[News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3 - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3 - Linux ; Microsoft Sued; Christmas Comes Early for Z4 Technologies ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is succumbing to patent trolls today, as they’re being ordered to | pay over $140 million for, get this, asking for two passwords. The original | award ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3

    Microsoft Sued; Christmas Comes Early for Z4 Technologies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is succumbing to patent trolls today, as they’re being ordered to
    | pay over $140 million for, get this, asking for two passwords. The original
    | award was ordered in April last year by a federal jury in Marshall, Texas,
    | widely known as the friendliest court for patent trolls. There Microsoft and
    | Autodesk were saddled with $158 million (plus attorney fees) for asking users
    | to “input two passwords during the process of activating newly installed
    | software with the aim of deterring piracy.”
    `----

    http://mashable.com/2007/11/28/micro...-technologies/

    Testers see Windows XP passing Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP operating system is about to get faster and
    | Windows Vista isn't, according to a report that caused a stir online this
    | week as industry watchers speculated that a zippier XP could keep customers
    | from upgrading to Vista.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/...p3_performance

    Bad times for Windows, so Microsoft starts attacking its rivals.

    Here is a better way. Someone calls this "the mom desktop":

    http://ctolpin.googlepages.com/momdesktop3.jpg

    Yesterday:

    Excerpts: Latest filings in 'Vista Capable' lawsuit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The lawsuit over Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" marketing program has
    | reached a key juncture. Lawyers for the plaintiffs have formally requested
    | class-action status for the case, seeking to open it up to many more people,
    | and Microsoft last week filed its official opposition to that request. The
    | filings contain some interesting tidbits on both sides. * *
    `----

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    Judge Says 'Windows Vista Capable' Lawsuit Can Proceed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A federal judge has ruled that two consumers can proceed with a lawsuit that
    | claims Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" campaign was misleading.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...on=All+Stories

    Microsoft Hard-Balling EU Over Vista *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "This is part of the negotiating strategy," a person familiar with the
    | situation told internetnews.com. "They're in a public relations battle."
    |
    | Microsoft made the same threat to South Korean regulators, but did not
    | follow through when they lost that battle.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3631041

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True SuccessorMay be XP SP3

    > Microsoft Sued; Christmas Comes Early for Z4 Technologies
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft is succumbing to patent trolls today, as they’re
    > | being ordered to pay over $140 million for, get this, asking
    > | for two passwords.

    Somebody needs to just shut down the ridiculous US patent system.
    (Cue Timmy defending ridiculous patents. Oh wait, he *can't* this
    time, since he'd be siding against Microsoft. Oh the dilemma!)

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
    16:01:14 up 18 days, 12:54, 2 users, load average: 0.86, 0.96, 0.66

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> Microsoft Sued; Christmas Comes Early for Z4 Technologies
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Microsoft is succumbing to patent trolls today, as they?re
    >> | being ordered to pay over $140 million for, get this, asking
    >> | for two passwords.

    > Somebody needs to just shut down the ridiculous US patent system.
    > (Cue Timmy defending ridiculous patents. Oh wait, he *can't* this
    > time, since he'd be siding against Microsoft. Oh the dilemma!)

    Asking for two passwords is patentable? How stupid is this going to
    get? When will someone shut down the USPTO - it's utterly incompetent.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 03 December 2007 07:13 : \____

    > [H]omer espoused:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft Sued; Christmas Comes Early for Z4 Technologies
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Somebody needs to just shut down the ridiculous US patent system.
    >> (Cue Timmy defending ridiculous patents. Oh wait, he *can't* this
    >> time, since he'd be siding against Microsoft. Oh the dilemma!)
    >>

    > Asking for two passwords is patentable? How stupid is this going to
    > get? When will someone shut down the USPTO - it's utterly incompetent.

    Shopping with a single click is patentable too, so...

    I'm starting to wonder if the USPTO is more scandalous than G Warmonger B.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment
    09:00:04 up 33 days, 12:58, 3 users, load average: 0.56, 0.69, 1.03

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 03 December 2007 07:13 : \____
    >
    >> [H]omer espoused:

    >>> Somebody needs to just shut down the ridiculous US patent system.
    >>> (Cue Timmy defending ridiculous patents. Oh wait, he *can't* this
    >>> time, since he'd be siding against Microsoft. Oh the dilemma!)
    >>>

    >> Asking for two passwords is patentable? How stupid is this going to
    >> get? When will someone shut down the USPTO - it's utterly incompetent.

    > Shopping with a single click is patentable too, so...
    >
    > I'm starting to wonder if the USPTO is more scandalous than G Warmonger B.

    Not so far, but one has to wonder.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's TrueSuccessor May be XP SP3

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:03:05 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    >> Microsoft Sued; Christmas Comes Early for Z4 Technologies
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Microsoft is succumbing to patent trolls today, as they’re
    >> | being ordered to pay over $140 million for, get this, asking
    >> | for two passwords.

    > Somebody needs to just shut down the ridiculous US patent system.
    > (Cue Timmy defending ridiculous patents. Oh wait, he *can't* this
    > time, since he'd be siding against Microsoft. Oh the dilemma!)

    Much as I find the notion of MS getting sued for patent infringement
    deliciously ironic, let's be honest here... that's an asinine patent. The
    whole system is screwed up beyond any hope of repair.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3

    If I want to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'll
    put shoes on the ferret.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3

    Jim Richardson wrote:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>
    >> Much as I find the notion of MS getting sued for patent infringement
    >> deliciously ironic, let's be honest here... that's an asinine patent. The
    >> whole system is screwed up beyond any hope of repair.

    >yep, time to cut it, gut it, and bury it in the compost heap.

    It'll happen real soon now - right about the time they legalize drugs.

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Legal Trouble for Microsoft, Vista's True Successor May be XP SP3

    Jim Richardson espoused:

    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 06:13:43 -0800,
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >>> Somebody needs to just shut down the ridiculous US patent system.
    >>> (Cue Timmy defending ridiculous patents. Oh wait, he *can't* this
    >>> time, since he'd be siding against Microsoft. Oh the dilemma!)

    >> Much as I find the notion of MS getting sued for patent infringement
    >> deliciously ironic, let's be honest here... that's an asinine patent. The
    >> whole system is screwed up beyond any hope of repair.

    > yep, time to cut it, gut it, and bury it in the compost heap.

    Microsoft see this system as being their future, so they'll fight to
    keep it. If that means paying up on a few patents, they won't mind.