Newbie question... - Linux

This is a discussion on Newbie question... - Linux ; Hi! I am new to Linux, but have decided to use Fedora. I have a lot of folders and files saved on CD (*.avi, *.mpg and *.mp3 etc) and wonder if I will be able to see and use them ...

  1. Newbie question...

    Hi!

    I am new to Linux, but have decided to use Fedora. I have a lot of folders
    and files saved on CD (*.avi, *.mpg and *.mp3 etc) and wonder if I will be
    able to see and use them when I have installed Linux? I also have a lot of
    stuff on my second harddrive that I want to keep. What do I do?

    Since I am a musician and use SB Live Platinum, I wonder if I can use most
    of the functions with Linux? I will have my soundcard in another computer
    otherwise, but my hopes are to get rid of Microsoft FOREVER!!!

    I don't know if this is the right group for this question, but I give it a
    shot and would be happy if someone could help me!

    I know that I should try linux before, but I prefer just do jump in and
    fight with the big problems in the beginning.

    Thanks
    Yvonne

  2. Re: Newbie question...

    * Yvonne Wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I am new to Linux, but have decided to use Fedora. I have a lot of
    > folders and files saved on CD (*.avi, *.mpg and *.mp3 etc) and
    > wonder if I will be able to see and use them when I have installed
    > Linux?

    Absolutely.

    > I also have a lot of stuff on my second harddrive that I
    > want to keep. What do I do?

    Leave it there? Linux will be able to access the other HD, a trick MS
    has been unable to duplicate.

    > Since I am a musician and use SB Live Platinum, I wonder if I can
    > use most of the functions with Linux?

    Such as?

    > I will have my soundcard in
    > another computer otherwise, but my hopes are to get rid of
    > Microsoft FOREVER!!!

    You are one step closer.

    > I don't know if this is the right group for this question, but I
    > give it a shot and would be happy if someone could help me!

    Help with what, you really havent asked many questions.

    > I know that I should try linux before, but I prefer just do jump
    > in and fight with the big problems in the beginning.

    Just dont delete windows first if that is the route you chose. While
    doable, it might be a bit frustrating if you cant get on the internet
    with linux and then have no way to ask for help.

    --
    David

  3. Re: Newbie question...

    "SINNER" skrev i meddelandet
    news:Xns96678D46BD29ALouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    > * Yvonne Wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I am new to Linux, but have decided to use Fedora. I have a lot of
    > > folders and files saved on CD (*.avi, *.mpg and *.mp3 etc) and
    > > wonder if I will be able to see and use them when I have installed
    > > Linux?

    > Absolutely.
    >
    > > I also have a lot of stuff on my second harddrive that I
    > > want to keep. What do I do?
    > >

    > Leave it there? Linux will be able to access the other HD, a trick MS
    > has been unable to duplicate.
    >
    > > Since I am a musician and use SB Live Platinum, I wonder if I can
    > > use most of the functions with Linux?

    > Such as?
    >
    > > I will have my soundcard in
    > > another computer otherwise, but my hopes are to get rid of
    > > Microsoft FOREVER!!!

    > You are one step closer.
    >
    > > I don't know if this is the right group for this question, but I
    > > give it a shot and would be happy if someone could help me!
    > >

    > Help with what, you really havent asked many questions.
    >
    > > I know that I should try linux before, but I prefer just do jump
    > > in and fight with the big problems in the beginning.

    > Just dont delete windows first if that is the route you chose. While
    > doable, it might be a bit frustrating if you cant get on the internet
    > with linux and then have no way to ask for help.
    >
    > --
    > David

    Hi again and thanks for the quick answer :-)

    I have installed Linux once before, but not used it other then get it to
    work on the Internet. I guess it is rather simple since I have a router and
    just plug it in. I don't have to worry about deleting windows on this
    machine since I have some machines here with the "virus" Windows :-)

    I plan to restart the machine and install after I have fixed all I need for
    Fedora. I have 4 disks with Fedora. Do I need something more than that? I
    don't know what program to use as an emailclient and for newsgroups. I guess
    I can find it in Fedora, to begin with. I don't know how to install
    applications in Linux. I know that I did try it once before (rpm), but it
    didn't work for me, but it was a couple of years ago.

    About SB Live I use environmental audio for effects and the frontpanel. Can
    I use them in Linux?

    Thanks again
    Yvonne

  4. Re: Newbie question...

    * Yvonne wrote in comp.os.linux:

    [...]

    > Hi again and thanks for the quick answer :-)

    > I have installed Linux once before, but not used it other then get it to
    > work on the Internet. I guess it is rather simple since I have a router and
    > just plug it in. I don't have to worry about deleting windows on this
    > machine since I have some machines here with the "virus" Windows :-)

    > I plan to restart the machine and install after I have fixed all I need for
    > Fedora. I have 4 disks with Fedora. Do I need something more than that?

    I dont use FC but that sounds right.

    > don't know what program to use as an emailclient and for newsgroups.

    mutt and slrn for console based and take your pick of email/news gui
    depending on your needs.

    > I guess
    > I can find it in Fedora, to begin with. I don't know how to install
    > applications in Linux. I know that I did try it once before (rpm), but it
    > didn't work for me, but it was a couple of years ago.

    You should probably ask in a group specific to your distro.
    Mandrake/driva has a pretty good installer called urpm which resolves
    conflicts and downlads packages automatically.

    > About SB Live I use environmental audio for effects and the frontpanel. Can
    > I use them in Linux?

    I dont know for sure but google likely has the answer.

    --
    David
    Romance, like alcohol, should be enjoyed, but should not be allowed to

  5. Re: Newbie question...

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 02:05:53 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * Yvonne wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> Hi again and thanks for the quick answer :-)

    >> I have installed Linux once before, but not used it other then get it to
    >> work on the Internet. I guess it is rather simple since I have a router and
    >> just plug it in. I don't have to worry about deleting windows on this
    >> machine since I have some machines here with the "virus" Windows :-)

    >> I plan to restart the machine and install after I have fixed all I need for
    >> Fedora. I have 4 disks with Fedora. Do I need something more than that?

    > I dont use FC but that sounds right.

    >> don't know what program to use as an emailclient and for newsgroups.

    > mutt and slrn for console based and take your pick of email/news gui
    > depending on your needs.

    Try evolution or mozilla thunderbird for email
    evolution supports news aswell, but I use pan for that.

    >> I guess
    >> I can find it in Fedora, to begin with. I don't know how to install
    >> applications in Linux. I know that I did try it once before (rpm), but it
    >> didn't work for me, but it was a couple of years ago.

    > You should probably ask in a group specific to your distro.
    > Mandrake/driva has a pretty good installer called urpm which resolves
    > conflicts and downlads packages automatically.

    I belive it is called Red Carpet, or is that Ximian? Anyway
    there is always a tool that makes installing packages that are
    supplied with the distro very easily, and I think Fedora got it
    well documented.

    Gaute (The Great) Hope
    --
    For evig! For alltid!