Windows Vista turns one year old

,----[ Quote ]
| However, a dark horse is stalking Vista. Microsoft's release of an operating
| system that many consider bloated has coincided with the rise of Linux
| distributions such as Ubuntu, which many see as a suitably functional and
| user-friendly alternative.
| With Linux already a mainstay of many business servers, it will be
| interesting to see how the desktop market develops in the coming years.

Myths Stymie Linux Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Regardless of the advantages offered by Linux, no one seems to be adopting it
| wholeheartedly in the business world. What makes that even more fascinating
| is that the backlash against Windows Vista is not reason enough to fuel the
| move to Linux. *
| The problem here is that the powers that be have created enough FUD (fear,
| uncertainty and doubt) about Linux that most decision makers feel it is safer
| to stick with Windows (including XP). That FUD is fueled by many myths and
| misconceptions about what Linux can and cannot do. * *

Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries such as
| Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions of
| children around the world with Linux as their first operating
| system.
| In stark contrast Microsoft have just released Windows Vista,
| probably the most resource hungry Operating System ever, for
| the PC platform.

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit. *
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace. *

If you're Steve Ballmer, don't read this

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's hopes now rest with Ray Ozzie, the company's chief software
| architect. But not even the Great White Wizard can turn back the clock.

Open source and Linux looking better every day

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different
| versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download
| an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program?
| [...]
| Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both.

Vista Upgrade: Stuck in the Middle of Nowhere

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just another reason (again, that is another post for another
| time) why I am hoping to never upgrade my Windows XP laptop to Vista.
| I am hedging my bets on Linux and Wine improving to where I can
| abandon Windows before XP is no longer supported.

Linux Says Bye-bye Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]