[News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source - Linux ; Es operating system http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8 iPhone Dev Team to Open Source Free Unlock Software ,----[ Quote ] | In an effort to keep up with Apple's changes at a faster speed, the iPhone | Dev Team is considering open sourcing AnySIM, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

  1. [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    Es operating system

    http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    iPhone Dev Team to Open Source Free Unlock Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an effort to keep up with Apple's changes at a faster speed, the iPhone
    | Dev Team is considering open sourcing AnySIM, the free unlocking solution for
    | the iPhone.
    `----

    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/exclusive...are-328846.php


    Related and very recent (and exciting!):

    Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
    | hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this along
    | with a relevant Xorg driver. *
    `----

    http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

  2. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >
    > Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number
    > | of hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for
    > | this along with a relevant Xorg driver.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190


    Fantastic. Now would be a good time for Sony to step up and opensource what
    they've been trying to hide. Also, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt
    that DRM and PROPRIETARY have no logical meaning once you release it for
    public consumption.



    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source



    ____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 02 December 2007 18:46 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >>
    >> Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number
    >> | of hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for
    >> | this along with a relevant Xorg driver.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

    >
    > Fantastic. Now would be a good time for Sony to step up and opensource what
    > they've been trying to hide. Also, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt
    > that DRM and PROPRIETARY have no logical meaning once you release it for
    > public consumption.


    A colleague of mine knows the PS2 fairly well and he told me that the PS2 is
    based on UNIX/Linux, which I found odd (still finding it hard to believe).

    Either way, the great demand for Linux in China and Japan (they use it a lot
    but quietly in devices) has recently led to Chinese and Japanese translations
    of the entire Linux kernel!!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Swap: 1510068k total, 373776k used, 1136292k free, 66076k cached
    http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms

  4. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source


    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    news:1237852.Ky2h1BCnWe@schestowitz.com...

    > Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >
    > Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number

    of
    > | hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this

    along
    > | with a relevant Xorg driver.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190


    Don't you mean Sony? Either way, I wonder how long it will last, I would
    say until the next patch, after they release the module. So unless you
    don't buy games or hook up to Sony network. I guess you can use the Linux
    with the GPU.
    Sony is great for patchs, first breaks a game, next patch first that game,
    but breaks another game. Slow ass downloads and then it has to install the
    patch or demo....



  5. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhoneUnlock Might Go Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >
    > Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
    > | hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this along
    > | with a relevant Xorg driver.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190


    I had been considering buying a PS3 as my next PC for a while now, but
    the lack of GPU access was all that stopped me. This settles it: once
    they have this working well enough, I am buying one. You _can't_ get a
    desktop with specs as good as a PS3's, especially for the price. The
    processor in one of those things is just ridiculous! I can't remember
    how much memory they have, though.

    --

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    Willy Wong

  6. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >
    >
    > ____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 02 December 2007 18:46 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >>>
    >>> Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A
    >>> | number of hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel
    >>> | module for this along with a relevant Xorg driver.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

    >>
    >> Fantastic. Now would be a good time for Sony to step up and opensource
    >> what they've been trying to hide. Also, this proves beyond a shadow of a
    >> doubt that DRM and PROPRIETARY have no logical meaning once you release
    >> it for public consumption.

    >
    > A colleague of mine knows the PS2 fairly well and he told me that the PS2
    > is based on UNIX/Linux, which I found odd (still finding it hard to
    > believe).
    >
    > Either way, the great demand for Linux in China and Japan (they use it a
    > lot but quietly in devices) has recently led to Chinese and Japanese
    > translations of the entire Linux kernel!!
    >


    Hmmm... if the PS2 is based on linux... where's the source code? This could
    be something interesting.


    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  7. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source



    ____/ Jerry McBride on Monday 03 December 2007 00:30 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> ____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 02 December 2007 18:46 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >>>>
    >>>> Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >>>>
    >>>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>> | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A
    >>>> | number of hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel
    >>>> | module for this along with a relevant Xorg driver.
    >>>> `----
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190
    >>>
    >>> Fantastic. Now would be a good time for Sony to step up and opensource
    >>> what they've been trying to hide. Also, this proves beyond a shadow of a
    >>> doubt that DRM and PROPRIETARY have no logical meaning once you release
    >>> it for public consumption.

    >>
    >> A colleague of mine knows the PS2 fairly well and he told me that the PS2
    >> is based on UNIX/Linux, which I found odd (still finding it hard to
    >> believe).
    >>
    >> Either way, the great demand for Linux in China and Japan (they use it a
    >> lot but quietly in devices) has recently led to Chinese and Japanese
    >> translations of the entire Linux kernel!!
    >>

    >
    > Hmmm... if the PS2 is based on linux... where's the source code? This could
    > be something interesting.


    That's just what /I/ thought. Also, wouldn't that suggest that the next
    iteration (PS3) inherits these POSIX roots? Anyway, I doubt the whole thing is
    true. It'll be intresting to see over the next 5 years how many PS3 owners
    will experiment with PS3 Linuxes, which will sooner or later have full access
    to the graphics engine (out of the box), making it a full-blown Cell-based
    personal computer (or rendering farm, or whatever).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
    http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    01:20:01 up 33 days, 5:18, 3 users, load average: 1.48, 1.38, 1.55
    http://iuron.com - Open Source knowledge engine project

  8. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    ____/ Ben Miller-Jacobson on Monday 03 December 2007 00:22 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >>
    >> Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
    >> | hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this
    >> | along with a relevant Xorg driver.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

    >
    > I had been considering buying a PS3 as my next PC for a while now, but
    > the lack of GPU access was all that stopped me. This settles it: once
    > they have this working well enough, I am buying one. You _can't_ get a
    > desktop with specs as good as a PS3's, especially for the price. The
    > processor in one of those things is just ridiculous! I can't remember
    > how much memory they have, though.


    You forget the Blu-ray drive! :-) How much is /that/ worth?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open minds, open source
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Mem: 515500k total, 460288k used, 55212k free, 772k buffers
    http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms

  9. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhoneUnlock Might Go Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Ben Miller-Jacobson on Monday 03 December 2007 00:22 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Related and very recent (and exciting!):
    >>>
    >>> Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
    >>> | hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this
    >>> | along with a relevant Xorg driver.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

    >> I had been considering buying a PS3 as my next PC for a while now, but
    >> the lack of GPU access was all that stopped me. This settles it: once
    >> they have this working well enough, I am buying one. You _can't_ get a
    >> desktop with specs as good as a PS3's, especially for the price. The
    >> processor in one of those things is just ridiculous! I can't remember
    >> how much memory they have, though.

    >
    > You forget the Blu-ray drive! :-) How much is /that/ worth?
    >

    Good point. Do you know if the drive also can burn any sort of media? If
    not (which seams very likely) I will need to find a good external drive
    or figure out how to let it burn disks using my desktop over my LAN or
    something.

    --

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    Kinglen Wang

  10. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > A colleague of mine knows the PS2 fairly well and he told me that the PS2 is
    > based on UNIX/Linux, which I found odd (still finding it hard to believe).
    >
    > Either way, the great demand for Linux in China and Japan (they use it a lot
    > but quietly in devices) has recently led to Chinese and Japanese translations
    > of the entire Linux kernel!!


    Actually, we use it in devices in Europe and North America more than
    many people realize, and that is only accelerating. I currently
    have more requests for embedded consulting jobs than I have time to
    respond to. While wages are stagnant in many sectors, they are on
    the way up in this particular niche. My recent contract on the
    east coast is a result of that. One of the head hunters I work with
    kept pitching me jobs from all over the country. I kept telling
    him I was only interested in telecommuting or working closer to
    home. Then he quoted me the rate this recent one was willing to pay
    and I answered with 'I can be on a plane next week.'

    Linux is REALLY cooking in the embedded space. A lot of new
    products are in the pipeline, and that is having a positive
    spill-over in the desktop space as those vendors expand their
    pool of Linux programmers and support people.

    Later,

    Thad


  11. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > That's just what /I/ thought. Also, wouldn't that suggest that the next
    > iteration (PS3) inherits these POSIX roots? Anyway, I doubt the whole thing is
    > true. It'll be intresting to see over the next 5 years how many PS3 owners
    > will experiment with PS3 Linuxes, which will sooner or later have full access
    > to the graphics engine (out of the box), making it a full-blown Cell-based
    > personal computer (or rendering farm, or whatever).


    If the rumors about the 3D breakthrough are true, I might be one of
    those people playing with PS3 Linux.

