[News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail - Linux ; Arnold Schwarzenegger Chooses Google SaaS Over Microsoft Exchange ,----[ Quote ] | California has formed a working group to figure out whether roughly 250,000 | of its workers should move their e-mail, messaging and calendaring system to | a hosted ...

  1. [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    Arnold Schwarzenegger Chooses Google SaaS Over Microsoft Exchange

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | California has formed a working group to figure out whether roughly 250,000
    | of its workers should move their e-mail, messaging and calendaring system to
    | a hosted service and it's a toss up as to whether Google or Microsoft would
    | get the multimillion-dollar contract, according to InformationWeek.
    `----

    http://ajax.sys-con.com/read/468743.htm

    Related:

    FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
    | hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
    | deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
    | Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
    | computers pass their shelf life.
    `----

    Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The story had a certain flair. In early March, the chief information
    | officer of the Federal Aviation Administration, David Bowen, was
    | reportedly considering forsaking Microsoft Windows and Office in
    | favor of the Linux operating system and the Web-based Google Apps
    | Premium office suite.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
    >| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
    >| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
    >| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
    >| computers pass their shelf life.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=197800480

    They'd better start now. The Munich example indicates some of the
    difficulties of a transition.

    You need a lot of chemo for the Microsoft cancer.

    > Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The story had a certain flair. In early March, the chief information
    >| officer of the Federal Aviation Administration, David Bowen, was
    >| reportedly considering forsaking Microsoft Windows and Office in
    >| favor of the Linux operating system and the Web-based Google Apps
    >| Premium office suite.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/57534.html

    This wouldn't topple MS. It might be able to offer them some
    competition.

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    Linonut wrote:

    > You need a lot of chemo for the Microsoft cancer.

    Signed,
    A Windows Developer For Life

  4. Re: [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> You need a lot of chemo for the Microsoft cancer.

    > Signed,
    > A Windows Developer For Life

    Bull****. Total bull****.

    Is /that/ all you got, peckerwood?

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    On Dec 2, 5:35 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Arnold Schwarzenegger Chooses Google SaaS Over Microsoft Exchange
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | California has formed a working group to figure out whether roughly 250,000
    > | of its workers should move their e-mail, messaging and calendaring system to
    > | a hosted service and it's a toss up as to whether Google or Microsoft would
    > | get the multimillion-dollar contract, according to InformationWeek.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ajax.sys-con.com/read/468743.htm

    Well Google is a California company, and Microsoft is not...also,
    Microsoft is roundly hated in Silicon Valley (the "Beast of Redmond"
    you know).

  6. Re: California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    ____/ jeanzo22@gmail.com on Monday 03 December 2007 15:28 : \____

    > On Dec 2, 5:35 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Arnold Schwarzenegger Chooses Google SaaS Over Microsoft Exchange
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | California has formed a working group to figure out whether roughly
    >> | 250,000 of its workers should move their e-mail, messaging and calendaring
    >> | system to a hosted service and it's a toss up as to whether Google or
    >> | Microsoft would get the multimillion-dollar contract, according to
    >> | InformationWeek.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ajax.sys-con.com/read/468743.htm

    > Well Google is a California company, and Microsoft is not...also,
    > Microsoft is roundly hated in Silicon Valley (the "Beast of Redmond"
    > you know).

    Scott M. Fulton, III:

    "When faced with a situation where the only rational option is for
    Microsoft to solve its own problems, Microsoft chooses instead to go
    on the attack against some outside enemy that could potentially expose
    or spotlight those problems. As a result, those problems may never be
    solved, but the enemy du jour becomes so damaged that the continued
    existence of those problems in the context of the industry as a whole,
    becomes inconsequential. To this day, serious bugs and deficiencies in
    Microsoft's operating systems and applications, discovered by myself
    and others and duly reported to Microsoft, remain uncorrected, quite
    possibly for fear of the political cost of exposing the problem by
    making the world aware of its solution.

