(for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish - Linux

This is a discussion on (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish - Linux ; I don't know whether this will come across as funny or just stupid, so if legitimate, non-troll posters consider it stupid or in bad taste, I would like to apologize in advance. Early this morning, I wrote a file for ...

  1. (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    I don't know whether this will come across as funny or just stupid, so
    if legitimate, non-troll posters consider it stupid or in bad taste, I
    would like to apologize in advance.

    Early this morning, I wrote a file for the "fortune" program that will
    allow it to print random flatfish nyms from the list on the cola trolls
    blog. The best uses I have found so far include as part of a sig (see
    below) or as part of a shell script used as the action when you click on
    an instance of the fish applet named flatfish(It's like having your very
    own pet troll!). Please tell me what you think.

    To install it (assuming you already have fortune, as you probably do),
    just copy the two files linked to below into whatever folder fortune
    uses (for me, it /usr/share/games/fortune).

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ccjfj1rm2mj

    http://www.mediafire.com/?bentzylynet

    To run it, just type "fortune flatfish" into the terminal.

    If it doesn't work, make a link to the file called "flatfish" in the
    same folder, and rename the link to "flatfish.u8"

    Have fun!

    --

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    bones4jones

  2. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    * Ben Miller-Jacobson fired off this tart reply:

    > To install it (assuming you already have fortune, as you probably do),
    > just copy the two files linked to below into whatever folder fortune
    > uses (for me, it /usr/share/games/fortune).
    >
    > http://www.mediafire.com/?ccjfj1rm2mj
    >
    > http://www.mediafire.com/?bentzylynet
    >
    > To run it, just type "fortune flatfish" into the terminal.
    >
    > If it doesn't work, make a link to the file called "flatfish" in the
    > same folder, and rename the link to "flatfish.u8"

    As flatfish's attorney, I inform you that you owe the flatfish some
    royalties.

    Yours Truly
    No fortunes found

    (Oops, I'm on two machines at once, installed on the other machine.)

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:46:00 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >* Ben Miller-Jacobson fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> To install it (assuming you already have fortune, as you probably do),
    >> just copy the two files linked to below into whatever folder fortune
    >> uses (for me, it /usr/share/games/fortune).
    >>
    >> http://www.mediafire.com/?ccjfj1rm2mj
    >>
    >> http://www.mediafire.com/?bentzylynet
    >>
    >> To run it, just type "fortune flatfish" into the terminal.
    >>
    >> If it doesn't work, make a link to the file called "flatfish" in the
    >> same folder, and rename the link to "flatfish.u8"

    >As flatfish's attorney, I inform you that you owe the flatfish some
    >royalties.
    >
    >Yours Truly
    >No fortunes found
    >
    >(Oops, I'm on two machines at once, installed on the other machine.)

    I've had a band mention flatfish and Linux in one of their songs.
    I'll be dammed if I can find it though.

    Also I once won "troll of the year" for my "Stump Maple Products"
    troll.
    To this day it was one of my finest works!
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....aple+products#

    I had Linux kooks phoning all over Vermont trying to find the Stumps!

  4. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > I've had a band mention flatfish and Linux in one of their songs.
    > I'll be dammed if I can find it though.
    >
    > Also I once won "troll of the year" for my "Stump Maple Products"
    > troll.
    > To this day it was one of my finest works!
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....aple+products#
    >
    > I had Linux kooks phoning all over Vermont trying to find the Stumps!

    Look like it was slightly before my time. Looks also like my namesake
    and a guy named Arthur outed you PDQ.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    flatfish writes:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:46:00 -0500, Linonut
    > wrote:
    >
    >>* Ben Miller-Jacobson fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> To install it (assuming you already have fortune, as you probably do),
    >>> just copy the two files linked to below into whatever folder fortune
    >>> uses (for me, it /usr/share/games/fortune).
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mediafire.com/?ccjfj1rm2mj
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mediafire.com/?bentzylynet
    >>>
    >>> To run it, just type "fortune flatfish" into the terminal.
    >>>
    >>> If it doesn't work, make a link to the file called "flatfish" in the
    >>> same folder, and rename the link to "flatfish.u8"

    >>As flatfish's attorney, I inform you that you owe the flatfish some
    >>royalties.
    >>
    >>Yours Truly
    >>No fortunes found
    >>
    >>(Oops, I'm on two machines at once, installed on the other machine.)

