Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also - Linux ; On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:42:08 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: >Glimpsing Nigeria's digital lifeline > >,----[ Quote ] >| But in March this year, the scruffy primary became part of a remarkable >| experiment. It was the first in Africa ...

  1. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    wrote:

    >Glimpsing Nigeria's digital lifeline
    >
    >,----[ Quote ]
    >| But in March this year, the scruffy primary became part of a remarkable
    >| experiment. It was the first in Africa to get its hands on the so-called $100
    >| laptop, a rugged device aimed at helping children in the developing world get
    >| the most from their education.
    >`----

    And here you can read about Nigerian children starving.

    http://www.stolenchildhood.net/entry...vation-unicef/

    Maybe they can sell the OLPC on eBay and buy some food?

  2. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:17:06 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:42:08 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Glimpsing Nigeria's digital lifeline
    >>
    >>,----[ Quote ]
    >>| But in March this year, the scruffy primary became part of a remarkable
    >>| experiment. It was the first in Africa to get its hands on the so-called $100
    >>| laptop, a rugged device aimed at helping children in the developing world get
    >>| the most from their education.
    >>`----

    > And here you can read about Nigerian children starving.
    >
    > http://www.stolenchildhood.net/entry...vation-unicef/
    >
    > Maybe they can sell the OLPC on eBay and buy some food?

    Go look at the BBC news website and get the *real* story on the OLPC and
    Nigerian school children. (Hint: even in Nigeria, not all people are
    starving).

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    Kier wrote:

    > Go look at the BBC news website and get the *real* story on the OLPC and
    > Nigerian school children. (Hint: even in Nigeria, not all people are
    > starving).

    I have a couple of dear friends from Ethiopia. They are repeatedly
    amazed by the number of Americans who think of Ethiopia only in terms
    of the starving people they see on TV.

    The truth is, most Ethiopians are not starving and never were. The
    problems of hunger in that country are more often logistical than
    resource based, and improving the education and thus the wealth of
    that nation can only help the situation in the long term. The
    same is true in Nigeria.

    Or do the critics of non-food based aid mean to suggest that
    absolutely no infrastructure improvements should take place as long
    as anyone is going hungry. Should we implement a communist style
    central authority to make sure everyone has an equal slice of the
    resources?

    You have to treat the root causes of poverty and hunger, not just
    the symptom.

    Thad

  4. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    ____/ thad05 on Thursday 29 November 2007 18:35 : \____

    > Kier wrote:
    >>
    >> Go look at the BBC news website and get the *real* story on the OLPC and
    >> Nigerian school children. (Hint: even in Nigeria, not all people are
    >> starving).

    > I have a couple of dear friends from Ethiopia. They are repeatedly
    > amazed by the number of Americans who think of Ethiopia only in terms
    > of the starving people they see on TV.
    >
    > The truth is, most Ethiopians are not starving and never were. The
    > problems of hunger in that country are more often logistical than
    > resource based, and improving the education and thus the wealth of
    > that nation can only help the situation in the long term. The
    > same is true in Nigeria.
    >
    > Or do the critics of non-food based aid mean to suggest that
    > absolutely no infrastructure improvements should take place as long
    > as anyone is going hungry. Should we implement a communist style
    > central authority to make sure everyone has an equal slice of the
    > resources?
    >
    > You have to treat the root causes of poverty and hunger, not just
    > the symptom.

    Exactly. The main barrier is some people's reluctance to share. Large
    companies, for example, are simply unwilling to share the wealth, not just
    with those 'at the bottom', but also with foreign countries. As I've stated
    before, that's among the reasons for terrorism.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=

  5. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:35:09 -0600, thad05 wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >>
    >> Go look at the BBC news website and get the *real* story on the OLPC and
    >> Nigerian school children. (Hint: even in Nigeria, not all people are
    >> starving).

    > I have a couple of dear friends from Ethiopia. They are repeatedly
    > amazed by the number of Americans who think of Ethiopia only in terms
    > of the starving people they see on TV.
    >
    > The truth is, most Ethiopians are not starving and never were. The
    > problems of hunger in that country are more often logistical than
    > resource based, and improving the education and thus the wealth of
    > that nation can only help the situation in the long term. The
    > same is true in Nigeria.
    >
    > Or do the critics of non-food based aid mean to suggest that
    > absolutely no infrastructure improvements should take place as long
    > as anyone is going hungry. Should we implement a communist style
    > central authority to make sure everyone has an equal slice of the
    > resources?
    >
    > You have to treat the root causes of poverty and hunger, not just
    > the symptom.

    Exactly. Well said.

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:38:10 +0000, Kier wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:35:09 -0600, thad05 wrote:
    >

    >> You have to treat the root causes of poverty and hunger, not just
    >> the symptom.
    >>

    >Exactly. Well said.

    Of course, but you have to prioritize.
    A strong army to defend.
    Tossing out the rebels and warlords.
    Providing food, medicine etc to keep the population alive.
    THEN start building the infrastructure for the future.

    In the scheme of things, the OLPC is last on the list.
    If it were not true, organizations like UNICEF would be out of
    business.

    BTW, I know not EVERYONE in Nigeria/Ethiopia/insert your favorite
    African country here/ is starving..
    Many of these countries however DO have major problems and the OLPC is
    the last thing they need.

    A good system of triage should be put into place first.

  7. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:47:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> You have to treat the root causes of poverty and hunger, not just
    >> the symptom.

    > Exactly. The main barrier is some people's reluctance to share. Large
    > companies, for example, are simply unwilling to share the wealth, not just
    > with those 'at the bottom', but also with foreign countries. As I've stated
    > before, that's among the reasons for terrorism.

    If you are are referring to terrorism by muslims, it's more religious than
    it is about wealth. The 9/11 hijackers were mostly well off people from
    Saudi Arabia. I suggest you read works by Robert Spencer as he dissects
    the religious roots of terrorism.

  8. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:57:28 -0800, alt wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:47:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>> You have to treat the root causes of poverty and hunger, not just
    >>> the symptom.

    >> Exactly. The main barrier is some people's reluctance to share. Large
    >> companies, for example, are simply unwilling to share the wealth, not just
    >> with those 'at the bottom', but also with foreign countries. As I've stated
    >> before, that's among the reasons for terrorism.

    >If you are are referring to terrorism by muslims, it's more religious than
    >it is about wealth. The 9/11 hijackers were mostly well off people from
    >Saudi Arabia. I suggest you read works by Robert Spencer as he dissects
    >the religious roots of terrorism.

    When would he have the time?
    His trolling hobby is 24x7.
    Robert Spencer is an excellent author BTW.

  9. Re: [News] A Look at OLPC laptops in Nigeria, Eee Impressed Also

    flatfish wrote:

    > the OLPC is the last thing they need.

    Where's the proof?

+ Reply to Thread