    #DisplayConnect /etc/ftpissue
    #DisplayLogin /etc/ftpmotd
    #DisplayGoAway /etc/ftpgoaway
    DeferWelcome off

    # Use this to excude users from the chroot
    DefaultRoot ~
    DefaultRoot /ftp

    # Use pam to authenticate by default
    AuthPAMAuthoritative on

    # Do not perform ident nor DNS lookups (hangs when the port is filtered)
    IdentLookups off
    UseReverseDNS off

    # Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
    Port 21

    # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
    # from being group and world writable.
    Umask 022

    # Default to show dot files in directory listings
    ListOptions "-a"

    # See Configuration.html for these (here are the default values)
    #MultilineRFC2228 off
    #RootLogin off
    #LoginPasswordPrompt on
    #MaxLoginAttempts 3
    #MaxClientsPerHost none
    #AllowForeignAddress off # For FXP

    # Allow to resume not only the downloads but the uploads too
    AllowRetrieveRestart on
    AllowStoreRestart on

    # To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
    # to 30. If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
    # at once, simply increase this value. Note that this ONLY works
    # in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
    # that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
    # (such as xinetd)
    MaxInstances 20

    # Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
    User nobody
    Group nobody

    # This is where we want to put the pid file
    ScoreboardFile /var/run/proftpd.score

    # Normally, we want users to do a few things.

    AllowOverwrite on

    Order allow,deny

    AllowRetrieveRestart on
    DeferWelcome on
    MaxClients 20 "Too many clients at this time. Please try again."
    MaxClientsPerHost 3 "Too many concurrent connections with host."
    PassivePorts 6501 6600
    ServerIdent on "Connected to Quasar "
    DefaultRoot ~
    DeleteAbortedStores on
    HiddenStor off
    ShowSymlinks off
    AccessDenyMsg "Login failed!"
    AccessGrantMsg "Connected to QUASAR"
    RootLogin off
    AuthAliasOnly off
    DisplayConnect "Welcome to Quasar..."
    DisplayGoAway "Too many connections to server"
    DisplayLogin "Connected to Quasar to Quasar..."
    DisplayQuit Bye!
    MaxLoginAttempts 5
    RequireValidShell off
    AllowForeignAddress on
    AllowStoreRestart on
    TransferLog /ftp/ftptransfer.log

    # Define the log formats
    LogFormat default "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b"
    LogFormat auth "%v [%P] %h %t \"%r\" %s"
    SocketBindTight on
    TimeoutIdle 120
    TimeoutLogin 60
    TimeoutNoTransfer 300
    TimeoutStalled 60

    User ftp
    UserAlias anonymous ftp
    Group ftp
    AllowForeignAddress off
    AllowRetrieveRestart on
    AllowStoreRestart off
    MaxClients 10 "Too many clients at this time. Please try again."
    MaxClientsPerHost 3 "Too many concurrent connections with host."
    DefaultChdir /ftp/pub/
    DeleteAbortedStores on
    HiddenStor off
    HideNoAccess on
    LoginPasswordPrompt off
    AccessDenyMsg "Login failure!"
    AccessGrantMsg "Login successful!"
    RootLogin off
    AnonRequirePassword off
    AuthAliasOnly off
    AllowAll
    AllowOverwrite off
    RequireValidShell off

    RootLogin off
    AuthAliasOnly on
    DisplayConnect Welcome to Quasar...
    DisplayGoAway Too many connections to server
    DisplayLogin Connected to Quasar ...
    DisplayQuit Bye!
    MaxLoginAttempts 5
    LoginPasswordPrompt on
    AllowOverwrite off
    DeleteAbortedStores on
    HiddenStor off
    AllowForeignAddress on
    MaxClients 20 "Too many clients at this time. Please try again."
    MaxClientsPerHost 3 "Too many concurrent connections with host."
    PassivePorts 6501 6600
    tcpNoDelay on
    ShowSymlinks on
    DefaultChdir /ftp
    MultilineRFC2228 on
    TransferLog /ftp/ftptransfer.log

    # TLS
    # Explained at http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/modules/mod_tls.html
    #TLSEngine on
    #TLSRequired on
    #TLSRSACertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/proftpd.pem
    #TLSRSACertificateKeyFile /usr/share/ssl/certs/proftpd.pem
    #TLSCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!DES
    #TLSOptions NoCertRequest
    #TLSVerifyClient off
    ##TLSRenegotiate ctrl 3600 data 512000 required off timeout 300
    #TLSLog /var/log/proftpd/tls.log