    > I've had a band mention flatfish and Linux in one of their songs.
    > I'll be dammed if I can find it though.
    >
    > Also I once won "troll of the year" for my "Stump Maple Products"
    > troll.
    > To this day it was one of my finest works!
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....aple+products#
    >
    > I had Linux kooks phoning all over Vermont trying to find the Stumps!

    Legendary stuff!

    --
    Mi Windows 95 no se cuelg

  6. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:05:38 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >Look like it was slightly before my time. Looks also like my namesake
    >and a guy named Arthur outed you PDQ.

    You have to understand, it went on for WEEKS in other threads.
    It didn't even start out as a troll but more of a joke.
    I couldn't believe the Linux kooks took it seriously, but they did.

  7. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    flatfish wrote:

    > Someday I am going to write a book about the wild wild west days of
    > Usenet.
    > I plan on having a complete chapter on Roy Schestowitz.

    Odd.... I've thought about doing the same thing, but about Internet/Web
    personalities in general.

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  8. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> Someday I am going to write a book about the wild wild west days of
    >> Usenet.
    >> I plan on having a complete chapter on Roy Schestowitz.

    > Odd.... I've thought about doing the same thing, but about Internet/Web
    > personalities in general.

    Well, you wont cross each others paths then. You take care of the
    personalities and FF can cover the loons.

    --
    "Sul lungo periodo, Linux e' il vero concorrente di Windows NT."
    -- Dave Madden, senior product manager alla

  9. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    Hadron wrote:

    > Well, you wont cross each others paths then. You take care of the
    > personalities and FF can cover the loons.

    Loons have personalities, too, Hadron.

    As do trolls. :-P
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Incontinence Hotline, please hold.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  10. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    > Tattoo Vampire writes:
    >
    >> flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >>> Someday I am going to write a book about the wild wild west days of
    >>> Usenet.
    >>> I plan on having a complete chapter on Roy Schestowitz.

    >> Odd.... I've thought about doing the same thing, but about Internet/Web
    >> personalities in general.

    > Well, you wont cross each others paths then. You take care of the
    > personalities and FF can cover the loons.

    I'm sure FF will have a nice little sidebar on "Hadron", under the
    caption "Arrogant Loon".

    --
    Tux rox!

  11. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:33:32 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >* Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire writes:

    >>> Odd.... I've thought about doing the same thing, but about Internet/Web
    >>> personalities in general.

    >> Well, you wont cross each others paths then. You take care of the
    >> personalities and FF can cover the loons.

    >I'm sure FF will have a nice little sidebar on "Hadron", under the
    >caption "Arrogant Loon".

    The only arrogant people in this group are Roy, Mark, Homer, HPT and
    Willy P.
    And even Willy P isn't really arrogant, he's just ignorant.

    My chapter on Roy Schestowitz is going to be called "Spamming For
    Dollars" a take off on the old Bowling For Dollars game show where
    prizes were $1.00 for every pin you knocked down, and you had to split
    that with your "pin pal" which was picked at random from a basket of
    cards people had sent in.

    IOW a real low budget show.

    And that's what made it so entertaining.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Dollars

  12. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    flatfish wrote:

    > Someday I am going to write a book about the wild wild west days of
    > Usenet.

    Where's the proof?

    > I plan on having a complete chapter on Roy Schestowitz.

    Where's the proof?

  13. Re: (for your enjoyment) Fortune Flatfish

    flatfish wrote:

    > My chapter on Roy Schestowitz

    Where's the proof?

    > is going to be called "Spamming For Dollars"

    Where's the proof?

+ Reply to Thread