Linux - not just a Windows killer

,----[ Quote ]
| I can personally speak to a real life business case for Linux. About eight
| years ago I worked on a project that had incredible data processing
| requirements. At that time, the only database technology that existed in the
| market place that even had the potential to meet our performance requirements
| was Teradata. They gave us a quote of $34M for the solution which was
| comprised of proprietary hardware and software. Back then, our entire IT
| budget was less then $34M. So we built our own solution which ran on a
| cluster of servers running Red Hat Linux for $100K. Throw in our labor and
| other fees and we spent close to $1M. What is more amazing is that we did not
| add a single employee to the staff to run the system since the system is self
| monitoring and self healing. With the Taradata solution we would have had to
| add DBA resources. This system is still running today and provides services
| for a product that generates over $100M a year.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgr...s-killer-20866
http://tinyurl.com/2mn3hz

Has Microsoft Lost Its Way?

,----[ Quote ]
| Boy... Things sure seem to be rocky at Microsoft these days. No doubt you
| have heard all the scuttle over Vista, the lauded and much delayed new
| operating system that seems to be a step backwards for PC users. Internet
| Explorer is loosing market share, despite improvements in version 7. And now
| it seems that Microsoft's Office Suite is starting to take hits as well...
| And deservedly so in my opinion.
`----

http://www.webzealot.com/microsoft.asp

Related:

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

| Lenovo.

`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Ninety percent of 961 IT professionals surveyed said they have concerns about
| migrating to Vista and more than half said they have no plans to deploy
| Vista. *
|
| [...]
|
| Macintosh leads the pack of Vista alternatives, with support from 28% of
| respondents. About a quarter said they would opt for Red Hat Linux, with SUSE
| Linux and Ubuntu each garnering 18% of the vote. Another 9% cited other Linux
| operating systems and 4% were unsure. *
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=6258

The Vista Death Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply not
| shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if we are
| really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained flop. By all
| estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around the number of Macs
| in use. * *
|
| How did this happen? And what’s going to happen next? Does Microsoft have a
| Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things must be
| considered by the company itself. *
`----

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704...079TX1K0000584

Poll: In a fight between Vista, OS X, Linux, XP...

,----[ Quote ]
| Among silicon.com readers at least, the most recent iteration of Windows -
| aka Vista - garnered just 14 per cent of the vote, making it less popular
| than both Mac OS X and Linux. *
|
| [...]
|
| Another reader - going by the name Richard A - said he was "shocked" at how
| slow the OS ran on a new Intel core duo Sony Vaio laptop. "Why anybody would
| willingly trade a stable and established XP environment for the wading though
| treacle experience of driverless Vista is quite utterly beyond me," he said,
| adding: "Granted, it has borrowed a few nice flourishes from the Apple Mac
| user interface but it really has little else to recommend it above XP. Apart
| from security, of course." * * *
|
| Neil Thatcher, an IT manager from the South East, summed up many readers'
| views with his Reader Comment: "The changes to Vista over XP are simply gloss
| and change for change's sake which translate as nothing more than
| annoyances." *
|
| Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.
`----

http://software.silicon.com/os/0,390...9169139,00.htm

An Open Letter to Microsoft: Re-Release Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time to sober up on Windows Vista. This just isn't working out,
| and your users are getting frustrated to the point where they're souring
| on Windows altogether. In case you haven't seen some of the more
| noteworthy blog posts on this topic, I refer you to Chris Pirillo,
| Scot's Newsletter, or Spend Matters. Or check out the recent bug
| reports regarding product activation and security flaws. This is all
| stuff I managed to dredge up that was written yesterday.
|
| People are unhappy with Vista. Really unhappy. And though I know Microsoft
| has its own form of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, it certainly
| can't keep you from seeing at least some of the sobering sales figures and
| the crush of disappointing reviews of Vista. I don't want to dredge up all
| the reasons people are unhappy with Vista in this letter. I want to talk
| about what you ought to do stop a mass migration to Linux and the Mac.
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/184...ase-windows-xp

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software. *
`----

http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

Former Windows Developer Trashes Windows Vista, Gets Slapped, Falls Back in
Line

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://soft-vn.net/windows/former-wi...348-11536.aspx