Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vista system! - Linux

This is a discussion on Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vista system! - Linux ; Any Vista users who are thinking about upgrading their .NET to version 3.5 should check this out first: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx My favorite quote from the blog: "This issue exists in the beta version and unfortunately is NOT SLATED TO BE FIXED ...

  1. Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vista system!

    Any Vista users who are thinking about upgrading their .NET to version
    3.5 should check this out first:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx

    My favorite quote from the blog:

    "This issue exists in the beta version and unfortunately is NOT SLATED
    TO BE FIXED IN THE FINAL RELEASE EITHER." (My emphasis).
    --
    schrodinger's cat

  2. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vistasystem!

    On Nov 30, 2:53 pm, Anonymous wrote:
    > Any Vista users who are thinking about upgrading their .NET to version
    > 3.5 should check this out first:
    >
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx
    >
    > My favorite quote from the blog:
    >
    > "This issue exists in the beta version and unfortunately is NOT SLATED
    > TO BE FIXED IN THE FINAL RELEASE EITHER." (My emphasis).
    > --
    > schrodinger's cat

    That one does kind of suck - but it's not the end of the world either.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  3. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vista system!

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:02:58 -0800 (PST), Tom Shelton
    wrote:

    >On Nov 30, 2:53 pm, Anonymous wrote:
    >> Any Vista users who are thinking about upgrading their .NET to version
    >> 3.5 should check this out first:
    >>
    >> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx
    >>
    >> My favorite quote from the blog:
    >>
    >> "This issue exists in the beta version and unfortunately is NOT SLATED
    >> TO BE FIXED IN THE FINAL RELEASE EITHER." (My emphasis).
    >> --
    >> schrodinger's cat

    >That one does kind of suck - but it's not the end of the world either.

    I cringe when I hear the phrase .net Framework.
    I had my entire DAW hosed because one audio program I installed needed
    a newer version of .Net and like a fool I loaded it.
    While that program worked fine, my others that needed an older version
    got seriously hosed.

  4. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vistasystem!

    On Nov 30, 4:37 pm, flatfish wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:02:58 -0800 (PST), Tom Shelton
    >
    > wrote:
    > >On Nov 30, 2:53 pm, Anonymous wrote:
    > >> Any Vista users who are thinking about upgrading their .NET to version
    > >> 3.5 should check this out first:

    > >>http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...3/6190778.aspx

    > >> My favorite quote from the blog:

    > >> "This issue exists in the beta version and unfortunately is NOT SLATED
    > >> TO BE FIXED IN THE FINAL RELEASE EITHER." (My emphasis).
    > >> --
    > >> schrodinger's cat

    > >That one does kind of suck - but it's not the end of the world either.

    > I cringe when I hear the phrase .net Framework.
    > I had my entire DAW hosed because one audio program I installed needed
    > a newer version of .Net and like a fool I loaded it.
    > While that program worked fine, my others that needed an older version
    > got seriously hosed.

    Why? all versions of the framework can exist side by side. I've been
    doing it for years. What did you do? Remove the old one...

    --
    Tom Shelton

  5. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vista system!

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:22:21 -0800 (PST), Tom Shelton
    wrote:

    >On Nov 30, 4:37 pm, flatfish wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:02:58 -0800 (PST), Tom Shelton
    >>
    >> wrote:

    >> >That one does kind of suck - but it's not the end of the world either.

    >> I cringe when I hear the phrase .net Framework.
    >> I had my entire DAW hosed because one audio program I installed needed
    >> a newer version of .Net and like a fool I loaded it.
    >> While that program worked fine, my others that needed an older version
    >> got seriously hosed.

    >Why? all versions of the framework can exist side by side. I've been
    >doing it for years. What did you do? Remove the old one...

    Nope. All I did was install the new one.
    The DVD had a link that went directly to MS website and downloaded the
    version I needed.

  6. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vistasystem!

    On Nov 30, 5:47 pm, flatfish wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:22:21 -0800 (PST), Tom Shelton
    >

    > wrote:
    > >On Nov 30, 4:37 pm, flatfish wrote:

    > >> I cringe when I hear the phrase .net Framework.
    > >> I had my entire DAW hosed because one audio program I installed needed
    > >> a newer version of .Net and like a fool I loaded it.
    > >> While that program worked fine, my others that needed an older version
    > >> got seriously hosed.

