[OT] Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End - Linux

This is a discussion on [OT] Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End - Linux ; Hugo winner Vernor Vinge has put his recent (2006) novel Rainbows End up for free download. The whole book, not just a few chapters. I bought the hardcover, and I liked it, but less so than than his previous two ...

  1. [OT] Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End

    Hugo winner Vernor Vinge has put his recent (2006) novel Rainbows End up
    for free download. The whole book, not just a few chapters.

    I bought the hardcover, and I liked it, but less so than than his previous
    two novels. Still it was a great read about possible future computer
    technology. Operating systems are discussed. Computers are worn. Laptops
    are for dinosaurs and the learning disabled. MS Windows is mentioned, but
    the preferred OS is Epiphany, which I suspect was meant to represent Linux.

    http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

    --
    Tony Sivori

  2. Re: [OT] Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:00:51 -0500, Tony Sivori wrote:

    > Hugo winner Vernor Vinge has put his recent (2006) novel Rainbows End up
    > for free download. The whole book, not just a few chapters.
    >
    > I bought the hardcover, and I liked it, but less so than than his previous
    > two novels. Still it was a great read about possible future computer
    > technology. Operating systems are discussed. Computers are worn. Laptops
    > are for dinosaurs and the learning disabled. MS Windows is mentioned, but
    > the preferred OS is Epiphany, which I suspect was meant to represent Linux.
    >
    > http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

    Good for him. I bet it upsets his publishers, though :-)

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End

    On Nov 30, 8:00 am, Tony Sivori wrote:
    > Hugo winner Vernor Vinge has put his recent (2006) novel Rainbows End up
    > for free download. The whole book, not just a few chapters.
    >
    > I bought the hardcover, and I liked it, but less so than than his previous
    > two novels. Still it was a great read about possible future computer
    > technology. Operating systems are discussed. Computers are worn. Laptops
    > are for dinosaurs and the learning disabled. MS Windows is mentioned, but
    > the preferred OS is Epiphany, which I suspect was meant to represent Linux.
    >
    > http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html
    >
    > --
    > Tony Sivori

    Good to see you back on cola.

  4. Re: [OT] Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End

    Kier wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:00:51 -0500, Tony Sivori wrote:
    >
    >> Hugo winner Vernor Vinge has put his recent (2006) novel Rainbows End up
    >> for free download. The whole book, not just a few chapters.
    >>
    >> http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

    > Good for him. I bet it upsets his publishers, though :-)

    You're probably right about that. But given the whois results for
    vrinimi.org, I think it is legitimate.

    --
    Tony Sivori

  5. Re: Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Good to see you back on cola.

    Thanks for that. I read cola almost every day. But with the hours I'm
    working I rarely have time to post anything worthwhile.

    --
    Tony Sivori

  6. Re: [OT] Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:11:32 -0500, Tony Sivori wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:00:51 -0500, Tony Sivori wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hugo winner Vernor Vinge has put his recent (2006) novel Rainbows End up
    >>> for free download. The whole book, not just a few chapters.
    >>>
    >>> http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

    >> Good for him. I bet it upsets his publishers, though :-)

    > You're probably right about that. But given the whois results for
    > vrinimi.org, I think it is legitimate.

    Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was dodgy - just that publsihers, like other
    media types, don't want their artistes giving anything away ;-)

    --
    Kier

  7. Re: [OT] Legal Download of Great Sci-Fi Novel - Rainbows End

    Tony Sivori wrote:

    > Hugo winner Vernor Vinge has put his recent (2006) novel Rainbows End up
    > for free download. The whole book, not just a few chapters.
    >
    > I bought the hardcover, and I liked it, but less so than than his previous
    > two novels. Still it was a great read about possible future computer
    > technology. Operating systems are discussed. Computers are worn. Laptops
    > are for dinosaurs and the learning disabled. MS Windows is mentioned, but
    > the preferred OS is Epiphany, which I suspect was meant to represent
    > Linux.
    >
    > http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html

    Nice! I'll ask for a copy (paper copy) for Christmas.

    Thanks for the heads-up call, Tony!

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread