[News] [SOT] More on Intellectual Monopolies and Their Abuse - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [SOT] More on Intellectual Monopolies and Their Abuse - Linux ; How long should copyright last in a digital age? ,----[ Quote ] | We don't have an IP problem. We have a momentary problem figuring out how to | monetize IP in a digital world. Software is figuring it out ...

  1. [News] [SOT] More on Intellectual Monopolies and Their Abuse

    How long should copyright last in a digital age?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We don't have an IP problem. We have a momentary problem figuring out how to
    | monetize IP in a digital world. Software is figuring it out through SaaS and
    | open source. The music and film industries will figure it out, too. In fact,
    | iTunes shows the way, as Keegan indicates. We shouldn't be too quick to jump
    | on copyright extensions to solve a problem that really has nothing to do with
    | copyright, except for the unfortunate fetishing of it.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Related:

    What Does "IP" Really Mean?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For readers of Linux Journal, "IP" almost certainly refers to the Internet
    | Protocol, part of the TCP/IP suite that underpins the Internet. But to most *
    | people, if it means anything, "IP" refers to something known as "intellectual
    | property". This widespread recognition is rather curious,
    | because "intellectual property" does not exist. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005736

    A Patent Lie

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
    | anyone can implement is communism...
    | *
    | ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
    | recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
    | became one of these giants...
    `----

    http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+o...j=news.1071.20

    Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
    | that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
    | almost any participation by the small business community.
    |
    | Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
    | competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
    | large corporations and the patent industry.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
    | Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
    | But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
    | report in any way
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
    | said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
    | all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
    | those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/bi...usinesses.html

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] More on Intellectual Monopolies and Their Abuse

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:39:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >How long should copyright last in a digital age?
    >
    >,----[ Quote ]
    >| We don't have an IP problem. We have a momentary problem figuring out how to
    >| monetize IP in a digital world. Software is figuring it out through SaaS and
    >| open source. The music and film industries will figure it out, too. In fact,
    >| iTunes shows the way, as Keegan indicates. We shouldn't be too quick to jump
    >| on copyright extensions to solve a problem that really has nothing to do with
    >| copyright, except for the unfortunate fetishing of it.
    >`----
    >
    >http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad
    >

    >Related:
    >
    >What Does "IP" Really Mean?

    ??
    'Idiot Poaster ?

    I looked that up and it said "See Schestowitz".

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] More on Intellectual Monopolies and Their Abuse

    "flatfish" schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:39:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >>How long should copyright last in a digital age?
    >>
    >>,----[ Quote ]
    >>| We don't have an IP problem. We have a momentary problem figuring out
    >>how to
    >>| monetize IP in a digital world. Software is figuring it out through SaaS
    >>and
    >>| open source. The music and film industries will figure it out, too. In
    >>fact,
    >>| iTunes shows the way, as Keegan indicates. We shouldn't be too quick to
    >>jump
    >>| on copyright extensions to solve a problem that really has nothing to do
    >>with
    >>| copyright, except for the unfortunate fetishing of it.
    >>`----
    >>
    >>http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad
    >>

    >>Related:
    >>
    >>What Does "IP" Really Mean?

    > ??
    > 'Idiot Poaster ?
    >
    > I looked that up and it said "See Schestowitz".

    Ha, ha! the first hit is:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...ster-liar.html

+ Reply to Thread