Vista worries cause businesses to consider Macs and Linux (SJVN) - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista worries cause businesses to consider Macs and Linux (SJVN) - Linux ; KACE, a systems management appliance company, announced on Nov. 19 that its new survey revealed that 90 percent of the Windows users are concerned about migrating to Vista, and that 44 percent would consider deploying Macs or Linux-based systems to ...

  1. Vista worries cause businesses to consider Macs and Linux (SJVN)

    KACE, a systems management appliance company, announced on Nov. 19
    that its new survey revealed that 90 percent of the Windows users are
    concerned about migrating to Vista, and that 44 percent would consider
    deploying Macs or Linux-based systems to avoid Vista migration.

    While Microsoft claims that Vista deployments are increasing,
    analysts, such as Forrester, observe that business Vista adoption has
    been going extremely slowly and that Linux is becoming a serious
    contender for the enterprise desktop....

    In a follow-up
    story, in eWEEK Careers, Howard Graylin, a senior technical analyst in
    Ridgeland, Miss., echoed the concerns of many IT staffers when he
    said: "Personally, I'm dreading the amount of time it'll take to
    upgrade each machine from a hardware standpoint--adding memory or
    whatever--and from an operating system upgrade. It's just time
    consuming."...

    The research showed that IT departments of all sizes have grave
    concerns about deploying Vista, and are even choosing to deploy
    alternative operating systems. This has led to a new set of
    challenges, such as the difficulties derived from managing multiple
    operating systems and a lack of familiarity with non-Windows
    alternative operating systems.

    Still, 44 percent are considering switching from Windows to an
    alternative. The most frequently mentioned Windows replacement was
    Macintosh with 28 percent. Red Hat Linux was cited almost as
    frequently, with 23 percent. SUSE Linux was cited by a further 18
    percent of participants and other Linux platforms were chosen by 9
    percent of participants. Four percent of participants were unsure of
    which operating system they would be most likely to choose.

    [Virtualization has made movement away from Microsoft more
    attractive...difficulties of migration...nevertheless...]

    The bottom line is that 90 percent of participants are concerned about
    migrating to Windows Vista. Fifty-three percent have no plans, even
    with Vista SP 1 in sight, to deploy Vista at all and only 13 percent
    expect they will eventually be fully deployed on Vista. Indeed, far
    more companies--44 percent--are considering Mac OS and/or Linux rather
    than switching to Vista.

  2. Re: Vista worries cause businesses to consider Macs and Linux (SJVN)

    In article @d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu says...

    > KACE, a systems management appliance company, announced on Nov. 19
    > that its new survey revealed that 90 percent of the Windows users are
    > concerned about migrating to Vista, and that 44 percent would consider
    > deploying Macs or Linux-based systems to avoid Vista migration.
    >
    > While Microsoft claims that Vista deployments are increasing,
    > analysts, such as Forrester, observe that business Vista adoption has
    > been going extremely slowly and that Linux is becoming a serious
    > contender for the enterprise desktop....
    >
    > In a follow-up
    > story, in eWEEK Careers, Howard Graylin, a senior technical analyst in
    > Ridgeland, Miss., echoed the concerns of many IT staffers when he
    > said: "Personally, I'm dreading the amount of time it'll take to
    > upgrade each machine from a hardware standpoint--adding memory or
    > whatever--and from an operating system upgrade. It's just time
    > consuming."...
    >
    > The research showed that IT departments of all sizes have grave
    > concerns about deploying Vista, and are even choosing to deploy
    > alternative operating systems. This has led to a new set of
    > challenges, such as the difficulties derived from managing multiple
    > operating systems and a lack of familiarity with non-Windows
    > alternative operating systems.
    >
    > Still, 44 percent are considering switching from Windows to an
    > alternative. The most frequently mentioned Windows replacement was
    > Macintosh with 28 percent. Red Hat Linux was cited almost as
    > frequently, with 23 percent. SUSE Linux was cited by a further 18
    > percent of participants and other Linux platforms were chosen by 9
    > percent of participants. Four percent of participants were unsure of
    > which operating system they would be most likely to choose.

    Actually, you are slightly incorrect here. The article stated that 44
    percent have considered (past tense) switching to a non-Microsoft OS
    instead of adopting Vista. Did the survey mean "switching to a non-
    Microsoft OS instead of adopting Vista" throughout the organization or
    just parts of the org? I can't tell form the article. In any case,
    that has a different meaning than the way you stated it that they are
    currently considering switching from Windows.

    > [Virtualization has made movement away from Microsoft more
    > attractive...difficulties of migration...nevertheless...]
    >
    > The bottom line is that 90 percent of participants are concerned about
    > migrating to Windows Vista. Fifty-three percent have no plans, even
    > with Vista SP 1 in sight, to deploy Vista at all and only 13 percent
    > expect they will eventually be fully deployed on Vista. Indeed, far
    > more companies--44 percent--are considering Mac OS and/or Linux rather
    > than switching to Vista.

    You fail to mention the 14% that will deploy Vista on new machines only
    and another 18% that are still running internal testing before making up
    their minds.

    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5118924882.html

    The one question I didn't see answered is how many were just going to
    stand pat with what they have now rather than migrate to Vista or any
    other OS.

    --
    "There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
    those that understand binary and those that don't." - Unknown

  3. Re: Vista worries cause businesses to consider Macs and Linux (SJVN)

    * Greg Cox fired off this tart reply:

    > In article > @d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu says...
    >
    > The one question I didn't see answered is how many were just going to
    > stand pat with what they have now rather than migrate to Vista or any
    > other OS.

    Nice to see you keep tabs on COLA.

    --
    Tux rox!