    # A basic anonymous configuration, with an upload directory.
    #
    # User ftp
    # Group ftp
    # AccessGrantMsg "Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply."
    #
    # # We want clients to be able to login with "anonymous" as well as "ftp"
    # UserAlias anonymous ftp
    #
    # # Limit the maximum number of anonymous logins
    # MaxClients 10 "Sorry, max %m users -- try again later"
    #
    # # Put the user into /pub right after login
    # #DefaultChdir /pub
    #
    # # We want 'welcome.msg' displayed at login, '.message' displayed in
    # # each newly chdired directory and tell users to read README* files.
    # DisplayLogin /welcome.msg
    # DisplayFirstChdir .message
    # DisplayReadme README*
    #
    # # Some more cosmetic and not vital stuff
    # DirFakeUser on ftpadm
    # DirFakeGroup on ftpadm
    #
    # # Limit WRITE everywhere in the anonymous chroot
    #
    # DenyAll
    #

    #
    # # An upload directory that allows storing files but not retrieving
    # # or creating directories.
    #
    # AllowOverwrite no
    #
    # DenyAll
    #

    #
    #
    # AllowAll
    #

    #

    #
    # # Don't write anonymous accesses to the system wtmp file (good idea!)
    # WtmpLog off
    #
    # # Logging for the anonymous transfers
    # ExtendedLog /var/log/proftpd/access.log WRITE,READ default
    # ExtendedLog /var/log/proftpd/auth.log AUTH auth
    #
    #

    ---

  2. Re: Proftp Question...

    Peter Gnanapragasam wrote:

    > Problem:
    > I am unable to connect to the FTP server either as anonymous or as a user.
    > When I attempt to connnect to the server from itself using its IP 10.0.0.2
    > It refuses to connect. However when I attempt to connect from its IP
    > 127.0.0.1 it givem me the Error 530 message. Address in the 10.0.0.0
    > series
    > exist on a trusted port. The 530 error debug had an unrecogniczed user
    > anonymous (i beleive, though I could be wrong). Any ideas?
    >
    > System:
    > Fedora Core 3 (x86_64). Dual Opteron server.

    Just to hit the obvious... does an account "ftp" actually exist on the
    system? And have you tried logging in as "ftp"?

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: Proftp Question...

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:45:28 +0000, Peter Gnanapragasam wrote:

    > Problem:
    > I am unable to connect to the FTP server either as anonymous or as a user.
    > When I attempt to connnect to the server from itself using its IP 10.0.0.2
    > It refuses to connect. However when I attempt to connect from its IP
    > 127.0.0.1 it givem me the Error 530 message. Address in the 10.0.0.0 series
    > exist on a trusted port. The 530 error debug had an unrecogniczed user
    > anonymous (i beleive, though I could be wrong). Any ideas?
    >

    > # A basic anonymous configuration, with an upload directory.
    > #
    > # User ftp
    > # Group ftp
    > # AccessGrantMsg "Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply."
    > #
    > # # We want clients to be able to login with "anonymous" as well as "ftp"
    > # UserAlias anonymous ftp

    if you want anonymous access.. why are these lines in your .conf still
    commented out?

  4. Re: Proftp Question...

    Because these lines are in the configuration file:

    "Shane" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.06.07.07.37.27.120597@weasel.is-a-geek.net...
    > On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:45:28 +0000, Peter Gnanapragasam wrote:
    >
    >> Problem:
    >> I am unable to connect to the FTP server either as anonymous or as a
    >> user.
    >> When I attempt to connnect to the server from itself using its IP
    >> 10.0.0.2
    >> It refuses to connect. However when I attempt to connect from its IP
    >> 127.0.0.1 it givem me the Error 530 message. Address in the 10.0.0.0
    >> series
    >> exist on a trusted port. The 530 error debug had an unrecogniczed user
    >> anonymous (i beleive, though I could be wrong). Any ideas?
    >>

    >> # A basic anonymous configuration, with an upload directory.
    >> #
    >> # User ftp
    >> # Group ftp
    >> # AccessGrantMsg "Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply."
    >> #
    >> # # We want clients to be able to login with "anonymous" as well as
    >> "ftp"
    >> # UserAlias anonymous ftp

    > if you want anonymous access.. why are these lines in your .conf still
    > commented out?
    >

    > --

+ Reply to Thread