Re: [News] Ugly Corporate Greed Attacks OLPC, Again - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Ugly Corporate Greed Attacks OLPC, Again - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > Nigerian Patent Infringement Lawsuit: Scam or Shame? It's a scam designed to fleece publicity on the back of the OLPC, that's all. There is absolutely zero substance to this. ...

  1. Re: [News] Ugly Corporate Greed Attacks OLPC, Again

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
    07:55:51 up 17 days, 4:49, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.64, 0.54

  2. Re: [News] Ugly Corporate Greed Attacks OLPC, Again

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:57:30 +0000, "[H]omer" wrote:

    >Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    >
    >> Nigerian Patent Infringement Lawsuit: Scam or Shame?

    >It's a scam designed to fleece publicity on the back of the OLPC, that's
    >all. There is absolutely zero substance to this.

    Are you kidding?
    All you have to do is look at/use one of those boat anchors and you'll
    see what's really going on.

  3. Re: [News] Ugly Corporate Greed Attacks OLPC, Again

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kier

    wrote
    on Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:31:26 +0000
    :
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:20:54 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:57:30 +0000, "[H]omer" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

    >>>It's a scam designed to fleece publicity on the back of the OLPC, that's
    >>>all. There is absolutely zero substance to this.

    >> Are you kidding?
    >> All you have to do is look at/use one of those boat anchors and you'll
    >> see what's really going on.

    > You're still showing your utter ignorance, aren't you? The OLPC is
    > designed to be used in places without a reliable supply of electricity,
    > and where ruggedness is desirable. You clearly have no idea how popular
    > the wind-up radio is in places such as there, and this laptop works on
    > similar principles. No hard drive to be damaged, a screen which can be
    > used in bright light, several ways to power it (crank, pull-string, etc),
    > an OS created for children to experiment with.
    >
    > What a foul creature you are to sneer at such a thing.

    I'll admit to some curiosity here as to how this compares to a
    Classmate.

    The former is detailed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO-1 ,
    among other places.

    The latter has a specs page at

    http://www.classmatepc.com/classmate...-hardware.html

    which compares somewhat well with the OLPC's, but has some
    interesting problems as well; the Classmate's only clear
    advantages are in size, weight and amount of storage,
    and none all that much. The OLPC's clear strong point is
    in battery life; the camera is a nice if very cheap extra
    (6 megapix cams are routine in the mobile world). I'd
    prefer an RJ45 jack were I in the market for one (I've already
    got an NX9010 with a dud battery, admittedly).

    OLPC Classmate
    242mm x 228mm x 32mm 245mm x 196mm x 44mm

    1.45kg or 1.58kg, 1.3 kg
    depending on battery

    2W power consumption Unknown

    8-13 hours battery life 2-4 hours battery life

    300 kPixel camera No camera
    (640x480, 30 FPS)

    No DRM Built in DRM

    Built in WiFi Built in WiFi

    No "RJ-45" jack Built in Ethernet "RJ-45"

    MMC/SD card slot ?

    ? Wireless digital pen

    Fedora Windows XP Pro or Linux

    AMD Geode LX-700 (0.8W) Intel Mobile 900 MHz/400 FSB (?? Watt)

    256 MB DDR-266 RAM 256 MB DDR-II RAM

    800x600 or 1200x900, 800x480 LVDS LED BL
    depending on mode

    7" (177.8mm) diag 152.4mm x 114.3mm

    1GB NAND Flash 1GB/2GB NAND Flash

    Stereo Audio, Mic, Stereo Audio, Mic,
    Line input, Line Out Line input, Line Out

    ~ $200 less than $400

    http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/i...ntel_joke.html

    has some further details, among them durability, battery
    toxicity, and water resistance. In particular the OLPC
    can be dropped from a 5 foot height without damage, though
    it is unclear as to whether this is on concrete, dirt,
    or shrubbery. (I'd guess concrete; if so, that is very
    nice from a durability standpoint.)

    All in all, the OLPC appears to be a good if very cheap,
    relatively low-powered laptop (in both senses of the word,
    but it should be more than enough to type in a letter
    to the editor), and the Classmate has some work to do to
    catch up. It is not clear how well the OLPC compares to
    some phones, and the OLPC does not have a built-in air
    card or SIM.

    Other laptops such as the Eee, the Linutop, the Longmeng, and
    the Tianhua are mentioned in the Wikipedia entry.

    This could get interesting, depending on what add-ons
    (such as air card/SIM holder) get present to the OLPC --
    and what Intel decides to do in this space, especially if
    they abandon Microsoft and drop their prices by $50 or so
    (still not enough to catch up!) or they go on a world-wide
    advertising binge to tout the advantages of a Classmate
    (the answer: there really aren't any, but remember that the
    Amiga had promise too, before Commodore futzed it all up).

    Welcome to the New World Order -- and this time, at least,
    the good guys aren't losing. :-) But it's a long war.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file