[News] Solar-powered Computer Runs GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Solar-powered Computer Runs GNU/Linux - Linux ; Get off the grid with the solar-powered Aleutia E1 computer ,----[ Quote ] | Nope, using a mere 18 watts of power with the display running, it uses a | built-in solar panel to get juice. It runs a version ...

  1. [News] Solar-powered Computer Runs GNU/Linux

    Get off the grid with the solar-powered Aleutia E1 computer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nope, using a mere 18 watts of power with the display running, it uses a
    | built-in solar panel to get juice. It runs a version of Linux that can handle
    | office, web, and multimedia applications, and the 10-inch screen comes
    | built-in.
    `----

    http://dvice.com/archives/2007/11/ge...h_the_sola.php

    Related:

    Nije Shikhi, and GNOME on 12 Volt DC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The computers to be used for that are based on the Geode platform,
    | and are powered by a 12 volt DC battery (which is charged by
    | solar cells).
    `----

    http://sayamindu.randomink.org/rambl...-on-12-volt-dc

    Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
    | Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
    | Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
    | up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
    `----

    http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...ml?track=sy184
    http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

    Linux Could Prevent Use of 4,200,000,000 kg of Fossil Fuels a Year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It turns out that machines that use Linux go obsolete roughly half as
    | fast as Windows machines. And when they do go obsolete, it's because
    | of hardware, not software (the switch from floppy drives to CD-Rs
    | being a prime cause.) Thus, a world using Linux would be a world
    | with half the computer waste (and, admittedly, halved sales for Dell
    | and the rest.)
    |
    | A widespread switch to Linux could prevent literally hundreds of
    | thousands of tons of waste from going into landfills every year.
    | Every computer not needed would prevent the use of 240 kg of fossil
    | fuels. Spread that out over the 17.5 million computers that wouldn't
    | be going obsolete every year and Linux could deliver the world a
    | much more sustainable future.
    |
    | The good news is, the world looks like it's ready to upgrade from
    | Windows. Most of Asia has switched, as least in part, to Open
    | Source Software (OSS); some countries, such as Indonesia, also
    | think that Linux changes scofflaws into legit users. Cuba has
    | reported a 500 percent increase in Linux installation in
    | two years...
    `----

    http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/459/

    Vista poses environmental dangers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
    | experts have warned.
    |
    | The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
    | incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
    | graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
    `----

    http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...-environmental

    Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
    | protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
    | by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
    | side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
    | Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
    | the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
    | global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
    `----

    Vista gets slated - by the Greens

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
    | system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
    |
    | Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
    | unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
    |
    | The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
    | you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
    | to play fair" in the video content market.
    `----

    http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

    Use GNU/Linux and help save the planet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Are Windows users, not by choice, the worst polluters of the planet
    | relative to GNU/Linux? Well, not intentionally but the lifecycle of
    | a machine running Windows must be shorter than that of a
    | conscientious Linux user who can prevent that old 400MHZ Celeron PC
    | with 128MBs of memory gathering dust in the corner from heading for
    | the scrapheap.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The Chinese have a saying: the journey of a thousand miles begins
    | with the first step. Reusing a puffing and wheezing old computer
    | by installing a minimal GNU/Linux distro and staving off the day
    | when it trudges forlornly to the scrapheap is at least a baby step
    | in the right direction.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...ave_the_planet

    Going green

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux is a free, open-source alternative to Windows that will happily
    | run on older computers that struggle to run XP or Vista.
    `----

    http://www.theage.com.au/news/techno...290549494.html

    http://www.kuteev.ru/ph10/edf4.jpg

    Computers in schools are an environmental time-bomb

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Schools are using computers as room
    | heaters which then need to be cooled using expensive air conditioning
    | and Modern thin-client networks could reverse this trend and are
    | available from the Open Source community and vendors of proprietary
    | software today.
    `----

    http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=213

    How Windows XP Wasted $25 Billion of Energy

    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006..._xp.phpRelated

  2. Re: [News] Solar-powered Computer Runs GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Get off the grid with the solar-powered Aleutia E1 computer
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Nope, using a mere 18 watts of power with the display running, it uses a
    >| built-in solar panel to get juice. It runs a version of Linux that can handle
    >| office, web, and multimedia applications, and the 10-inch screen comes
    >| built-in.
    > `----
    >
    > http://dvice.com/archives/2007/11/ge...h_the_sola.php

    These things are amazing. Computing is finally moving in a sensible
    direction, after decades of power wastage.

    I've nothing against gaming machines, of course, but they're not
    necessary for a bit of web surfing, I suspect...