[News] Rebuttal to 'Wal-Mart Steals Linux from the the Community' - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Rebuttal to 'Wal-Mart Steals Linux from the the Community' - Linux ; the WalMart gOS vs. the community? Nah. ,----[ Quote ] | Isn't the whole point of Free software to make it your own? No one owns the | software, no one can stop you, or others, from customizing it. That ...

  1. [News] Rebuttal to 'Wal-Mart Steals Linux from the the Community'

    the WalMart gOS vs. the community? Nah.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Isn't the whole point of Free software to make it your own? No one owns the
    | software, no one can stop you, or others, from customizing it. That is one of
    | the Four Rights under the GPL, and you, Helios, want to take that away from a
    | commercial company for putting their foot forward with some new concepts? A
    | concept (shelves), by the way, I thought was a part of E17 already (since at
    | least March 2007), and appear on the next release of Elive itself?
    `----

    http://gnuski.blogspot.com/2007/11/w...community.html

    Ken's writings are brilliant, but he took it out on Wal-Mart (as predatory as
    they are).

    Given the Microsoft/Novell/Wal-Mart relationship (executives and links) and
    even the recent SUSE coupons agreement, it's just good that they don't sell
    SUSE PCs (with MS tax).

    Related:

    There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Holiday shopping season is about to hit full swing, and personal computers
    | already rank high on many people's wish lists. If you're going to give the
    | gift of a new PC, should you consider giving one with Linux? If the receiver
    | is a tech-savvy individual, it may be the perfect gift, and the growing
    | availability of preloaded machines means setup headaches are easily avoided. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Th...ays-60397.html

    Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The gPC is one of the first Linux-based desktop machines to be offered for
    | sale by a major retailer. ¬*
    `----

    gPC - $199 C7 powered PC at Wal-Mart running gOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now gOS the OS powering the gPC is a unique OS. While I said it is a
    | customized version of Ubuntu, the word 'customized' is an understatement. gOS
    | highlights and encourages users to use web applications instead of the
    | traditional software for their day to day computing tasks. ¬*
    `----

    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/1...-wal-mart.html

    gOS Unboxed: Should Microsoft Worry? ¬*

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's rivalry with Google heated up considerably this past year when
    | rumors surfaced that Google might release its own operating system to compete
    | with Windows. Has Google finally jumped into the fray with its own OS? ¬*
    `----

    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2219310,00.asp

    A short look at gOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So after downloading the gOS Live ISO onto my Debian Etch system I started
    | Innotek’s VirtualBox, bound the freshly downloaded ISO as a CD-ROM, made a
    | 4GB virtual hard disk image for installing it, gave that virtual computer
    | 256MB of RAM, and started... ¬*
    `----

    http://blog.thedebianuser.org/?p=255

    Gosh, gOS is good

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I really liked gOS. It's a cute little system with lots of functionality and
    | great looks. It works well and is fast and stable on my laptop. It should
    | work on any computer that any other Linux supports. Enlightenment is an
    | impressive desktop environment, and the iBar is a low-overhead way to blend
    | cool effects with needed functionality. I think users will like it. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

    ReviewLinux.Com: gOS is worth looking into....

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everybody is going Green. I take a quick look at the new kid on the block.
    | gOS 1.0.1 was released earlier this month and I take a short screenshot tour
    | of this "Green" Linux OS. Check out the short flash video too. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=8247

    gOS-live 1.0 386

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Based on Ubuntu 7.10 Linux system with an Enlightenment E17 interface, the
    | PC's productivity will be almost solely derived from Google applications
    | accessed through Firefox: Mail, Calendar, News, Maps and Documents &
    | Spreadsheets. It also comes with OpenOffice.org 2.2 and some other freeware
    | Linux favorates. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=4822

  2. Re: [News] Rebuttal to 'Wal-Mart Steals Linux from the the Community'

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:44:12 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >the WalMart gOS vs. the community? Nah.

    You Linux zealots are a hoot.
    You byte the hand that feeds you.
    It's your way or the highway.

    If I were you, and thank goodness I am not, I would be thankful for
    every single Linux sale, no matter whom is selling it.

    So when does the BoycottWalmart site go up Roy?
    You can add it to your collection!

+ Reply to Thread