[News] [SOT] Interest Groups Try to Sabotage Sharing, EFF Strikes Back - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [SOT] Interest Groups Try to Sabotage Sharing, EFF Strikes Back - Linux ; [This can hurt Linux too, see below] EFF study confirms Comcast's BitTorrent interference ,----[ Quote ] | The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has released a report (PDF) | containing analysis of Comcast's Internet traffic interference activities. | The EFF's study ...

  1. [News] [SOT] Interest Groups Try to Sabotage Sharing, EFF Strikes Back

    [This can hurt Linux too, see below]

    EFF study confirms Comcast's BitTorrent interference

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has released a report (PDF)
    | containing analysis of Comcast's Internet traffic interference activities.
    | The EFF's study provides strong evidence that Comcast is using packet-forging
    | to disrupt peer-to-peer (P2P) filesharing on their network.
    |
    | According to the report, the EFF used an open-source packet sniffer called
    | Wireshark to analyze network traffic while attempting to seed public domain
    | literature on BitTorrent with a Comcast broadband connection.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...erference.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2g3aeo

    Comcast Using Malicious Hacker Technique Against Own Customers, New Report Says

    ,----[ ]
    | One of the nation's largest telecommunications companies is using a
    | controversial technique to cripple certain kinds of Internet traffic
    | traveling across its networks, says a new report from the digital rigthts
    | group the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...t-using-m.html

    Software aims to uncover 'data discrimination'

    | Increasingly worried over Internet providers' behavior, a nonprofit has
    | released software that helps determine whether online glitches are innocent
    | hiccups or evidence of deliberate traffic tampering.
    `----

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22013943/

    Related:

    Internet capacity alarmism is a corporatist scam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Daily Kos bogger writes, "When big figures like $137 billion start
    | getting tossed around, it is always worth looking at the vital
    | question... 'Who would benefit?' Sure enough, the article includes part of
    | the answer." *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...acity-alarmism

    Mark Cuban to ISPs: block all P2P traffic; Ars to Cuban: um, no

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of course, there are many legitimate uses for P2P that Google Video can't
    | replace, like distributing Linux ISOs. Furthermore, the notion that the only
    | * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | people who benefit from P2P technology are the distributors is wrong. If I
    | have the option of grabbing a download from a distant single server or from a
    | torrent with hundreds of users, I'm going to opt for the torrent. Why? It's
    | almost guaranteed to be faster, and let's face it: most BitTorrent software
    | is quite adept at managing large downloads. Perhaps I want to throttle it
    | while playing a game; perhaps I want to encrypt my transfers. If I'm
    | distributing video or audio, perhaps I don't wish to be bound by the terms of
    | Google Video. * * * * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...p-traffic.html

    Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A DRAFT REPORT by the Australian Institute of Criminology says
    | copyright holders are making up piracy figures in order to sway
    | governments to their side.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Malik added that either these statistics should be withdrawn or the
    | purveyors of these statistics must supply valid and transparent
    | substantiation. However it looks like the report is set to be watered
    | down. Since the draft has been made public, the BSAA has had a hissy
    | fit.
    |
    | Now Institute principal criminologist Russell Smith said the report was
    | "an early draft" that was "being edited" by the agency.
    `----

    Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A number of consumer groups are petitioning the FCC to fine Comcast $195,000
    | for every customer affected by their BitTorrent-throttling practices. The FCC
    | has said in the past that service providers can't "block" customers from
    | using certain applications or websites, but it hasn't enforced that policy. *
    `----

    http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/c...ble-317960.php

    Comcast reported to FCC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | P2P throttling breaks FCC 'net neutrality' policy
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Among the consumer groups who have approached the FCC are the Consumer
    | Federation of America, the Consumers Union, the Media Access Project and
    | professors at the Internet practices of the Yale, Harvard and Stanford law
    | schools. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...t-reported-fcc

    Comcast's "We Don't Throttle BitTorrent" Internal Talking Points Memo

    http://consumerist.com/consumer/leak...emo-315791.php

    Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
    | acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
    | use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
    | are being told nothing about how the network technology works, *
    `----

    http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comca...hey-liars-too/

    Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
    | adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
    | open communications platform." *
    `----

    Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
    | another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
    | and regulate. *
    |
    | On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
    | management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
    | consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
    | Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA. * *
    `----

    OiNK Down, Norwegian BitTorrent Trackers Next

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With the BitTorrent world spinning on its heels after the shock takedown of
    | the huge OiNK tracker, there are now indications that the shutdowns may
    | continue. According to the lawyer who lost against ‘DVD Jon’, next stop is
    | Norway and raids are imminent. *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/oink-down-no...s-next-071024/

    TorrentSpy Traffic Plunges After US Ban

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The MPAA has caused TorrentSpy, once the most popular BitTorrent site, some
    | serious headaches. After a federal judge ordered TorrentSpy to log all user
    | data stored in RAM, they decided to block access to US users, consequently
    | their traffic dropped significantly. *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/torrentspy-t...us-ban-071006/

    BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
    | his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
    | wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
    | is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet. *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

    Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
    | to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
    | can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
    | the transmission of future packets. *
    |
    | According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
    | sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
    | from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

    Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
    `----

    http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/20...ban.html?imw=Y

    Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

    | Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
    | searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
    `----

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...41244&from=rss

    Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
    | BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
    | in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
    | A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
    | trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
    | ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
    | BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
    | P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
    | bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
    | stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
    | because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
    | to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
    | provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.” * * * *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-thro...ng-impossible/

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Interest Groups Try to Sabotage Sharing, EFF StrikesBack

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker

    is to have
    > | his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If

    that
    > | wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which

    means he
    > | is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the

    internet.
    > `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

    283 Oct 09, 2007 at 00:27 by 9/11 Was A Microsoft JobQuote 9/11 Was A
    Microsoft Job

    "More proof of the fascist corporate criminals treating US like
    we’re criminals, when THEY are the criminals!"

    "To ALL software developers: If you don’t support GNU/Linux, you
    support corporate tyranny and corporate terrorism. And the makers of the
    monitoring software, by not porting their software to GNU/Linux, are
    giving aid and comfort to the corporate terrorists. MICROSOFT IS A
    TERRORIST CORPORATION!"

    A reasonable and enlightened response if your name happens to be Mark Bilk.

+ Reply to Thread