Opinion: Competing Trends are Creating an Opening for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista faces problems here. Cheap hardware becomes impossible if the operating
| system itself costs hundreds of dollars, and you just can’t fit much hardware
| into a highly mobile device. Linux solves both these problems. Linux has low
| requirements. Linux is free.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2007/1...ing-for-linux/

Mobile likes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, the use of small mobile device will not stop any when soon. The
| ubiquitousness of high speed web access will catalyze even more the entry of
| all sorts of small mobile devices. But who will get the fruits of such
| thing - depends on applications and their vendors.
|
| I think that Linux-based devices have a very bright future ahead.
`----

http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/200...kes-linux.html

The 3 Linux Phones to Watch in 2008

,----[ Headings ]
| Google Android
|
| Deeda Pi Phone
|
| OpenMoko
`----

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=872

Microsoft and Apple both know this and have acknowledged this. They are behind
Linux in terms of market share.

Related:

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com...ktop-what.html

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
`----

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android. * *
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share. *
`---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006...arket-by-2010/

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-os/2007-01-03