Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family - Linux ; * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply: > Linux Drives Hot Holiday PCs > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Linux machines are cheaper and often more energy efficient than their Windows >| and Mac counterparts. > `---- > > ...

  1. Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > Linux Drives Hot Holiday PCs
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Linux machines are cheaper and often more energy efficient than their Windows
    >| and Mac counterparts.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/60564.html
    >
    > Why I Will Recommend Linux To Family This Year
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| So, my approach to Linux in the family would be to start with the kids!
    >| Okay, I?ll give you a hint, I already have started with them on Linux, and
    >| it?s working.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.velocitywebdev.com/2007/1...ily-this-year/

    Give the gift of Linux!

    I'm going to burn my daughter a set of Linux CD's for Christmas.

    (Joke! Joke!)

    Well, at least it would be better than being given a burned music CD for
    Christmas, as happened to me; I couldn't believe someone would stoop to
    such gauchery.

    --
    Tux rox!

  2. Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linux Drives Hot Holiday PCs
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Linux machines are cheaper and often more energy efficient than their Windows
    >> | and Mac counterparts.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/60564.html
    >>
    >> Why I Will Recommend Linux To Family This Year
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | So, my approach to Linux in the family would be to start with the kids!
    >> | Okay, I?ll give you a hint, I already have started with them on Linux, and
    >> | it?s working.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.velocitywebdev.com/2007/1...ily-this-year/

    > Give the gift of Linux!
    >
    > I'm going to burn my daughter a set of Linux CD's for Christmas.

    Every now and then, I buy a stack of CD-Rs and burn a bunch of Ubuntu
    live CDs and leave them at the local computer stores. CD-Rs are
    basically dirt cheap, so why not?

    > (Joke! Joke!)
    >
    > Well, at least it would be better than being given a burned music CD for
    > Christmas, as happened to me; I couldn't believe someone would stoop to
    > such gauchery.

    I, too, have received a burnt music CD as a gift. I saddest part was
    that it was mostly rap.

    --

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    Elwin Winters

  3. Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family

    ____/ Ben Miller-Jacobson on Monday 03 December 2007 02:25 : \____

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> Linux Drives Hot Holiday PCs
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/60564.html
    >>>
    >>> Why I Will Recommend Linux To Family This Year
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    http://www.velocitywebdev.com/2007/1...ily-this-year/

    >> Give the gift of Linux!
    >>
    >> I'm going to burn my daughter a set of Linux CD's for Christmas.

    > Every now and then, I buy a stack of CD-Rs and burn a bunch of Ubuntu
    > live CDs and leave them at the local computer stores. CD-Rs are
    > basically dirt cheap, so why not?

    Pretty much /any/ gift which involves knowledge/art/code can be reproduced
    infinitely, and almost for free (in terms of cost). This assumes that you're
    not messing about with copyrighted garbage, which loses attraction as time
    goes by because of DRM and planned obsolesce embodied in physical
    media/format.

    >> (Joke! Joke!)
    >>
    >> Well, at least it would be better than being given a burned music CD for
    >> Christmas, as happened to me; I couldn't believe someone would stoop to
    >> such gauchery.
    >>

    > I, too, have received a burnt music CD as a gift. I saddest part was
    > that it was mostly rap.

    When I was 15, this girl I was with bought me a CD for Christmas, but I, in
    return, burned her a couple. I guess that makes me one of those who "stoop to
    such gauchery," but it was actually just part of a broader set of gifts. I'm
    still wearing that necklace she bought me (even at the moment) and we're still
    in touch sometimes.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
    Cpu(s): 25.3%us, 4.0%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.3%id, 4.0%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st

  4. Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family

    Linonut wrote:

    > Well, at least it would be better than being given a burned music CD for
    > Christmas, as happened to me; I couldn't believe someone would stoop to
    > such gauchery.

    Actually, If they make a point to learn my musical tastes and
    try to put together the perfect mixed CD, I would prefer that to
    some overpriced consumer bauble that I have no use for. I am a
    big believer in the saying 'its the thought that counts', and I
    think far to much emphasis is placed on conspicuous consumption
    this time of year and not enough on appreciating our family and
    friends.

    Happy Holidays,

    Thad

  5. Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Well, at least it would be better than being given a burned music CD for
    >> Christmas, as happened to me; I couldn't believe someone would stoop to
    >> such gauchery.

    > Actually, If they make a point to learn my musical tastes and
    > try to put together the perfect mixed CD, I would prefer that to
    > some overpriced consumer bauble that I have no use for. I am a
    > big believer in the saying 'its the thought that counts', and I
    > think far to much emphasis is placed on conspicuous consumption
    > this time of year and not enough on appreciating our family and
    > friends.
    >
    > Happy Holidays,
    >
    > Thad

    You certainly have a point. However, when you get a CD full of random
    crap from bit torrent that has nothing to do with your tastes, it feels
    like the result of laziness more than anything.
    --

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    Rich

  6. Re: [News] Linux Very Suitable as a Gift, Main Platform for Family

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, at least it would be better than being given a burned music CD for
    >> Christmas, as happened to me; I couldn't believe someone would stoop to
    >> such gauchery.

    > Actually, If they make a point to learn my musical tastes and
    > try to put together the perfect mixed CD, I would prefer that to
    > some overpriced consumer bauble that I have no use for. I am a
    > big believer in the saying 'its the thought that counts', and I
    > think far to much emphasis is placed on conspicuous consumption
    > this time of year and not enough on appreciating our family and
    > friends.

    A "mix" CD to share your favorites with a friend is one thing. Duping a
    boxed CD to give away as a present is just gauche. I'd rather not have
    such a gift.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread