Linux head to head with Windows NT - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux head to head with Windows NT - Linux ; The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-) NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10...

  1. Linux head to head with Windows NT

    The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)

    NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

  2. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    "OK" wrote in message

    > The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >
    > NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    oh yes - NT = 0.63%........

  3. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    OK writes:

    > The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >
    > NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    It has to be more than 0.57%?!?!

    Having Linux included in the "others" is somewhat dispiriting but does
    tie in with the leaked Dell figures which suggested 0.5% of their
    machines were requested with Linux over Windows.

    --
    La amistad es una igualdad armónica.
    -- Pitágoras. (582-507 A.C.) Filósofo y matemático griego.

  4. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

  5. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

  6. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    ed writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> OK writes:
    >>
    >>> The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >>>
    >>> NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >>>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    >> It has to be more than 0.57%?!?!
    >>
    >> Having Linux included in the "others" is somewhat dispiriting but does
    >> tie in with the leaked Dell figures which suggested 0.5% of their
    >> machines were requested with Linux over Windows.
    >>

    > C'mon. That's stupid. Go take a look at a data centre, or do your own
    > survey by riding the tubes one day and just walk from one end of the
    > tube to the other and count the OSes on the desktops.
    >
    > The truth is, no one cares when they buy the computer what it's running.
    > Choosing the OS comes later, most people just dont care and put their
    > favourite distro on later.
    >
    > A large portion of internet routers are running a BSD/Linux kernel.
    > That's what we should be trying to measure, the kernel, not the distro.

    This group is aimed at advocating Linux as a desktop/Server OS - the
    market dominated by MS. Those figures ARE measuring the kernel since all
    the distros are logged as one "Linux".

    --
    "In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
    -- Frank Zappa

  7. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    Asstroturfer OK wrote on behalf of micoshaft corporation:

    > The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >
    > NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    This assumes you have an approved tool to measure Linux use.
    Linux is distributed not sold, and not one analyst company
    has an approved Linux measuring tool. If they have it, they
    should get it approved before use it or risk being sued
    by anyone who has bought the reports they claiming to be
    informed.

    Linux is expanding at the rate of 1 million new users per month
    and the rate is increasing

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  8. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 22:44:02 GMT, 7
    wrote:

    >Asstroturfer OK wrote on behalf of micoshaft corporation:
    >

    >> The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >>
    >> NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    >This assumes you have an approved tool to measure Linux use.
    >Linux is distributed not sold, and not one analyst company
    >has an approved Linux measuring tool. If they have it, they
    >should get it approved before use it or risk being sued
    >by anyone who has bought the reports they claiming to be
    >informed.
    >
    >Linux is expanding at the rate of 1 million new users per month
    >and the rate is increasing

    In the first paragraph you claim there is no way of measuring Linux
    useage yet in the second paragraph you claim Linux is expanding at the
    rate of 1 million users per month.

    Good self nuke......

  9. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    * OK fired off this tart reply:

    > The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >
    > NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    Interesting. Linux usage going up in many areas, as far as I can tell
    by my observations. Even name-brand computer companies are noticing
    and getting into the act. Yet "market share" is not increasing.

    Think about what that means.

    --
    Tux rox!

  10. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 22:17:42 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * OK fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >>
    >> NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    > Interesting. Linux usage going up in many areas, as far as I can tell
    > by my observations. Even name-brand computer companies are noticing
    > and getting into the act. Yet "market share" is not increasing.

    A workmate recently went on holiday to Florida or somewhere, and he said
    the in-flight entertainment was Linux based. He'd seen me reading Linux
    mags at breaks, and talking about it, and recognised Tux.

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 18:42:08 -0000, "Gordon"
    wrote:

    >"OK" wrote in message
    >>
    >> The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >>
    >> NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    >oh yes - NT = 0.63%........

    oh yes, still far ahead of Linux.........

  12. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 22:44:02 GMT, 7
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Asstroturfer OK wrote on behalf of micoshaft corporation:
    >>

    >>> The battle of the mid-nineties, but ten years late :-)
    >>>
    >>> NT3.1 - 4.0 (1993-1996) still strong compared to Linux:
    >>>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    >>This assumes you have an approved tool to measure Linux use.
    >>Linux is distributed not sold, and not one analyst company
    >>has an approved Linux measuring tool. If they have it, they
    >>should get it approved before use it or risk being sued
    >>by anyone who has bought the reports they claiming to be
    >>informed.
    >>
    >>Linux is expanding at the rate of 1 million new users per month
    >>and the rate is increasing

    > In the first paragraph you claim there is no way of measuring Linux
    > useage yet in the second paragraph you claim Linux is expanding at the
    > rate of 1 million users per month.
    >
    > Good self nuke......

    BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

    Well,,,,,
    in that case,,,,,
    you are openly welcome to prove these measurements wrong
    with an approved tool! :-)

    Go figure!

  13. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    Kier wrote:

    > A workmate recently went on holiday to Florida or somewhere, and he said
    > the in-flight entertainment was Linux based. He'd seen me reading Linux
    > mags at breaks, and talking about it, and recognised Tux.

    Yes, I've read about this system. It is popping up on more and
    more flights. They tried something like this with WindowsNT a
    while back, but stability was evidently an issue. I should also
    mention an increasing number of planes have Linux running in the
    ****pit also. An open source operating system lends itself to
    the sort of rigorous certification process that aerospace systems
    are put through. This is one market that Windows will not be
    making much headway in.

    Thad

  14. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    On 2007-12-03, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > while back, but stability was evidently an issue. I should also
    > mention an increasing number of planes have Linux running in the
    > ****pit also. An open source operating system lends itself to
    > the sort of rigorous certification process that aerospace systems
    > are put through. This is one market that Windows will not be

    Considering that almost all systems that have been certified for those
    uses are closed source, that doesn't seem to be much of a barrier.

  15. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Considering that almost all systems that have been certified for those
    > uses are closed source, that doesn't seem to be much of a barrier.

    The only commercial closed source RTOS that seems to have any
    traction in that space is Integrity. The other big players are
    all open source ones like LynxOS and variations of Linux.

    The DO178B certification process requires extensive source code
    analysis and testing that often dwarfs the programming effort.
    This creates an incentive to trim down the operating system to
    bare minimum required to do the job. Obviously this makes an
    open source operating system an attractive choice compared to
    purchasing a closed source, unmodifiable OS.

    In case you are wondering, I spent several years working in the
    aerospace industry helping to develop a certified version of
    Linux. Our project even established and funded the embedded
    version of Mesa now used in variety of systems. Having seen
    the DO178B process up close, I can guarantee you that no desktop
    version of Windows will ever be certified for flight system.
    Microsoft would bankrupt themselves trying to do it. They
    might have a chance with WinCE, but then they would be fighting
    an uphill battle in another embedded market that Linux is
    taking over.

    Later,

    Thad

  16. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > Kier wrote:
    >>
    >> A workmate recently went on holiday to Florida or somewhere, and he said
    >> the in-flight entertainment was Linux based. He'd seen me reading Linux
    >> mags at breaks, and talking about it, and recognised Tux.

    > Yes, I've read about this system. It is popping up on more and
    > more flights. They tried something like this with WindowsNT a
    > while back, but stability was evidently an issue.

    Not to mention the client-access and client licenses.

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > On 2007-12-03, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> while back, but stability was evidently an issue. I should also
    >> mention an increasing number of planes have Linux running in the
    >> ****pit also. An open source operating system lends itself to
    >> the sort of rigorous certification process that aerospace systems
    >> are put through. This is one market that Windows will not be

    > Considering that almost all systems that have been certified for those
    > uses are closed source, that doesn't seem to be much of a barrier.

    I seriously doubt they are closed source for the customers that buy
    them. If they don't arrange a deal where they can vet the code
    themselves (under suitable NDA's), then they're taking a big risk.

    Our customers have full access to our source code, and, personally, I
    wouldn't want it any other way.

    --
    Tux rox!

  18. Re: Linux head to head with Windows NT

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > In case you are wondering, I spent several years working in the
    > aerospace industry helping to develop a certified version of
    > Linux. Our project even established and funded the embedded
    > version of Mesa now used in variety of systems. Having seen
    > the DO178B process up close, I can guarantee you that no desktop
    > version of Windows will ever be certified for flight system.
    > Microsoft would bankrupt themselves trying to do it. They
    > might have a chance with WinCE, but then they would be fighting
    > an uphill battle in another embedded market that Linux is
    > taking over.

    Having seen how well Win CE works on a networked audio device, the very
    thought makes me, well, wince!!

    --
    Try new Windows MTBF!

+ Reply to Thread