[News] [Rival] Meltdown for Microsoft's Mail Service? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Meltdown for Microsoft's Mail Service? - Linux ; Microsoft having problems with Hotmail server? ,----[ Quote ] | Forums are alight with posters who report that they haven't been able to | receive messages sent through Hotmail since November 26. Some have also | expressed annoyance that they ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Meltdown for Microsoft's Mail Service?

    Microsoft having problems with Hotmail server?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Forums are alight with posters who report that they haven't been able to
    | receive messages sent through Hotmail since November 26. Some have also
    | expressed annoyance that they can't reach Microsoft directly to report the
    | problem.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15577/1054/

    Related:

    If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
    | Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
    | there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
    | 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
    | email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
    | the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
    | where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
    | you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
    | Vanish.
    `----

    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fail...achment_Emails

    Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
    | spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs is
    | instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment the
    | spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day - equivalent
    | to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day." * *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/index.php?opti...66&Itemid=1054

    Hotmail engine overhaul

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
    | a total wash, however.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
    | Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6...ml?tag=st.next

    It’s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
    | blackholes your email, or bounces it with “550 Your e-mail was rejected for
    | policy reasons on this gateway.“, no amount of client whitelisting is going
    | to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say “F-You
    | Microsoft, I’m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!”
    `----

    http://success.grownupgeek.com/index...-who-will-win/

    A Hybrid Approach to E-Mail: The Best of Both Worlds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Given corporations' existing investments and their potential need to
    | support additional Microsoft Exchange-compatible applications in the
    | future, this hybrid open/proprietary approach will only work if it
    | allows users to drop in an e-mail server without making changes to
    | desktops or infrastructure.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A better approach employs a product that is compatible at the
    | network-protocol level with the existing infrastructure. Outlook
    | on the desktop will "think" it is talking to Exchange when it is
    | really talking to the new Linux e-mail server, and end users do
    | not know they are on a different server. IT professionals get a
    | Linux e-mail server with higher performance, that uses lower-cost
    | storage, and that works with existing datacenter applications such
    | as Active Directory.
    `----

    Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
    | caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
    | casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
    | well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
    | with absolutely no notice and little recourse.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...friendly_fire/

    Hotmail still riddled with spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | Hotmail addresses are spam.
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
    | predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
    | be "eliminated" within two years.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ed-spam-admits

    Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
    | deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
    | become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
    | error when you try to delete it.
    `----

    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/...n_windows_mail

    Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
    | Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
    | problems getting onto the services.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

    Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
    | users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
    | The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
    | cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
    | e-mail was laden with a virus.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-616...0-20&subj=news

    Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
    | average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
    | could find it here.
    |
    | Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
    | because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
    | real digital inequities in the world.
    `----

  2. Re: [Rival] Meltdown for Microsoft's Mail Service?

    On Nov 30, 12:56 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
    > | users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
    > | The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
    > | cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
    > | e-mail was laden with a virus.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-616...tag=2547-1_3-0...
    >
    > Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
    > | average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
    > | could find it here.
    > |
    > | Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
    > | because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the

    My wife's hotmail account continues to reject all emails from me, with
    or without attachments. She keeps trying things hoping it will help,
    but is finally coming around to getting an account somewhere else.

  3. Re: [Rival] Meltdown for Microsoft's Mail Service?

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Friday 30 November 2007 16:59 : \____

> [...]
    >> | e-mail was laden with a virus.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-616...tag=2547-1_3-0...
    >>
    >> Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
    >> | average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
    >> | could find it here.
    >> |
    >> | Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
    >> | because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
    >> | real digital inequities in the world.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38202

    > My wife's hotmail account continues to reject all emails from me, with
    > or without attachments. She keeps trying things hoping it will help,
    > but is finally coming around to getting an account somewhere else.

    I often see people talking about reduction is SPAM (that manages to actually
    arrive boxes). It's merely a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Cringely talked about losing up to 90% of the legitimate mail with one
    provider. Oh great! Let's just get some poor discriminant and filter out based
    on a poor threshold. Great! No SPAM. Not much mail either. It's all being
    killed, unless it's somehow seen as 'pure'.

    SPAM will be a resolved issue when zombie PCs, of which there appear to be
    hundreds of millions (Windows PCs) cease to exist and attempt to connect to
    mail servers.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    The folks on the Ubuntu CD cover need to apt-get shirt, not sudo fsck.
    17:20:02 up 30 days, 21:18, 3 users, load average: 1.36, 1.98, 1.89