From the birthplace of free, open software - Linux

This is a discussion on From the birthplace of free, open software - Linux ; "CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is taking on the issue of inadequate education for youth by extending its OpenCourseWare (OCW) program to include secondary level students." http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9825103-7.html -RFH...

  1. From the birthplace of free, open software

    "CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is taking
    on the issue of inadequate education for youth by extending its
    OpenCourseWare (OCW) program to include secondary level students."

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9825103-7.html

    -RFH

  2. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:39:52 -0800 (PST), Ramon F Herrera
    wrote:

    >"CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is taking
    >on the issue of inadequate education for youth by extending its
    >OpenCourseWare (OCW) program to include secondary level students."
    >
    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9825103-7.html
    >
    >-RFH

    You mean Ubuntu isn't the birthplace of Linux?
    FWIW Many people think it IS.

  3. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:31:50 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:39:52 -0800 (PST), Ramon F Herrera
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is taking
    >>on the issue of inadequate education for youth by extending its
    >>OpenCourseWare (OCW) program to include secondary level students."
    >>
    >> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9825103-7.html
    >>
    >>-RFH

    > You mean Ubuntu isn't the birthplace of Linux?

    The birthplace of Linux was Linus Torvalds' bedroom.

    > FWIW Many people think it IS.

    So what?

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    Kier wrote:

    >flat**** wrote:
    >>
    >> You mean Ubuntu isn't the birthplace of Linux?

    >The birthplace of Linux was Linus Torvalds' bedroom.

    The birthplace of flat**** was the bus station bathroom.

  5. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:48:31 -0600, chrisv
    wrote:

    >Kier wrote:
    >
    >>flat**** wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You mean Ubuntu isn't the birthplace of Linux?

    >>The birthplace of Linux was Linus Torvalds' bedroom.

    >The birthplace of flat**** was the bus station bathroom.

    Was that you with your hand under the stall?
    I thought it was Senator Larry Craig?

  6. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:39:52 -0800 (PST), Ramon F Herrera
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is taking
    >>on the issue of inadequate education for youth by extending its
    >>OpenCourseWare (OCW) program to include secondary level students."
    >>
    >> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9825103-7.html

    > You mean Ubuntu isn't the birthplace of Linux?
    > FWIW Many people think it IS.

    Well, let's all sing a paean to ignorance, then.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    On Thursday 29 Nov 2007 5:48 pm, chrisv wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >>flat**** wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You mean Ubuntu isn't the birthplace of Linux?

    >>The birthplace of Linux was Linus Torvalds' bedroom.

    > The birthplace of flat**** was the bus station bathroom.

    The toilet bowl, to be precise.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  8. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    William Poaster wrote:

    >chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>>The birthplace of Linux was Linus Torvalds' bedroom.

    >> The birthplace of flat**** was the bus station bathroom.

    >The toilet bowl, to be precise.

    And it was all downhill from there.

  9. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    chrisv writes:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >>flat**** wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You mean Ubuntu isn't the birthplace of Linux?

    >>The birthplace of Linux was Linus Torvalds' bedroom.

    > The birthplace of flat**** was the bus station bathroom.

    What happened to the "oo, oo stop insulting people and being rude"
    character Kier? It seems you too have been assimilated into the schizo
    brigade here in COLA.

    --
    You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.
    -- Peter Frampton

  10. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:44:42 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > chrisv writes:
    >
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>>The birthplace of Linux was Linus Torvalds' bedroom.

    >> The birthplace of flat**** was the bus station bathroom.
    >>

    > What happened to the "oo, oo stop insulting people and being rude"
    > character Kier? It seems you too have been assimilated into the schizo
    > brigade here in COLA.

    Maybe I just decided it wasn't worth the effort any more. And considering
    I am not chrisv, why are you talking about me in this post?

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: From the birthplace of free, open software

    You know the system is fubared, when politics dictates to science.

+ Reply to Thread