Re: Keep users from executing system commands - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Keep users from executing system commands - Linux ; On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:19:01 -0800 (PST), NiteRider wrote: >Hello all, > >I have a system in which I added a user. The problem is that the user >can execute commands in the "bin" directory like "mount", etc. > ...

  1. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I have a system in which I added a user. The problem is that the user
    >can execute commands in the "bin" directory like "mount", etc.
    >
    >What can I do to ensure that he cannot execute system commands like
    >this?
    >
    >Cheers!
    >NR

    1. You are asking a technical question in comp.os.linux.advocacy which
    is a cesspool completely devoid of Linux knowledge.

    2. To answer your question, read up on permissions, groups etc.

  2. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:19:01 -0800 (PST), NiteRider
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>I have a system in which I added a user. The problem is that the user
    >>can execute commands in the "bin" directory like "mount", etc.
    >>
    >>What can I do to ensure that he cannot execute system commands like
    >>this?
    >>
    >>Cheers!
    >>NR

    > 1. You are asking a technical question in comp.os.linux.advocacy which
    > is a cesspool completely devoid of Linux knowledge.

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    comp.os.linux.advocacy

    He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    adding his drivel

    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    If it starts working, we'll fix it. Pronto.

  3. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:00:56 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:

    >flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:19:01 -0800 (PST), NiteRider
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello all,
    >>>
    >>>I have a system in which I added a user. The problem is that the user
    >>>can execute commands in the "bin" directory like "mount", etc.
    >>>
    >>>What can I do to ensure that he cannot execute system commands like
    >>>this?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers!
    >>>NR

    >> 1. You are asking a technical question in comp.os.linux.advocacy which
    >> is a cesspool completely devoid of Linux knowledge.

    >Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    >comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >
    >He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    >adding his drivel
    >
    >> 2. To answer your question, read up on permissions, groups etc.

    At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    like you Peter Kohlmann did.

  4. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:00:56 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >>flatfish wrote:

    >>> 1. You are asking a technical question in comp.os.linux.advocacy which
    >>> is a cesspool completely devoid of Linux knowledge.

    >>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    >>comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>
    >>He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    >>adding his drivel
    >>
    >>> 2. To answer your question, read up on permissions, groups etc.

    > At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    > like you Peter Kohlmann did.

    You didn't answer **** you cumbubbling ****wit. All you did was be your
    old asshole self.

  5. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    "flatfish" schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:00:56 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >>flatfish wrote:

    >>> 1. You are asking a technical question in comp.os.linux.advocacy which
    >>> is a cesspool completely devoid of Linux knowledge.

    >>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    >>comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>
    >>He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    >>adding his drivel
    >>
    >>> 2. To answer your question, read up on permissions, groups etc.

    > At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    > like you Peter Kohlmann did.

    This Kohlmann guy is weird!
    http://groups.google.com/groups?comp...-8&sa=N&tab=wg

  6. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:57:55 +0100, "Hans" wrote:

    >"flatfish" schreef in bericht
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:00:56 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    >> wrote:

    >>>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    >>>comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>>
    >>>He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    >>>adding his drivel

    >> At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    >> like you Peter Kohlmann did.
    >>

    >This Kohlmann guy is weird!
    >http://groups.google.com/groups?comp...-8&sa=N&tab=wg

    Peter Kohlmann is certainly a few Panzers shy of a full regiment
    though.

  7. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    flatfish :
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:00:56 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >>flatfish wrote:

    >>> 1. You are asking a technical question in comp.os.linux.advocacy which
    >>> is a cesspool completely devoid of Linux knowledge.

    >>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    >>comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>
    >>He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    >>adding his drivel
    >>
    >>> 2. To answer your question, read up on permissions, groups etc.

    > At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    > like you Peter Kohlmann did.

    A better answer may have been 'man rbash'.