    Microsoft's distorted perception of the computing industry, and of the
    world as a whole, is important because of a fact which Judge Jackson
    came to realize but, all too soon, commented on: Any conduct remedy
    which relies solely upon Microsoft's own ability to scrutinize,
    admonish, and improve itself through its own means, will be treated by
    Microsoft's executives with disrespect and contempt. It's like a
    parent ordering his wayward son to shape up. The executives of
    Microsoft are as unwilling to consider such an order as an adolescent
    boy, bottled up in his room, is willing to remove his headphones and
    listen to his dad for five seconds. They are likely to ignore such an
    order altogether. I say this with the utmost respect: They don't give
    a damn what you think."

  7. Re: [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> You need a lot of chemo for the Microsoft cancer.

    >> Signed,
    >> A Windows Developer For Life

    > Bull****. Total bull****.

    How long you been developing for Windows as your primary source of income?
    How much longer do you expect to be developing for Windows as your primary
    source of income?

    > Is /that/ all you got, peckerwood?

    Heck no!

  8. Re: [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Signed,
    >>> A Windows Developer For Life

    >> Bull****. Total bull****.

    > How long you been developing for Windows as your primary source of income?
    > How much longer do you expect to be developing for Windows as your primary
    > source of income?

    Who knows? But doing some of my coding for Windows hardly qualifies me
    as a "Windows developer for life".

    Now, if you were to say "C/C++ developer for life", that I would feel is
    correct. Currently, I wrote almost no code that is Windows-only. And
    the customer approves it.

    --
    I am Linonut and I approve this post.

  9. Re: [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Bull****. Total bull****.

    >> How long you been developing for Windows as your primary source of
    >> income? How much longer do you expect to be developing for Windows
    >> as your primary source of income?

    > Who knows?

    You know, to at least the year and probably to the year-month, how long
    you've been
    developing code for the Windows platform. My first paying "IT" work was
    late 1986, when my bosses at Wang Labs wanted some spreadsheets. I built
    some sheets and Lotus macros to summarize financial data. I suppose the
    Wang PCs ran MS-DOS, but I don't remember. The first paying work I did on
    Windows was mid-1990 when I worked at IBM.

    > But doing some of my coding for Windows hardly qualifies
    > me as a "Windows developer for life".
    >
    > Now, if you were to say "C/C++ developer for life", that I would feel
    > is correct. Currently, I wrote almost no code that is Windows-only.
    > And the customer approves it.

    This is how you pretend to yourself you're not a Windows developer. Even
    though you write and test code on Windows and it's deployed virtually 100%
    on Windows, since it may run cross-platform you tell yourself it's not
    "Windows code".

  10. Re: [News] California Might Say "Hasta La Vista" to Microsoft E-mail

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >>> How long you been developing for Windows as your primary source of
    >>> income? How much longer do you expect to be developing for Windows
    >>> as your primary source of income?

    >> Who knows?

    > You know, to at least the year and probably to the year-month, how long
    > you've been
    > developing code for the Windows platform. My first paying "IT" work was
    > late 1986, when my bosses at Wang Labs wanted some spreadsheets. I built
    > some sheets and Lotus macros to summarize financial data. I suppose the
    > Wang PCs ran MS-DOS, but I don't remember. The first paying work I did on
    > Windows was mid-1990 when I worked at IBM.

    Until about 1984, I wrote stuff that ran on DEC equipment. From about
    1985 to 1990, it was a mish mash of stuff, but a lot of it was for DOS.
    Windows started coming into the mix for me then. After 1994 it was
    almost all Windows until about 2000, when I started getting the Linux
    bug.

    >> is correct. Currently, I wrote almost no code that is Windows-only.
    >> And the customer approves it.

    > This is how you pretend to yourself you're not a Windows developer. Even
    > though you write and test code on Windows and it's deployed virtually 100%
    > on Windows, since it may run cross-platform you tell yourself it's not
    > "Windows code".

    Whatever floats your barge, sarge. My time on the current project was
    almost all Linux work. Other people are refining the code on the
    Windows side, and I'm fixing bugs at both ends.

    I don't do VB or .NET, so I don't know how you can characterize me as a
    "Windows developer for life." Hell, I've haven't even used C# yet.

    All this /might/ happen in the future, but I doubt it. They'll hire
    more people for that, rather than have me learn it at their expense.
    They'll continue to use me for what I do best: C/C++ on Linux and
    Windows.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread