Linux Keyboard - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Keyboard - Linux ; I thought some of you might like this! http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur...

  1. Linux Keyboard

    I thought some of you might like this!

    http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

  2. Re: Linux Keyboard

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 02:27:48 +0100, Hadron
    wrote:

    >I thought some of you might like this!
    >
    >http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    If Cherry in fact really makes it thats a good thing because I believe
    they made the original IBM keyboards.

  3. Re: Linux Keyboard

    Hadron :

    > I thought some of you might like this!
    >
    > http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    I'd buy it. Damn straight. If someone in the UK will ship it to Canada
    for me.

    --
    Q: Why does Helen Keller masturbate with one hand?
    A: So she can moan with the other!

    www.websterscafe.com

  4. Re: Linux Keyboard

    * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    > I thought some of you might like this!
    >
    > http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    I'd rather have a Happy Hacking keyboard. However, they're costly, so I
    have to have the ****ing Windows key, yet another sign of an obnoxious
    monopoly. (I wonder what the royalty is to use that god-damned logo.)

    So what can I do? Wellllll, take a lookee here at this extract from my
    ~/.fluxbox/keys file:

    Mod4 Menu :WindowMenu

    ! Moves window to the given Xinerama screen

    Control Mod4 1 :SetHead 1
    Control Mod4 2 :SetHead 2

    Mod4 p :CycleDecor
    Mod4 d :ToggleDecor
    Mod4 h :Shade
    Mod4 s :Stick
    Mod4 i :Iconify
    Mod4 m :Maximize
    Mod4 v :MaximizeVertical
    Mod4 w :MaximizeHorizontal

    Mod 4 is the Windows key. There's a few functional bits in the above
    that I've never seen in Windows.

    I'll bet the keyboard is too big to fit it and a ball-mouse on a
    slide-out keyboard tray, too. I had to rig up a wooden attachment
    to my computer desk to keep the mouse at the same level as the keyboard.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Linux Keyboard

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> I thought some of you might like this!
    >>
    >> http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    > I'd rather have a Happy Hacking keyboard. However, they're costly,
    > so I have to have the ****ing Windows key, yet another sign of an
    > obnoxious monopoly.

    Put some black tape over it and dry your tears, ya lamer.

    > (I wonder what the royalty is to use that
    > god-damned logo.)

    Being a Windows developer, you can easily afford it.

  6. Re: Linux Keyboard

    In article ,
    flatfish wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 02:27:48 +0100, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I thought some of you might like this!
    > >
    > >http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    > If Cherry in fact really makes it thats a good thing because I believe
    > they made the original IBM keyboards.

    Oh good ****ing god. WHY WON'T YOU DIE@!!#@$

    -----yttrx

  7. Re: Linux Keyboard

  8. Re: Linux Keyboard

  9. Re: Linux Keyboard

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 02:27:48 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > I thought some of you might like this!
    >
    > http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    Nece. I think it's the one Linux Format sometimes gives away with
    subscription offers. I just wish they did a curved version - I find it
    difficult to use a straight one, they hurt my wrists. I've got a quite
    nice curved USB one from MS, though I would have liked a split one like
    the old PS/2 on my FrankenPC.

    --
    Kier

  10. Re: Linux Keyboard

    Kier writes:

    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 02:27:48 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> I thought some of you might like this!
    >>
    >> http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    > Nece. I think it's the one Linux Format sometimes gives away with
    > subscription offers. I just wish they did a curved version - I find it
    > difficult to use a straight one, they hurt my wrists. I've got a quite
    > nice curved USB one from MS, though I would have liked a split one like
    > the old PS/2 on my FrankenPC.

    I used an ergo keyboard for a while and found it to be overrated. Better
    to just take short breaks.

    Cherry, FWIW, certainly make the best keyboards at the moment IMO. The
    best one I ever had was for my Nascom 2 way back. A real mans keyboard
    that one - real industrial strength and cut out the need to go to a gym.

    http://numba-tu.com/nascomhomepage.com/pics/NASKBD.JPG

    I *think* it was a cherry but can not be 100% sure.

    --
    Your step will soil many countries.

