Hans and Nina Reiser. - Linux

This is a discussion on Hans and Nina Reiser. - Linux ; Hans Reiser ( age 44, near San Francisco ) of Namesys/ReiserFS/LinuxKernal fame once had a nice job, wife, kids, etc. Reiser, wearing the red jumpsuit of a prisoner in solitary confinement: “ http://www.Wired.COM/images/article/...xkiller1_f.jpg ”. According to: http://www.Wired.COM/techbiz/people/...urrentPage=all Upon his arrest, ...

  1. Hans and Nina Reiser.

    Hans Reiser ( age 44, near San Francisco )
    of Namesys/ReiserFS/LinuxKernal fame
    once had a nice job, wife, kids, etc.

    Reiser, wearing the red jumpsuit of a prisoner in solitary confinement:
    http://www.Wired.COM/images/article/...xkiller1_f.jpg ”.

    According to:
    http://www.Wired.COM/techbiz/people/...urrentPage=all

    Upon his arrest,
    he had a passport and 9 thousand U.S. dollars in cash in his fanny pack.
    The passanger seat of his car has gone missing, with no explanation.

    Two days after the arrest, Novell dropped the ReiserFS,
    and Namesys went bankrupt, unable to pay its employees.

    A photo of Nina Reiser, age 32, Hans' estranged wife:
    http://www.Wired.COM/images/article/...xkiller2_f.jpg ”.

    A photo of Anthony Zografos, Nina's most recent boyfriend,
    and Irina Sharanova, Nina's mom:
    http://www.SFGate.COM/c/pictures/200...r_caoak102.jpg

    Irina now has de-facto custody of the kids, age 8 and 7, in Russia.

    Nina and Hans conceived a child on their first night together,
    at the start of 1999, St. Petersburg, Russia;
    they got married five months after that.

    2001, Nina, near San Francisco, handled the books
    while Hans worked with his coders in Moscow,
    thanks to a .6 mega dollar grant from the Pentagon's R&D agency.

  2. Re: Hans ...

    Jef?Relf wrote:
    [...]
    > 2001, [...]
    > while Hans worked with his coders in Moscow,
    > thanks to a .6 mega dollar grant from the Pentagon's R&D agency.

    Interesting...

    http://www.linux.com/articles/28417
    (Open Source in Government Conference Wrapup By on March 24, 2003)

    -----
    Many attendees, including a number of speakers, were there to make
    contacts that could lead to government contracts. Hans Reiser, creator
    of the highly-regarded ReiserFS journaling file system, was openly
    seeking contract programming work now that DARPA's sponsorship of
    (nearly complete) ReiserFS 4 is ending.
    -----

    One would have thought that DARPA had it enouph with Richard***... ;-)

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "Plaintiffs copyrights are unique and valuable property whose market
    value is impossible to assess"

    -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.

    ***) http://www.mgross.com/MoreThgsChng/i...stallman2.html

    -----
    RS: Yes. At the end of my freshman year, I started working at the MIT
    Artificial Intelligence Lab, which was founded by DARPA [the Defense
    Department's advanced projects agency, which created the Internet]. The
    people there were very embarrassed about this, because for the most part
    they were against the Vietnam War. The problem is, being against the
    Vietnam War was one thing. The Vietnam War was to defend a dictator and
    keep him in power, and it was an unjust war, and it was fought with
    horrible cruelty. But to generalize from that to anything related to the
    military as fundamentally wrong is an irrationality. I'd seen and read a
    lot about World War Two. I had the example of my father, who prepared to
    more effectively fight the Nazis -- because they were evil, and it was
    necessary to fight them.
    MG: Had your father died? Was he just out of the picture?
    RS: No, they split up. I saw him on weekends.
    -----

+ Reply to Thread