    > >Why? all versions of the framework can exist side by side. I've been
    > >doing it for years. What did you do? Remove the old one...

    > Nope. All I did was install the new one.
    > The DVD had a link that went directly to MS website and downloaded the
    > version I needed.

    Well, I've been running every new release of the framework on multiple
    machines for at least 5 years... I have never, ever had any thing
    like what you are describing. .NET was designed to be run that way.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  7. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vista system!

    * Tom Shelton fired off this tart reply:

    > On Nov 30, 5:47 pm, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> Nope. All I did was install the new one.
    >> The DVD had a link that went directly to MS website and downloaded the
    >> version I needed.

    > Well, I've been running every new release of the framework on multiple
    > machines for at least 5 years... I have never, ever had any thing
    > like what you are describing. .NET was designed to be run that way.

    Whether people believe it or not, Windows, like Linux, is a system where
    you have to know what you're doing if you're doing anything beyond
    simple app usage.

    You can make wrong moves in Windows too, you know. And, as flatfish
    experienced, you might not even realize you made the wrong move.

    --
    Tux rox!

  8. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vistasystem!

    On Dec 1, 9:37 am, Linonut wrote:
    > * Tom Shelton fired off this tart reply:
    >
    > > On Nov 30, 5:47 pm, flatfish wrote:

    > >> Nope. All I did was install the new one.
    > >> The DVD had a link that went directly to MS website and downloaded the
    > >> version I needed.

    > > Well, I've been running every new release of the framework on multiple
    > > machines for at least 5 years... I have never, ever had any thing
    > > like what you are describing. .NET was designed to be run that way.

    > Whether people believe it or not, Windows, like Linux, is a system where
    > you have to know what you're doing if you're doing anything beyond
    > simple app usage.
    >
    > You can make wrong moves in Windows too, you know. And, as flatfish
    > experienced, you might not even realize you made the wrong move.
    >
    > --
    > Tux rox!

    I'm not discounting his experience - I'm just saying it isn't common.

    Thinking back, the only time I ever saw an upgrade issue was with a
    service pack to the 1.1 framework. There was a change in how the
    XmlText reader class handled buffering of data read from a stream.
    Basically, it would hang in the constructor until it received 4K of
    data or the stream was empty. That worked fine for files, but we were
    using it to read an Xml source from a NetworkStream - aka, a socket.
    Well, if the data returned wasn't more then 4K, then it would hang.
    This was supposedly a performance optimization, but it sure broke a
    lot of peoples code. I don't think they realized how many people were
    streaming their xml over a network resource. We basically had to
    modify our server code to pad any xml returned to 4K.

    So, I suppose it could happen on the new install if the install
    contained a patch for an older framework (something that definitely
    has been done). The patch could have broken apps...

    --
    Tom Shelton

  9. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vista system!

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:37:26 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * Tom Shelton fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Nov 30, 5:47 pm, flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nope. All I did was install the new one.
    >>> The DVD had a link that went directly to MS website and downloaded the
    >>> version I needed.

    >> Well, I've been running every new release of the framework on multiple
    >> machines for at least 5 years... I have never, ever had any thing
    >> like what you are describing. .NET was designed to be run that way.

    > Whether people believe it or not, Windows, like Linux, is a system where
    > you have to know what you're doing if you're doing anything beyond
    > simple app usage.
    >
    > You can make wrong moves in Windows too, you know. And, as flatfish
    > experienced, you might not even realize you made the wrong move.

    Certainly, but .NET is desigend not only to be 99.9% backwards compatible
    (there are always a few breaking changes in new versions), but to allow
    multiple versions to co-habitate (in case a new version has a breaking
    change you rely on). I've never encountered a problem where installing a
    new version of the framework broke an older version app, unless the older
    version was removed.

  10. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vistasystem!

    flatfish wrote:

    > I had my entire DAW hosed because one audio program I installed needed
    > a newer version of .Net and like a fool I loaded it.

    Where's the proof?

    > While that program worked fine, my others that needed an older version
    > got seriously hosed.

    Where's the proof?

  11. Re: Another fine MesS - .NET Framework 3.5 install can bork a Vistasystem!

    flatfish wrote:

    > Nope. All I did was install the new one.

    Where's the proof?

+ Reply to Thread