Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style. - Linux

This is a discussion on Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style. - Linux ; This group is getting boring, dull, lame. Most messages follow the same pattern: Roy says: Linux is great. The OLPC is doing wonderful. Microsoft is corrupt. Mark Kent replies to Roy: Yes Roy, Linux *is* great. The OLPC *is* doing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    This group is getting boring, dull, lame.

    Most messages follow the same pattern:

    Roy says: Linux is great. The OLPC is doing wonderful. Microsoft is
    corrupt.

    Mark Kent replies to Roy: Yes Roy, Linux *is* great. The OLPC *is*
    doing wonderful. Microsoft *is* corrupt.

    HPT or Homer replies to Mark Kent: You are correct Roy and Mark. Linux
    is great. The OLPC is wonderful. Microsoft is corrupt.

    Do you guys hold hands while you stroke each others,, ahem,,,egos?

  2. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > This group is getting boring, dull, lame.

    Sounds right up your alley, then.

  3. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:30:33 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >* flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.

    >Sounds right up your alley, then.

    Yet my posts get far more replies than anyone elses.
    Why is that?

  4. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    asstroturfer flatfish wrote on behalf of big corporation:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:30:33 -0500, Linonut
    > wrote:
    >
    >>* flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.

    >>Sounds right up your alley, then.

    > Yet my posts get far more replies than anyone elses.
    > Why is that?

    because you are spliffing and hallucinating at the same time?

  5. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    Who is this rosie and why would someone draw a ring around her?

  6. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:41:33 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:30:33 -0500, Linonut
    > wrote:
    >
    >>* flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.

    >>Sounds right up your alley, then.

    > Yet my posts get far more replies than anyone elses.
    > Why is that?

    Maybe you hadn't noticed, flatty, but very few of those replies are
    favourable to you. It just goes to show how UNPOPULAR you are.

    --
    Kier

  7. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    On Friday 30 Nov 2007 2:30 am, Linonut wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > * flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.

    > Sounds right up your alley, then.

    If fartface is bored, why doesn't he bugger off. He won't be missed.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  8. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    flatfish wrote:

    > This group is getting boring, dull, lame.
    >
    > Most messages follow the same pattern:
    >
    > Roy says: Linux is great.

    http://www.linuxlinks.com/local/why.shtml

    Here are 10 reasons why Linux could be the best operating system for you:

    * A Linux Distribution has thousands of dollars worth of software for
    no cost (or a couple of dollars if purchased on CD)

    * Linux is a complete operating system that is:

    * stable - the crash of an application is much less likely to bring
    down the operating system under Linux

    * reliable - Linux servers are often up for hundreds of days compared
    with the regular reboots required with a Windows system

    * extremely powerful

    * Comes with a complete development environment, including C, C++,
    Fortran compilers, toolkits such as Qt and scripting languages such as
    Perl, Awk and sed. A C compiler for Windows alone would set you back
    hundreds of dollars.

    * Excellent networking facilities: allowing you to share CPUs, share
    modems etc; all of which are not included or available with Windows 95.

    * The ideal environment to run servers such as a web server (e.g.
    Apache), or an FTP server.

    * A wide variety of commercial software is available if your needs
    aren't satisifed by the free software.

    * An operating system that is easily upgradeable. After any length of
    time a typical installation of Windows and software gets into a
    complete mess. Often the only way to clear out all the debris is to
    reformat the hard disk and start again. Linux, however, is much better
    for maintaining the system.

    * Supports multiple processors as standard.

    * True multi-tasking; the ability to run more than one program at the
    same time.

    * An excellent window system called X; the equivalent of Windows but
    much more flexible.

    > The OLPC is doing wonderful.

    http://www.olpctalks.com/walter_bend...en_source.html

    What is remarkable now and what I now find myself concentrating on is the
    software, which is evolving very, very quickly. One of the things One
    Laptop Per Child has chosen to do, which has been quite controversial, is
    to develop, really their own system. It’s running Linux. It’s running
    basically Red Hat Linux. But it looks very, very different from anything
    anyone has ever seen before because this Sugar Desktop environment is
    really very, very different. I would say, had you asked me the question
    two months ago, I would have told you that it was a terrible idea. Now I
    am starting to discover that it is pretty intuitive and pretty
    revolutionary and that is quite exciting.

