[News] Linux-ready PS3 Might Gain Global Dominance - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux-ready PS3 Might Gain Global Dominance - Linux ; PS3 tops Wii in Japan for first time ,----[ Quote ] | Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii | game console in Japan in November for the first time, raising the prospect | that Sony ...

  1. [News] Linux-ready PS3 Might Gain Global Dominance

    PS3 tops Wii in Japan for first time

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii
    | game console in Japan in November for the first time, raising the prospect
    | that Sony might regain its dominance in the global videogame market.
    `----

    http://in.reuters.com/article/techno...30766820071130

    Japan PlayStation sales beat Wii

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Boosted by price cuts and the introduction of a cheaper version, PS3 sales
    | totalled 183,217 in November, compared with 159,193 for the Wii.
    `----

    It was said a long time ago that the hackability (Linux) of the PS3 is a cause
    for concern to Microsoft.

    Recent:

    PS3 overtakes Wii in Japan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some 55,924 PS3s were purchased in the week ending 11 November, compared to
    | 34,456 Wiis and just 5817 Xbox 360s. Clearly, the Halo 3 effect and
    | Microsoft's price cut have done their work. *
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11...wii_ps3_sales/

    Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
    | company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
    | model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/...ystation_sales

    *
    Related:

    PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
    | next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
    | videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
    | Web-based "Office 2.0" applications. *
    |
    | IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
    | off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
    | show organizer. *
    `----

    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

    PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
    | time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
    | priced at $650.
    `----

    Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an
    | assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who
    | specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did
    | this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact
    | run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do." * *
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer

    Old:

    Best New Console - Sony PlayStation 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony's embrace of the PS3 as a computer rather than just a console
    | and the availability of supported Linux distributions for the
    | console will also develop and will likely bear entirely unexpected
    | fruit in future.
    |
    | Runner-Up:
    | Nintendo Wii
    `----

    http://bestof.ign.com/2006/gear/1.html

    Sony's PS3 Could Still Outsell Microsoft's XBox 360 in 2006

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Should the Playstation 3 end up in second place this Christmas season,
    | Sony shouldn't feel too badly. The #1 selling console at the moment
    | remains the Playstation 3, which sold nearly a million units in
    | November, and will probably sell nearly double that in December.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/06...1_id.html?.v=1

    Strategy Analytics: The Pressure is on Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Research firm Strategy Analytics claims that with the PS3 now
    | launching the pressure is actually on Microsoft to convince
    | consumers and loyal PlayStation gamers to "switch camps."
    | Ultimately, the firm sees Sony trouncing the competition with
    | over 120 million units sold by 2012.
    `----

    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14480

  2. Re: [News] Linux-ready PS3 Might Gain Global Dominance

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > PS3 tops Wii in Japan for first time
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii
    >| game console in Japan in November for the first time, raising the prospect
    >| that Sony might regain its dominance in the global videogame market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://in.reuters.com/article/techno...30766820071130
    >
    > Japan PlayStation sales beat Wii
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Boosted by price cuts and the introduction of a cheaper version, PS3 sales
    >| totalled 183,217 in November, compared with 159,193 for the Wii.
    > `----

    > It was said a long time ago that the hackability (Linux) of the PS3 is a cause
    > for concern to Microsoft.

    The PS3 is turning up in all kinds of places, particularly for
    supercomputing applications. There is an interesting article today in
    the BBC's technology news about someone using PS3s for cryptoanalysis
    (or password cracking, as they put it!). The article is here:

    I was actively considering a PS3 for use as a desktop machine yesterday,
    but in the end, I went for a more traditional model with the Intel 3D
    chipset so that I could have a fully open-source machine which could do
    some basic 3D stuff, but as importantly, support dual 1440x900 monitors!