[News] Debian-based Internet Tablet Compared to Xandros Linux Laptop - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Debian-based Internet Tablet Compared to Xandros Linux Laptop - Linux ; Asus Eee 701 vs. Nokia N810 - Linux Fight! ,----[ Quote ] | As for myself, I'm sticking with the N810 as my favorite "secondary" | (non-phone) device. It fits my life much better than the Eee does. However, I ...

  1. [News] Debian-based Internet Tablet Compared to Xandros Linux Laptop

    Asus Eee 701 vs. Nokia N810 - Linux Fight!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As for myself, I'm sticking with the N810 as my favorite "secondary"
    | (non-phone) device. It fits my life much better than the Eee does. However, I
    | am not one to turn away from a well-designed ultraportable. I'm going to have
    | a good deal of fun with the Eee and enjoy it as my secondary home computer,
    | but the N810 will get a lot more use out of the home.
    `----

    http://www.ultramobilegeek.com/2007/...nux-fight.html

    Where are the Vista-based palm-sized tablets which cost $300 and have over
    30,000 applications?

    Related:

    Nokia N810: unboxing and first impressions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My shiny new Nokia N810 Internet Tablet was delivered yesterday. After
    | fondling it for most of the day, I'm relatively impressed. The N810 is a bit
    | smaller than the N800, which makes it more comfortable to use and easier to *
    | tote around in a pocket. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...pressions.html
    http://tinyurl.com/238k6u

    Laptops lookout - New Nokia N810 Internet Tablet hits store shelves

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nokia announced today that the new Nokia N810 Internet Tablet has begun
    | shipping nationwide in the United States. *With a new slide-out keyboard,
    | built-in GPS, digital audio/video playback and Wi-Fi capability for VoIP
    | calling, the Nokia N810 provides the functionality of a traditional computer
    | but all in one sleek, stylish and portable device. * *
    `----

    http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1169511

    Linux Internet tablets gain WiFi login agent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Boingo Wireless Inc. has announced a free WiFi software agent for Nokia's
    | Linux-based Internet tablets. The quick-connect agent is said to streamline
    | logins at some 100,000-plus Boingo Mobile hotspots, for users of Nokia's N810
    | or N800 running Tablet OS 2008. *
    `----

    Linux alternative to iPhone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since the N800 is open source, there are many third party applications which
    | extend its usefulness and fun factor, such as:
    |
    | Pidgin - full-featured internet messaging client, with AIM, MSN, Yahoo and
    | Jabber support
    | Canola - media player with network streaming
    | FBReader - e-book reader
    | Claws Mail - full-featured email client
    | Obscura Photo Manager
    `----

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/09...ive-to-iphone/

    Asus Eee PC doing well

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It appears that this holiday season the gPC is not the only mainstream Linux
    | PC to get a lot of attention. The Asus Eee PC, a $400 laptop that runs a
    | basic version of Linux, is sold out at Amazon and Best Buy, where it has
    | received a 4.5/5 user rating at both places. * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2007/1...pc-doing-well/

    The Asus Eee Laptop Series Selling Off the Shelves World Wide

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The sturdy and light weight Asus Eee has captured the hearts and minds of US
    | consumers, students and educators. The Eee series has all the features of its
    | competitors, but its affordable price is turning heads. The Eee units are
    | literally selling off the shelves world-wide. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The popular Eee is not without its critics. IT Wire reports that Asus Eee may
    | have misrepresented the Linux loaded capabilities. According to IT Wire, some
    | Linux advocates say the Eee uses Xandros a Debian-based distribution that
    | charges a license fee and has an agreement with Microsoft similar to the one
    | signed by Novell. * *
    `----

    http://www.physorg.com/news115288648.html

  2. Re: [News] Debian-based Internet Tablet Compared to Xandros Linux Laptop

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Asus Eee 701 vs. Nokia N810 - Linux Fight!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| As for myself, I'm sticking with the N810 as my favorite "secondary"
    >| (non-phone) device. It fits my life much better than the Eee does. However, I
    >| am not one to turn away from a well-designed ultraportable. I'm going to have
    >| a good deal of fun with the Eee and enjoy it as my secondary home computer,
    >| but the N810 will get a lot more use out of the home.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.ultramobilegeek.com/2007/...nux-fight.html
    >
    > Where are the Vista-based palm-sized tablets which cost $300 and have over
    > 30,000 applications?

    This was going to be my own approach, too. I fancy an Eee for use
    around the house/office, but the N800 and bluetooth keyboard are my
    exclusive choice of computing platform whilst on the move.

    Carrying anything else is, err, heavy.