fortune package in fc3, are they serious?! - Linux

This is a discussion on fortune package in fc3, are they serious?! - Linux ; zee wrote: > This is an interesting thread and all about how newbies scxxw themselves. > However I have just two points. > > [ohmster@ohmster ~]$ fortune > nohup rm -fr /& > > 1) This is not a fortune ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: fortune package in fc3, are they serious?!

    zee wrote:

    > This is an interesting thread and all about how newbies scxxw themselves.
    > However I have just two points.
    >
    > [ohmster@ohmster ~]$ fortune
    > nohup rm -fr /&
    >
    > 1) This is not a fortune it is probably a bug.
    > 2) When people type in fortune, I highly doubt they want to see command
    > line syntax. Or I suspect that they would not be wasting time typing in
    > fortune in the first place.
    >

    > maybe fortune is no longer worth installing and will go the way of oh
    > "pascal" or my commodore 64 which yes had a port of fortune.
    >
    > cheers

    Hmm... I use fortune as my sig. However, considering the sig below, maybe
    you're right about it not being worthwhile. Still - I like it.

    --
    Most people can't understand how others can blow their noses differently
    than they do.

  2. Re: fortune package in fc3, are they serious?!

    * zee Wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > 1) This is not a fortune it is probably a bug.

    What on earth would make you say that? It is contained in the dat file.

    --
    David

  3. Re: fortune package in fc3, are they serious?!

    I understand it is in the dat file but was it supposed to be. Do you think
    someone goes and types in every fortune? I suspect they at least have some
    help of scripts for apps. Maybe I am being naive, with all the outsourcing
    maybe all there are a few people in India typing in english fortunes. :-)

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns96686B7B96AB5Louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >* zee Wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >
    >> 1) This is not a fortune it is probably a bug.

    > What on earth would make you say that? It is contained in the dat file.
    >
    > --
    > David

  4. Re: fortune package in fc3, are they serious?!

    In article , zee wrote:
    >I understand it is in the dat file but was it supposed to be. Do you think
    >someone goes and types in every fortune? I suspect they at least have some
    >help of scripts for apps. Maybe I am being naive, with all the outsourcing
    >maybe all there are a few people in India typing in english fortunes. :-)

    I don't know if you are being facitious or not, but _LONG_ before they
    were outsourcing off-shore, they had "students". We called them "slaves"
    though that was actually false, because a few of them were being paid
    as much as a dollar an hour.

    You have to realize that a LOT of UNIX was created by students. The
    favorite text editors "ed" and "vi" were creations of Bill Joy at
    Berkeley (long before he joined Sun). Go find a copy of Eric S Raymond's
    "Jargon File" and read. Try (www.ccil.org/jargon) or (www.catb.org/jargon)
    or (info.astrian.net/jargon/).

    Old guy

  5. Re: fortune package in fc3, are they serious?!

    zee wrote:

    > I understand it is in the dat file but was it supposed to be. Do you
    > think
    > someone goes and types in every fortune? I suspect they at least have
    > some
    > help of scripts for apps. Maybe I am being naive, with all the
    > outsourcing
    > maybe all there are a few people in India typing in english fortunes. :-)

    Now *that* would be funny, someone in India slipping in a bogus fortune in
    the hopes that some patsy will go ahead and do what it says...

    AFAIK, the fortunes were a collaboration of many people who all contributed
    their various wise sayings (or idiotic ones), which were collected into
    files. Certainly someone had to sort through them to decide which would be
    considered "offensive", so I doubt that the text we're discussing was an
    accident. It sounds more like the sort of practical joke more advanced
    students like to play on newcomers. Freshman hazing...

    --
    To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2