  11. Re: Linux Keyboard

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:25:48 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 02:27:48 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> I thought some of you might like this!
    >>>
    >>> http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    >> Nece. I think it's the one Linux Format sometimes gives away with
    >> subscription offers. I just wish they did a curved version - I find it
    >> difficult to use a straight one, they hurt my wrists. I've got a quite
    >> nice curved USB one from MS, though I would have liked a split one like
    >> the old PS/2 on my FrankenPC.

    > I used an ergo keyboard for a while and found it to be overrated. Better
    > to just take short breaks.

    Doesn't work for me. I just can't use one of those straight boards any
    more.

  12. Re: Linux Keyboard

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Put some black tape over it and dry your tears, ya lamer.
    >
    > Being a Windows developer, you can easily afford it.

    Thanks for a fairly stupid response.

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Linux Keyboard

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Put some black tape over it and dry your tears, ya lamer.

    Or try some black paint, or some thinner. Of if thine Windows key offends
    thee, pluck it out.

    I just held my (cheapy but comfy low-travel) MS Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
    up to the light at an angle, and damn if the key labels don't look like
    stick-ons, rather than etched in.

    >> Being a Windows developer, you can easily afford it.

    > Thanks for a fairly stupid response.

    Stupid was your whine about "****ing Windows key" and "obnoxious monopoly".
    Thankfully, they have such a dominant presence that you've been able to make
    a living developing for Windows all these years. And you probably always
    will. Peter Kohlmann et all, too.

  14. Re: Linux Keyboard

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Stupid was your whine about "****ing Windows key" and "obnoxious monopoly".

    Not at all stupid. It is the obvious, and ironclad, answer to your
    silly claims that "Microsoft is not and never was a monopoly".

    You should be ashamed of yourself.

    > Thankfully, they have such a dominant presence that you've been able to make
    > a living developing for Windows all these years.

    Actually, dude, I'd be making a living developing on whatever was the
    common platform for my customers. Be it DOS, UNIX, Windows, RT-11,
    RSX-11, or even the quirky HP RTE-IV.

    > And you probably always will. Peter Kohlmann et all, too.

    At least for me and Peter, DFS, if Microsoft suddenly went belly up, we
    would still have creative work to do.

    You'd simply be maintaining "legacy" software on a dying platform.

    --
    "If you're printer is incompatible with Vista I say 'Buy a new
    printer!'" -- The "PC", in a Mac advertisement.

  15. Re: Linux Keyboard

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Stupid was your whine about "****ing Windows key" and "obnoxious
    >> monopoly".

    > Not at all stupid. It is the obvious, and ironclad, answer to your
    > silly claims that "Microsoft is not and never was a monopoly".

    And never can be, thanks to the existence of various PC operating systems
    and office software. But then you knew that - you just like to assuage your
    guilt and ingratiate yourself with the cola crowd and toss around idiocy
    like monopoly and evil and cancer.

    > You should be ashamed of yourself.

    For what?

    >> Thankfully, they have such a dominant presence that you've been able
    >> to make a living developing for Windows all these years.

    > Actually, dude, I'd be making a living developing on whatever was the
    > common platform for my customers. Be it DOS, UNIX, Windows, RT-11,
    > RSX-11, or even the quirky HP RTE-IV.

    Same here most likely, but I wouldn't slither onto Usenet and whine all
    night that they're evil and a cancer (or in Kohlmann's case label all
    Windows users without exception extremely stupid).

    >> And you probably always will. Peter Kohlmann et all, too.

    > At least for me and Peter, DFS, if Microsoft suddenly went belly up,

    Wake up and clean yourself. You're having a cola nut's wet dream.

    > we would still have creative work to do.
    > You'd simply be maintaining "legacy" software on a dying platform.

    No problem. I'll still have the same freedom and control and hourly rate.

  16. Re: Linux Keyboard

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Not at all stupid. It is the obvious, and ironclad, answer to your
    >> silly claims that "Microsoft is not and never was a monopoly".

    > And never can be, thanks to the existence of various PC operating systems
    > and office software. But then you knew that - you just like to assuage your
    > guilt and ingratiate yourself with the cola crowd and toss around idiocy
    > like monopoly and evil and cancer.

    Not at all.

    But, feel free to keep your eyes closed.