    Christopher: Walter, why did you choose not to go the Microsoft way? Or
    the closed source proprietary software?

    Walter: Well, just like you, we believe in open source. There are two
    different issues. One of them is we are designing laptops for children for
    learning, not for office workers. So we really have a very different set
    of motivations and goals. And the other is more of an epistemological
    reason, in that, with the transparency and the access that open source
    gives you, we think is really important to learning. We want the children
    to be able to reach inside the machine. We want the teachers to be able to
    reach inside the machine; and touch it, and transform it, and explore it
    as deeply as they want to. And a closed system does not allow that.

    Christopher: Spell that out. You are not training office workers, you say.
    You are not training kids for the computer industry. You are training them
    how to think.

    Walter: Well we are interested in kids learning and being productive
    members of all aspects of society. So that has nothing to do with word
    processing or spreadsheets. It’s got to do with becoming literate and
    understanding things like scientific method. Really understanding how to
    explore, challenge, critique, discuss the world around them.

    > Microsoft is corrupt.

    Following describes Microsoft's anticompetitive acts to inhibit
    competition by preventing others from successfully integrating their
    products with Windows:

    http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_tu...c-00029523.htm

    As recognized in the CIS and D.C. Circuit Court opinion, Microsoft has
    prevented competitors from offering meaningful Middleware alternatives in
    three main ways: (1) Microsoft has taken advantage of the fluidity of
    software to continually reconfigure its products in ways that make it
    difficult or impossible for even superior middleware offerings of
    competitors to remain viable; (2) Microsoft has refused to disclose
    interface information that would enable competitors to offer middleware
    products that operate effectively; and (3) Microsoft has engaged in
    coercive sales and marketing tactics that force distributors and consumers
    to favor even inferior Microsoft products over those of competitors. See
    CIS, 66 Fed. Reg. at 59,461.

    Microsoft's refusal to disclose meaningful and timely interface
    information has been especially damaging to competitors, like Novell, who
    have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to develop superior
    alternatives to Microsoft products in the increasingly rare instances in
    which they have been able to obtain, or ascertain on their own, the
    critical interface information that allows for the effective
    interoperation of their middleware with Microsoft operating systems. As a
    result, the public is denied the benefits of innovation and the
    opportunity to choose among competing alternatives.

    The CIS recognizes that meaningful disclosure of interface information by
    Microsoft is essential to effective relief. The CIS explains: "[T]he
    effect of Section III.D [of the RPFJ] is to assure to Non-Microsoft
    Middleware meaningful access to the same services provided by the
    operating system as those available to Microsoft Middleware. Microsoft
    Middleware will not have access to any hidden or proprietary features of
    Windows Operating System Products that might allow it to operate more
    effectively." Id. at 59,468. Unfortunately, the RPFJ again fails to
    deliver on DoJ's purported goal.
    Here, we see instances of Microsoft moving the goal posts, to achieve
    monopolization:

    In contrast to the RPFJ, a meaningful remedy must account for the fact
    that Microsoft manipulates interface information in a variety of ways to
    preclude competition. Although too numerous to recount, Microsoft's
    tactics include:

    * "Secret Interfaces" - Microsoft does not publish all the
    interfaces it uses and does not publish all the interface information that
    others need to develop products that interoperate with Microsoft software.

    * "Crippled Interfaces" - For some functions, Microsoft publishes
    information about an interface that is inferior to the interface that
    Microsoft itself uses to accomplish a function, or publishes incomplete
    information about an interface.

    * "Kick Me Interfaces" - Sometimes, Microsoft publishes information
    about an interface that Microsoft uses to perform a function, but it
    "marks" non-Microsoft software in a way that assures the interface will
    operate in an inferior way. Microsoft can "mark" competitors software
    through tagging, signing, encrypted passwords, or by noting the absence of
    such features.

    * "Moving Interfaces" - If, by some means, a third party has been
    able to obtain adequate interface information that Microsoft doesn't want
    it to have, Microsoft will simply move the interface. For example, Novell
    successfully figured out how to enable its directory services software to
    interoperate with Windows NT. To counter Novell's success, in Windows 2000
    Microsoft broke up and moved the computer files containing the interface
    information used by Novell and marked, or signed, information required for
    the interfaces so that Novell could neither use Microsoft's interface
    information nor replace it.

