Adobe to launch ads in PDF files

,----[ Quote ]
| A new ad platform is currently in Beta testing by Adobe and Yahoo which could
| change the way PDF publishers earn revenue. The platform would allow
| advertisements to be shown in Adobe's PDF file format. The opt-in service
| would host contextually targeted ads within the documents.
`----

http://www.bizreport.com/2007/11/ado...pdf_files.html

GNU PDF to fill missing gap in functionality

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the main reason why the Free Software Foundation (FSF) has declared
| GNU PDF a high priority project, and is actively seeking donations to speed
| its progress.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/122195

Related:

FSF Accepting Donations For GNU PDF Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation is working to develop a set of libraries and
| programs that implement the PDF file format. Even non-developers can
| contribute to the cause. *
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/fsf_acce...nu_pdf_project

Microsoft finally admits fault for PDF attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| There we were thinking that Adobe was at fault because its Acrobat reader had
| a vulnerability that exposed users to bad PDF files filled with malwares sent
| in spam when all along it was yet another vulnerability in Microsoft Windows.
| Microsoft has belatedly admitted that it's to blame and is working on a fix
| but for many it may be too late as spam with dodgy PDF files is hitting
| mailboxes by tens of thousands. * *
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15053/1023/

New PDF Zero-Day Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]
| The British security researcher who has disclosed two critical flaws in
| popular media files in the past week said Thursday that a zero-day
| vulnerability in Adobe Inc.'s pervasive PDF files could be exploited to
| snatch control of Windows XP systems. *
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...1/article.html

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

PDF spam tsunami hits email inboxes

,----[ Quote ]
| The email messages are being sent from compromised home PCs, turned into
| zombie relay stations by hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/09/pdf_spam_blitz/

Latest Stock Spam Strategy Uses PDFs

,----[ Quote ]
| Five billion spam messages flooded the Internet on Wednesday in
| a realistic-looking pump-and-dump scam that had its intended
| effect of boosting trading volume for German-based Talktech Telemedia.
|
| [...]
|
| The outbreak, which represented 9 percent of all e-mail traffic, making it
| one of the 10 largest outbreaks of 2007, was distributed by over 75,000
| zombie PCs. The top three locations of these zombies were the U.S., Spain,
| and Germany. Recipients of the attack were mainly in Europe. *
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20070621/tc_nf/53224

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.
`----

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/