Programs - Linux

This is a discussion on Programs - Linux ; Hi there, please excuse a newbie if this is th wrong group. I was hoping someone could help me. I am hooked on Linux, have it installed on my spare computer, but I wanna switch "for real", so I need ...

  1. Programs

    Hi there, please excuse a newbie if this is th wrong group.

    I was hoping someone could help me. I am hooked on Linux, have it installed
    on my spare computer, but I wanna switch "for real", so I need to know if
    there are programs for some specifik tasks I do- and believe me, I tried
    finding out myself before asking here.

    It regards a binary newsreader (for downloading movies/music, preferably one
    with NZB support), a decompression utility (to unpack the RAR files with), a
    program that will aid in recreating corrupt downloads which are plenty
    (Windows software is QuickPAR), a burner program that will handle VOB files
    as well as IMG, MDF, ISO and the rest of the movie/file formats. Finally an
    equivalent to the marvellous VLC media player, that allowes me to chech the
    ISO et al files before burning withut unpacking them.

    It is my impression that Linux people usually are nice to newbies and I hope
    someone can find pity on me ;=)

    Thanks and have a nice weekend.

    Benn, Denmark
    johndue2004@hotmail.com

  2. Re: Programs

    http://klibido.sourceforge.net/

    > a decompression utility (to unpack the RAR files with),

    ark will open rar as long as you have unrar in your path. Non issue.

    http://parchive.sourceforge.net/

    > a burner program that will handle VOB files
    > as well as IMG, MDF, ISO and the rest of the movie/file formats.

    K3B in KDE should handle most of these I believe.

    > Finally an
    > equivalent to the marvellous VLC media player, that allowes me to chech the
    > ISO et al files before burning withut unpacking them.

    VLC is cross platform

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    There are likely other programs that will also handle your requests,
    above was some quick trial and error and a search of freshmeat.
    --
    David
    If the user points the gun at his foot and pulls the trigger, it

  3. Re: Programs

    David, you just confirmed my belief in the fact that Linux people ARE nicer
    ;=) Thanks a lot for your help, I am now ready to go Penguin. Now I just
    need to find the right distro, bt that is another matter. I have Mandrake,
    and I think I will give it a try. Again, thanks for helping me out here. I
    appreceate it.

    Have a nice day, all.....

    Benny

  4. Re: Programs

    And if you want them for GNOME:

    pan: http://pan.rebelbase.com/

    >> a decompression utility (to unpack the RAR files with),

    > ark will open rar as long as you have unrar in your path. Non issue.

    file-roller: (as long as you have unrar):
    http://fileroller.sourceforge.net/

    >> program that will aid in recreating corrupt downloads which are plenty
    >> (Windows software is QuickPAR),

    > http://parchive.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >> a burner program that will handle VOB files as well as IMG, MDF, ISO
    >> and the rest of the movie/file formats.

    > K3B in KDE should handle most of these I believe.

    k3b is the best!

  5. Re: Programs

    * Gaute Hope Wrote in comp.os.linux:

    > And if you want them for GNOME:
    >
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:03:23 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Me wrote in comp.os.linux:
    >>> Hi there, please excuse a newbie if this is th wrong group.

    >>> I was hoping someone could help me. I am hooked on Linux, have
    >>> it installed on my spare computer, but I wanna switch "for
    >>> real", so I need to know if there are programs for some specifik
    >>> tasks I do- and believe me, I tried finding out myself before
    >>> asking here.

    >>> It regards a binary newsreader (for downloading movies/music,
    >>> preferably one with NZB support),

    >> http://klibido.sourceforge.net/

    > pan: http://pan.rebelbase.com/

    No NZB which was a requirement for the OP.

    --
    David

+ Reply to Thread