    The typical result of such tactics is that Microsoft makes competing
    products appear inferior to Microsoft's products. Microsoft's actions may
    make a competing product appear slower, require more memory, or perform
    with limited functionality. These tactics also enable Microsoft to
    persuade customers to buy Microsoft's inferior and/or more expensive
    products simply to avoid Microsoft's roadblocks.(15)

    > Mark Kent replies to Roy: Yes Roy, Linux *is* great. The OLPC *is*
    > doing wonderful. Microsoft *is* corrupt. HPT or Homer replies to Mark
    > Kent: You are correct Roy and Mark. Linux is great. The OLPC is
    > wonderful. Microsoft is corrupt.

    > Do you guys hold hands while you stroke each others,, ahem,,,egos?

    [quotes]
    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    16. Turn a question asked of you back on your opponent. Better yet, turn
    the questions back on the Linux Advocate with a question like: "What do
    you think is the `right' answer, lamer?" You have now taken the heat off
    of your ignorance and you have cast doubt on the credibility of your
    opponent.
    [/quote]

    --
    HPT

  9. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:30:33 -0500, Linonut
    > wrote:
    >
    >>* flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.

    >>Sounds right up your alley, then.

    > Yet my posts get far more replies than anyone elses.
    > Why is that?

    1. You only /think/ you get more replies.

    2. You troll. That is, you make provocative statements that many just
    can't let stand, even if they are absurd bull****.

    --
    But you knew that.

  10. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    On 2007-11-30, Kier claimed:

    > Maybe you hadn't noticed, flatty, but very few of those replies are
    > favourable to you. It just goes to show how UNPOPULAR you are.

    Still, it's pennies per post. They add up.

    --
    What the hell didn't happen here?

  11. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:38:39 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2007-11-30, Kier claimed:
    >
    >> Maybe you hadn't noticed, flatty, but very few of those replies are
    >> favourable to you. It just goes to show how UNPOPULAR you are.

    > Still, it's pennies per post. They add up.

    ??? *If* he were being paid to post, he'd be the one filling the group
    with hundreds of posts, not Roy. You're surely not suggesting he gets
    paid for the *replies*.

    Personally, I don't believe in this 'paid to post' nonsense. Trolls in
    other groups aren't paid to post, yet that doesn't stop them filling
    their chosen groups with tripe day after day. Why should flatty be any
    different?

    --
    Kier

  12. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    flatfish writes:

    > This group is getting boring, dull, lame.
    >
    > Most messages follow the same pattern:
    >
    > Roy says: Linux is great. The OLPC is doing wonderful. Microsoft is
    > corrupt.
    >
    > Mark Kent replies to Roy: Yes Roy, Linux *is* great. The OLPC *is*
    > doing wonderful. Microsoft *is* corrupt.
    >
    > HPT or Homer replies to Mark Kent: You are correct Roy and Mark. Linux
    > is great. The OLPC is wonderful. Microsoft is corrupt.

    > Do you guys hold hands while you stroke each others,, ahem,,,egos?

    In fairness Peter Koehlmann does call Mark Kent a "vile liar" a few
    times. That makes my day. But not as much as when they all slap Kier
    around and then pick him, wipe away his tears, give him a biscuit and
    then slap him down again for the whole sorry circle to
    repeat. COLA. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

  13. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.
    >>
    >> Most messages follow the same pattern:
    >>
    >> Roy says: Linux is great.

    > http://www.linuxlinks.com/local/why.shtml

    Zzzzzzz ............

  14. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    wrote:

    >On 2007-11-30, Kier claimed:
    >
    >> Maybe you hadn't noticed, flatty, but very few of those replies are
    >> favourable to you. It just goes to show how UNPOPULAR you are.

    >Still, it's pennies per post. They add up.

    Is that you Roy Schestowitz?

  15. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:26:12 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > In fairness Peter Koehlmann does call Mark Kent a "vile liar" a few
    > times. That makes my day. But not as much as when they all slap Kier
    > around and then pick him, wipe away his tears, give him a biscuit and
    > then slap him down again for the whole sorry circle to
    > repeat. COLA. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

    Except that *YOU* are the one making thiings up, you liar.

    --
    Kier

  16. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    wrote:

    >flatfish writes:
    >
    >> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.
    >>
    >> Most messages follow the same pattern:
    >>
    >> Roy says: Linux is great. The OLPC is doing wonderful. Microsoft is
    >> corrupt.
    >>
    >> Mark Kent replies to Roy: Yes Roy, Linux *is* great. The OLPC *is*
    >> doing wonderful. Microsoft *is* corrupt.
    >>
    >> HPT or Homer replies to Mark Kent: You are correct Roy and Mark. Linux
    >> is great. The OLPC is wonderful. Microsoft is corrupt.

    >> Do you guys hold hands while you stroke each others,, ahem,,,egos?

    >In fairness Peter Koehlmann does call Mark Kent a "vile liar" a few
    >times. That makes my day. But not as much as when they all slap Kier
    >around and then pick him, wipe away his tears, give him a biscuit and
    >then slap him down again for the whole sorry circle to
    >repeat. COLA. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

    That's because Peter Kohlmann is smarter than the entire lot of them.
    The only problem Kier has is defending them when they in effect are
    making fun of him.
    The only reason they tolerate Kier is because they need every Linux
    advocate they can get and Kier is better than nothing even though he
    doesn't follow the Linux Bible like they do.

  17. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:54:38 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:26:12 +0100, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >>flatfish writes:
    >>
    >>> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.
    >>>
    >>> Most messages follow the same pattern:
    >>>
    >>> Roy says: Linux is great. The OLPC is doing wonderful. Microsoft is
    >>> corrupt.
    >>>
    >>> Mark Kent replies to Roy: Yes Roy, Linux *is* great. The OLPC *is*
    >>> doing wonderful. Microsoft *is* corrupt.
    >>>
    >>> HPT or Homer replies to Mark Kent: You are correct Roy and Mark. Linux
    >>> is great. The OLPC is wonderful. Microsoft is corrupt.

    >>> Do you guys hold hands while you stroke each others,, ahem,,,egos?

    >>In fairness Peter Koehlmann does call Mark Kent a "vile liar" a few
    >>times. That makes my day. But not as much as when they all slap Kier
    >>around and then pick him, wipe away his tears, give him a biscuit and
    >>then slap him down again for the whole sorry circle to
    >>repeat. COLA. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

    > That's because Peter Kohlmann is smarter than the entire lot of them.
    > The only problem Kier has is defending them when they in effect are
    > making fun of him.

    I'm not defending them, dweeb, I'm attacking *you* for using filthy
    innuendo without the remotest justification.

    > The only reason they tolerate Kier is because they need every Linux
    > advocate they can get and Kier is better than nothing even though he
    > doesn't follow the Linux Bible like they do.

    I have no interest in belonging to any mythical gang, flatty.

    --
    Kier

  18. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    >Hadron puked:
    >>
    >> Honestly you couldn't make it up.

    Right. You dishonestly made it up. You asshole.

  19. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >> flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >>> This group is getting boring, dull, lame.
    >>>
    >>> Most messages follow the same pattern:
    >>>
    >>> Roy says: Linux is great.

    >> http://www.linuxlinks.com/local/why.shtml

    > Zzzzzzz ............

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    20. Narrow the scope of threads so that you can handle it. Narrow
    the scope of the issues that are being addressed in a thread to
    details you feel that you can refute, ridicule, or dismiss
    leaving the main issues unaddressed.
    This is another "true linux advocacy post" from the "true linux
    advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile expert", "X
    specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "defragger
    professional", "newsreader magician", "hardware maven" and "time
    coordinator" Hadron Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Richard, aka
    Damian O'Leary.

    --
    HPT

  20. Re: Ring Around The Rosie. COLA Style.

    "chrisv" schreef in bericht
    > >Hadron puked:
    >>>
    >>> Honestly you couldn't make it up.

    > Right. You dishonestly made it up. You asshole.

    You have a special interest in arses! huh!
    Why do you fancy Kiers asshole?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast