Looking forward to a vacation.

,----[ Quote ]
| Something I AM doing soon is “Downgrading” my computer from Windows Vista to
| XP because Vista is just a combination of XP with Stupid… and I’m not a fan
| of Stupid. I basically use my laptop to browse the internet, which firefox
| does extremely well, watch some videos (VLC), listen to music (iTunes), and
| occasionally play some games. All these are tasks that I can do more
| effectively in Windows XP than Vista. I even use Ubuntu when I’m not going to
| play any games, since it’s even lighter, faster and stable than any Windows
| I’ve used (except maybe 98SE).

The same typical story of people trying Linux after big Vista disappointments
and abandonment.

Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries such as
| Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions of
| children around the world with Linux as their first operating
| system.
| In stark contrast Microsoft have just released Windows Vista,
| probably the most resource hungry Operating System ever, for
| the PC platform.

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit. *
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace. *

If you're Steve Ballmer, don't read this

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's hopes now rest with Ray Ozzie, the company's chief software
| architect. But not even the Great White Wizard can turn back the clock.

Open source and Linux looking better every day

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different
| versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download
| an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program?
| [...]
| Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both.

Vista Upgrade: Stuck in the Middle of Nowhere

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just another reason (again, that is another post for another
| time) why I am hoping to never upgrade my Windows XP laptop to Vista.
| I am hedging my bets on Linux and Wine improving to where I can
| abandon Windows before XP is no longer supported.

Linux Says Bye-bye Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]