    The monopoly is indeed weakening, especially for fellows like us that
    have the savvy to build our own systems.

    Consumers? Until major vendors (aside from IBM) throw the "L" word
    around on teevee or in normal magazines, it is Windows or Mac.

    >> Actually, dude, I'd be making a living developing on whatever was the
    >> common platform for my customers. Be it DOS, UNIX, Windows, RT-11,
    >> RSX-11, or even the quirky HP RTE-IV.

    > Same here most likely, but I wouldn't slither onto Usenet and whine all
    > night that they're evil and a cancer (or in Kohlmann's case label all
    > Windows users without exception extremely stupid).

    Microsoft /is/ a cancer. It has grown at the expense of many other
    businesses.

    I had a fellow say, "Yes, but Microsoft has also created/fed many other
    businesses." Yes, to the benefit of Microsoft.

    >> we would still have creative work to do.
    >> You'd simply be maintaining "legacy" software on a dying platform.

    > No problem. I'll still have the same freedom and control and hourly rate.

    For awhile, anyway. There's still COBOL and PL/I systems out there
    .

    DFS -- "Designed for Windows XP"

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Linux Keyboard

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> Not at all stupid. It is the obvious, and ironclad, answer to your
    >>> silly claims that "Microsoft is not and never was a monopoly".

    >> And never can be, thanks to the existence of various PC operating systems
    >> and office software. But then you knew that - you just like to assuage your
    >> guilt and ingratiate yourself with the cola crowd and toss around idiocy
    >> like monopoly and evil and cancer.

    > Not at all.
    >
    > But, feel free to keep your eyes closed.
    >
    > The monopoly is indeed weakening, especially for fellows like us that
    > have the savvy to build our own systems.
    >
    > Consumers? Until major vendors (aside from IBM) throw the "L" word
    > around on teevee or in normal magazines, it is Windows or Mac.
    >
    >>> Actually, dude, I'd be making a living developing on whatever was the
    >>> common platform for my customers. Be it DOS, UNIX, Windows, RT-11,
    >>> RSX-11, or even the quirky HP RTE-IV.

    >> Same here most likely, but I wouldn't slither onto Usenet and whine all
    >> night that they're evil and a cancer (or in Kohlmann's case label all
    >> Windows users without exception extremely stupid).

    > Microsoft /is/ a cancer. It has grown at the expense of many other
    > businesses.
    >
    > I had a fellow say, "Yes, but Microsoft has also created/fed many other
    > businesses." Yes, to the benefit of Microsoft.
    >
    >>> we would still have creative work to do.
    >>> You'd simply be maintaining "legacy" software on a dying platform.

    >> No problem. I'll still have the same freedom and control and hourly rate.

    > For awhile, anyway. There's still COBOL and PL/I systems out there
    > .
    >
    > DFS -- "Designed for Windows XP"

    COBOL is a bit before my time. Is it truely as bad as they say?

  18. Re: Linux Keyboard

    Ben Miller-Jacobson wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:

    < snip >

    >> For awhile, anyway. There's still COBOL and PL/I systems out there
    >> .
    >>

    > COBOL is a bit before my time. Is it truely as bad as they say?

    No, not at all. It is different

    It is extremely "wordy". Stuff you express with a single line of code in C
    or C++ takes often several lines in Cobol. Alone the "Declaration" sections
    of the functions take often several screens, before you even start to code
    the actual function

    --
    Windows isn't unstable. It's spontaneous.

  19. Re: Linux Keyboard

  20. Re: Linux Keyboard

    * ed fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> I thought some of you might like this!
    >>>
    >>> http://www.getdigital.de/products/Cy...Linux_Tastatur

    >> monopoly. (I wonder what the royalty is to use that god-damned logo.)

    > I don't know, but it seems rather official:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_key#Licensing

    Users of non-Windows systems may be frustrated by having a
    Windows-specific logo on their keyboard. For this reason, sets of
    stickers and key-caps are available, mainly from online stores, which
    can be used to restyle the Windows keys with a Tux image, a KDE or
    specific Linux distribution logo, or other graphics. Some keyboard
    manufacturers, such as Cherry, also produce keyboards with a Tux key.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread