[News] Microsoft's Linux Snub Can Cost It Business - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft's Linux Snub Can Cost It Business - Linux ; Interview: Marten Mickos, CEO, MySQL ,----[ Quote ] | "With Microsoft, we meet them in smaller companies and where the competition | is happening at the operating system level. If they customer says they want | one person on Linux, ...

  1. [News] Microsoft's Linux Snub Can Cost It Business

    Interview: Marten Mickos, CEO, MySQL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "With Microsoft, we meet them in smaller companies and where the competition
    | is happening at the operating system level. If they customer says they want
    | one person on Linux, then you can't use SQL Server, of course.”
    `----

    http://www.mycustomer.com/cgi-bin/it...01&h=817&f=816

    This is either an disadvantage to Microsoft or an illegal advantage. They lock
    out competitors.

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [Microsoft:] ...we should take the lead in establishing a common
    | approach to UI and to interoperability (of which OLE is only a part). Our
    | efforts to date are focussed too much on our own apps, and only incidentally
    | on the rest of the industry. We want to own these standards, so we should
    | not participate in standards groups. Rather, we should call 'to me' to the
    | industry and set a standard that works now and is for everyone's
    | benefit. We are large enough that this can work.
    `----

    http://www.os2site.com/sw/info/comes/px09509.zip

    Halloween Memo I Confirmed and Microsoft's History on Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | *By the way, if you are by any chance trying to figure out Microsoft's policy
    | *toward standards, particularly in the context of ODF-EOXML, that same
    | *Microsoft page is revelatory, Microsoft's answer to what the memo meant when
    | *it said that Microsoft could extend standard protocols so as to deny
    | *Linux "entry into the market": * *
    |
    | * *Q: The first document talked about extending standard protocols as a way
    | * *to "deny OSS projects entry into the market." What does this mean?
    |
    | * *A: To better serve customers, Microsoft needs to innovate above standard
    | * *protocols. By innovating above the base protocol, we are able to deliver
    | * *advanced functionality to users. An example of this is adding
    | * *transactional support for DTC over HTTP. This would be a value-add and
    | * *would in no way break the standard or undermine the concept of standards,
    | * *of which Microsoft is a significant supporter. Yet it would allow us to
    | * *solve a class of problems in value chain integration for our Web-based
    | * *customers that are not solved by any public standard today. Microsoft
    | * *recognizes that customers are not served by implementations that are
    | * *different without adding value; we therefore support standards as the
    | * *foundation on which further innovation can be based. * * * * *
    `----

    Microsoft Looks for the Big Guns in OOXML In-Fighting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bill Gates has reportedly been making phone calls to the Secretary of Defense
    | and the Secretary of Commerce to push the American National Standards
    | Institute to ignore the votes of its advisory committees and vote "yes" on
    | ISO standardizing Microsoft's Open Office XML (OOXML) format, the one in
    | competition with the OpenDocument Format (ODF) pushed by IBM and Sun. * *
    |
    | Gates reportedly picked up the phone when the last INCITS ballot failed by
    | one vote to support Microsoft.
    `----

    http://xml.sys-con.com/read/419573_p.htm

    IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
    | not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
    | Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others.
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

    Microsoft criticized for Open XML petition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The petition is an attempt to make it appear that Open XML
    | has "pseudo-grassroots" support, argues Mark Taylor, the
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | founder of the Open Source Consortium.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6173625.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft's Linux Snub Can Cost It Business

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:03:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Interview: Marten Mickos, CEO, MySQL
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "With Microsoft, we meet them in smaller companies and where the competition
    >| is happening at the operating system level. If they customer says they want
    >| one person on Linux, then you can't use SQL Server, of course.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.mycustomer.com/cgi-bin/it...01&h=817&f=816
    >
    > This is either an disadvantage to Microsoft or an illegal advantage. They lock
    > out competitors.

    Uhh.. what? He's not seriously pretending you can't have a Linux SQL
    Server client, is he? That will come as news to many people doing just
    that.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft's Linux Snub Can Cost It Business

    "Erik Funkenbusch" wrote in message
    newsbx61dw4fxhn$.dlg@funkenbusch.com...
    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:03:11 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Interview: Marten Mickos, CEO, MySQL
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "With Microsoft, we meet them in smaller companies and where the
    >>competition
    >>| is happening at the operating system level. If they customer says they
    >>want
    >>| one person on Linux, then you can't use SQL Server, of course.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.mycustomer.com/cgi-bin/it...01&h=817&f=816
    >>
    >> This is either an disadvantage to Microsoft or an illegal advantage.
    >> They lock
    >> out competitors.

    > Uhh.. what? He's not seriously pretending you can't have a Linux SQL
    > Server client, is he? That will come as news to many people doing just
    > that.

    You have to have something in the bag. For years and years they pretended
    that stored procedures and views weren't needed in a database since you
    could do it all in code in some business logic layer.

+ Reply to Thread