    Thad


  12. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > One of the head hunters I work with
    > kept pitching me jobs from all over the country. I kept telling
    > him I was only interested in telecommuting or working closer to
    > home. Then he quoted me the rate this recent one was willing to pay
    > and I answered with 'I can be on a plane next week.'


    I bet it's not enough to entice Linonut to leave his Windows developer job.




  13. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Monday 03 December 2007 03:25 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> That's just what /I/ thought. Also, wouldn't that suggest that the next
    >> iteration (PS3) inherits these POSIX roots? Anyway, I doubt the whole thing
    >> is true. It'll be intresting to see over the next 5 years how many PS3
    >> owners will experiment with PS3 Linuxes, which will sooner or later have
    >> full access to the graphics engine (out of the box), making it a full-blown
    >> Cell-based personal computer (or rendering farm, or whatever).

    >
    > If the rumors about the 3D breakthrough are true, I might be one of
    > those people playing with PS3 Linux.
    >
    > Thad


    QuakeWars (ET) has just come to Linux (native even) and it's significantly
    faster on Linux than it is on Vista (even without a Cell beast). There are
    some other state-of-the-art games coming to Linux.

    To say more about Blu-Ray, dumping copies of them onto the Linux partition has
    been possible since the start, but they could not be decrypted at the time. I
    think BR DRM was cracked a couple of months ago, so...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Community is code, code is community
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    http://iuron.com - proposing a non-profit search engine

  14. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    So anyway, it was like, 14:33 CET Dec 03 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Linonut was all like, "Dude,

    > My God, DFS, there's no need for you to /pretend/ to be an idiot.


    What I'm wondering is if he can ever pretend to be something but.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    14:44:32 up 7 days, 22:57, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.02, 0.00
    Linux 2.6.23.8 x86_64 GNU/Linux Registered Linux user #261729

  15. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > QuakeWars (ET) has just come to Linux (native even) and it's significantly
    > faster on Linux than it is on Vista (even without a Cell beast). There are
    > some other state-of-the-art games coming to Linux.


    Well I'm still quietly working on my airship game in my meager
    spare time. I was going to shelve it, but the GF has actually
    been encouraging me to keep the project alive. As soon as I
    get the network code stable, I'm going to do another release.
    I'll probably post a notice here as I'll want a few people
    to stress test the game server. I've a colo server on a 10MB
    backbone connection that is practically dormant at the moment,
    so I might as well put it to good use.

    Thad

  16. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    DFS wrote:
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> One of the head hunters I work with
    >> kept pitching me jobs from all over the country. I kept telling
    >> him I was only interested in telecommuting or working closer to
    >> home. Then he quoted me the rate this recent one was willing to pay
    >> and I answered with 'I can be on a plane next week.'

    >
    > I bet it's not enough to entice Linonut to leave his Windows developer job.


    Well, only Linonut can answer that, though my contract details are
    usually under NDA, and I wouldn't post that sort of thing here
    anyway. I'll just say that when this contract is done in a few
    months, I am seriously considering taking the rest of 2008 off.

    OK, I am exaggerating a bit... but not much.

    Thad

  17. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    Linonut wrote:
    >
    > By the way, what part of "Linonut is working on a Linux project" do you
    > /not/ understand? I spent a lot of this weekend working on bash
    > scripts to build and deploy our code.


    My weekend was spent helping a client back in Milwaukee with a mail
    server migration. The on-site technician did the basic Debian
    install, and then I logged in remotely and configured all the
    software. It is nice piling up the billable hours, but eventually
    I think I'll want my weekends back. :-/

    Thad


  18. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > I'll just say that when this contract is done in a few
    > months, I am seriously considering taking the rest of 2008 off.
    >
    > OK, I am exaggerating a bit... but not much.


    Only 2008?




  19. Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

    DFS wrote:
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >
    >> I'll just say that when this contract is done in a few
    >> months, I am seriously considering taking the rest of 2008 off.
    >>
    >> OK, I am exaggerating a bit... but not much.

    >
    > Only 2008?


    Early retirement is still a few years off. I'm positioning myself
    so I can live off of rental income and work only when I want to,
    but to get there I'll have to do the consulting slog for a few
    more years. I already pull in a living wage's worth of rental
    income but right now a good chunk of it is absorbed by mortgage
    payments. As the loans pay off, early retirement becomes a real
    option. I will take part of 2008 off but only so I can renovate
    the new property.

    Later,

    Thad


+ Reply to Thread