    --
    COFFEE NOW DAMMIT

    www.websterscafe.com

  8. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 02:14:59 GMT, Handover Phist
    wrote:

    >flatfish :
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:00:56 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    >> wrote:

    >>>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    >>>comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>>
    >>>He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    >>>adding his drivel

    >> At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    >> like you Peter Kohlmann did.

    >A better answer may have been 'man rbash'.

    yes it would have.

  9. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    flatfish :
    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 02:14:59 GMT, Handover Phist
    > wrote:
    >
    >>flatfish :

    >>> At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    >>> like you Peter Kohlmann did.

    >>A better answer may have been 'man rbash'.

    > yes it would have.

    Yeah, but this group is completely devoid of Linux knowledge. Right.
    *sigh*. There's a ****load of knowledge here. The fact that it's a cage
    match has ****ed the whole place up. There's even a ****load of Windows
    knowledge here. There's a ****load of all kinds of knowledge here.

    WAKE THE **** UP

    --
    DON'T go!! I'm not HOWARD COSELL!! I know POLISH JOKES ... WAIT!!
    Don't go!! I AM Howard Cosell! ... And I DON'T know Polish jokes!!

    www.websterscafe.com

  10. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    Handover Phist writes:

    > flatfish :
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:00:56 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    >> wrote:

    >>>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.setup,
    >>>comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>>
    >>>He asked a question in the right group(s). And flatfish could not resist
    >>>adding his drivel

    >> At least I attempted to answer his question which is more than a troll
    >> like you Peter Kohlmann did.

    > A better answer may have been 'man rbash'.

    No. A better answer would be to go and get a book about Linux and get a
    clue. The OP clearly has no real idea of that they want. Commands are
    there for a reason. And the user will not get access to anything that
    could potentially screw the system assuming he isn't a SUDOer.

    --
    Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they become soggy and hard to
    light.

  11. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    flatfish wrote:

    > comp.os.linux.advocacy which is a cesspool completely devoid of
    > Linux knowledge.

    Where's the proof?

  12. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    Handover Phist espoused:
    > flatfish :
    >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 02:14:59 GMT, Handover Phist
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>flatfish :

    >>>A better answer may have been 'man rbash'.

    >> yes it would have.

    > Yeah, but this group is completely devoid of Linux knowledge. Right.
    > *sigh*. There's a ****load of knowledge here. The fact that it's a cage
    > match has ****ed the whole place up. There's even a ****load of Windows
    > knowledge here. There's a ****load of all kinds of knowledge here.
    >

    > WAKE THE **** UP

    That stanza leaves one speculating on just how much a ****load is. Can
    a ****load be converted into, say, MKS units? Imperial units? Hmm...

  13. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    On 2007-12-05, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Handover Phist espoused:
    >> flatfish :

    >>> yes it would have.

    >> Yeah, but this group is completely devoid of Linux knowledge. Right.
    >> *sigh*. There's a ****load of knowledge here. The fact that it's a cage
    >> match has ****ed the whole place up. There's even a ****load of Windows
    >> knowledge here. There's a ****load of all kinds of knowledge here.
    >>

    >> WAKE THE **** UP
    >>

    > That stanza leaves one speculating on just how much a ****load is. Can
    > a ****load be converted into, say, MKS units? Imperial units? Hmm...

    I believe the conversion unit is a Funkenbush.

    --

    (o< |)
    //\ ..may the beacon /\obt.

  14. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    * Robt. Miller fired off this tart reply:

    > On 2007-12-05, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    > I believe the conversion unit is a Funkenbush.

    Oh, an "Fü".

    --
    Tux rox!

  15. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Robt. Miller fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On 2007-12-05, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> I believe the conversion unit is a Funkenbush.

    > Oh, an "Fü".

    Should be a Fµ
    A "US ****load" amounts to a Micro-Funkenbusch
    --
    The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says:
    Support your right to bare arms!

  16. Re: Keep users from executing system commands

    Linonut espoused:
    > * Robt. Miller fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On 2007-12-05, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> I believe the conversion unit is a Funkenbush.

    > Oh, an "Fü".

    hhahahah! :-))