[Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vistaversions? - Linux

This is a discussion on [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vistaversions? - Linux ; Robin T Cox wrote: > Can anyone explain what the difference is between the Vista versions? http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2068721,00.asp...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > Can anyone explain what the difference is between the Vista versions?

    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2068721,00.asp

  2. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    On 2007-11-30, flatfish wrote:
    > As for embedded devices, servers etc they are perfect applications for
    > Linux. I have always agreed with that. MoSt people, including myself,
    > have no idea what device amy or may no be running Linux so choice
    > really isn't in the mix.

    And most don't care. I have a Linksys WRT54G router. It runs Linux. A
    friend of mine has a WRT54G router, bought at the same day from the same
    store as mine. His runs VxWorks.

    Do either of us care? No. They were bought as routers. They behave
    identically.

    (I also have a WRT54G, bought a few days later from that store, for
    which I *do* care that it runs Linux. That's because I bought that one
    specifically for hacking, and so went to the store knowing how to tell
    from the serial number on the box whether it ran Linux or VxWorks, and I
    made sure to pick a Linux one).

  3. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 23:18:38 -0000, Tim Smith
    wrote:

    >On 2007-11-30, flatfish wrote:
    >> As for embedded devices, servers etc they are perfect applications for
    >> Linux. I have always agreed with that. MoSt people, including myself,
    >> have no idea what device amy or may no be running Linux so choice
    >> really isn't in the mix.

    >And most don't care. I have a Linksys WRT54G router. It runs Linux. A
    >friend of mine has a WRT54G router, bought at the same day from the same
    >store as mine. His runs VxWorks.
    >
    >Do either of us care? No. They were bought as routers. They behave
    >identically.

    Exactly, most people don't know nor do they care.
    My point is embedded devices is a good application for Linux.

  4. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > And most don't care. I have a Linksys WRT54G router. It runs Linux. A
    > friend of mine has a WRT54G router, bought at the same day from the same
    > store as mine. His runs VxWorks.
    >
    > Do either of us care? No. They were bought as routers. They behave
    > identically.

    No, they don't, at least for me. I made the mistake of buying a "new"
    Linksys wireless router (the same model you mentioned, I think).

    It was a VxWorks model.

    It was awful with Linux. Worse, I had problems with it working with XP!

    I took that piece of crap back to the store and went back to using my
    old Netgear wireless. It's only problem is that you need to reboot it
    every few days.

    > (I also have a WRT54G, bought a few days later from that store, for
    > which I *do* care that it runs Linux. That's because I bought that one
    > specifically for hacking, and so went to the store knowing how to tell
    > from the serial number on the box whether it ran Linux or VxWorks, and I
    > made sure to pick a Linux one).

    The newer models also has less RAM, so it is even harder to hack.
    Bleh. There is a project that is tighter and so can fit in the reduced
    memory, but, oh well.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    On 2007-12-02, Linonut wrote:
    >> (I also have a WRT54G, bought a few days later from that store, for
    >> which I *do* care that it runs Linux. That's because I bought that one
    >> specifically for hacking, and so went to the store knowing how to tell
    >> from the serial number on the box whether it ran Linux or VxWorks, and I
    >> made sure to pick a Linux one).

    > The newer models also has less RAM, so it is even harder to hack.
    > Bleh. There is a project that is tighter and so can fit in the reduced
    > memory, but, oh well.

    I've never seen it in stores, but there is a WRT54GL model, which they
    came out with after switching to VxWorks on the WRT54G. The "L" means
    Linux, and it is basically the same as the last WRT54G that ran Linux,
    brought back for those who want to hack the firmware.

    It's available from Amazon and Newegg (and probably others, but those
    are the only places I've happened to look).

  6. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> And most don't care. I have a Linksys WRT54G router. It runs Linux. A
    >> friend of mine has a WRT54G router, bought at the same day from the same
    >> store as mine. His runs VxWorks.
    >>
    >> Do either of us care? No. They were bought as routers. They behave
    >> identically.

    > No, they don't, at least for me. I made the mistake of buying a "new"
    > Linksys wireless router (the same model you mentioned, I think).
    >
    > It was a VxWorks model.
    >
    > It was awful with Linux. Worse, I had problems with it working with XP!
    >
    > I took that piece of crap back to the store and went back to using my
    > old Netgear wireless. It's only problem is that you need to reboot it
    > every few days.
    >
    >> (I also have a WRT54G, bought a few days later from that store, for
    >> which I *do* care that it runs Linux. That's because I bought that one
    >> specifically for hacking, and so went to the store knowing how to tell
    >> from the serial number on the box whether it ran Linux or VxWorks, and I
    >> made sure to pick a Linux one).

    > The newer models also has less RAM, so it is even harder to hack.
    > Bleh. There is a project that is tighter and so can fit in the reduced
    > memory, but, oh well.

    I made sure I got a WRT54GL router (note the "L" on the end). This one still
    runs linux. I run OpenWrt on mine. It is my openvpn server, dns cache and
    dhcp server.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  7. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > On 2007-12-02, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> The newer models also has less RAM, so it is even harder to hack.
    >> Bleh. There is a project that is tighter and so can fit in the reduced
    >> memory, but, oh well.

    > I've never seen it in stores, but there is a WRT54GL model, which they
    > came out with after switching to VxWorks on the WRT54G. The "L" means
    > Linux, and it is basically the same as the last WRT54G that ran Linux,
    > brought back for those who want to hack the firmware.
    >
    > It's available from Amazon and Newegg (and probably others, but those
    > are the only places I've happened to look).

    Thanks for the info, Tim!

    --
    Tux rox!

  8. Re: [Rival] Can anyone explain the difference between the Vistaversions?

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    [snip]

    > The chart clearly identifies which features belong to witch version.

    I'm afraid its going to take some whichcraft to figure this stuff out.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Plaese porrf raed befre postng.

  9. Re: Can anyone explain the difference between the Vista versions?

    On Nov 30, 3:09 pm, Robin T Cox wrote:
    > Can anyone explain what the difference is between the Vista versions?

    No. Get lost you ****ing retard.

    Your off-topic, anti-charter, post revokes your ****-access to Jenna,
    Mark Kent's sister. One mistake and, indeed, you lost a "shot" at the
    hottie. She would have loved ****s, err, Cox inside her. 'neways,
    Marti's there for you. He loves ****s, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2