Google's Android: A Shot in the Arm for Mobile Linux? ABI Research Answers

,----[ Quote ]
| "Android provides a ready-made ecosystem of vendors, carriers, and software
| developers that could provide enormous economy-of-scale right from the
| start," explains Stuart Carlaw, ABI Research director.

Why Microsoft hates Google’s Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Monson-Haefel, who proclaims himself “one of the world’s leading authorities
| on Enterprise JavaBeans (EJBs)”, served on the JCP Executive Committee which
| oversees Java specifications. Perhaps with this background, he feels he’s
| doing Sun and the JCP a favor by attacking Android, but he’s not. In fact, he
| has managed to get things twisted around so badly I felt compelled to write
| this rebuttal. I hardly know where to begin. * *

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
| [...]
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards. *
| [...]
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum. *
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption." *

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android. * *

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]