Debugger for 2.6 Kernel - Linux

This is a discussion on Debugger for 2.6 Kernel - Linux ; Where can I get a copy of the debugger for 2.6 kernel for PPC platform. Thanks....

  1. Debugger for 2.6 Kernel

    Where can I get a copy of the debugger for 2.6 kernel for PPC
    platform. Thanks.

  2. Re: Debugger for 2.6 Kernel

    On Nov 30, 11:45 am, jdat...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Where can I get a copy of the debugger for 2.6 kernel for PPC
    > platform. Thanks.

    There are a number of options:
    KDB - Needs some extra patches from oss.sgi.com. One of the down
    points is the Kernel has to run in single mode.
    KGDB - Needs an extra patch from kgdb.sf.net. I dont think this one
    can do PPC but it can do PowerPC with flatened device tree.
    GDB - Bit messy to start up but can debug modules.

    Oprofile - Can be used to profile the kernel usage, if that helps.
    Strace - Can be used to find out what system calls a user mode program
    does.

    But in my humble opinion I got the best results out of the following
    two methods:
    Printk - Straight out printk s to dump debug data to the system log
    and view it (after the fact) in dmesg.
    BDI2000 - This is an excellent JTAG hardware debugger which can be
    used to step through code. Bit expensive though, and need a JTAG port
    on your board.

    If you want more specific details on any of these, GOOGLE IS YOUR
    FRIEND!

+ Reply to Thread