[News] Video Proof: Linux Boots Far More Quickly Than Windows XP - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Video Proof: Linux Boots Far More Quickly Than Windows XP - Linux ; Ubuntu vs. That Other OS ,----[ Quote ] | Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same | time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to ...

  1. [News] Video Proof: Linux Boots Far More Quickly Than Windows XP

    Ubuntu vs. That Other OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same
    | time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to optimize
    | it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other PC
    | takes 30 seconds more than what I’ve uploaded to idle the hard drive.
    `----

    http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/...that-other-os/

    Yesterday:

    Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed to
    | boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds. *
    `----

    Related:

    Mach Boot: The live CD that supposedly boots in 10 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mach Boot won't replace Knoppix, and it won't replace Puppy, DSL or NimbleX
    | either. But it's a tool all its own, one that could be very useful with a
    | little more development time. *
    `----

    http://www.insidesocal.com/click/200...osedly_bo.html

    Tiny WiFi-enabled Linux box boots in 1.1 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic continues to reduce the boot time, price, and size of
    | its embedded boards and systems targeting remote sensing and other
    | power-critical applications. Its new $100 ARM9-based TS-7400 board can
    | boot Linux in 1.1 seconds, and is available as part of a tiny
    | WiFi-enabled system.
    `----

    Flexible ARM9 SBC boots Linux in 1.69 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic Systems is offering a freely downloadable, Debian-based Linux
    | OS image said to boot from an SD card in less than two seconds, on the
    | company's ARM9-based SBC (single-board computer).
    `----

    Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
    | laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
    | OS. *
    |
    | Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
    | which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
    | system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
    | will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
    | where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
    | like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
    | affect it.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Video Proof: Linux Boots Far More Quickly Than Windows XP

    wrote
    on Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:36:20 +0000
    <2675866.804jo6TeZu@schestowitz.com>:
    > Ubuntu vs. That Other OS
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same
    > | time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to optimize
    > | it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other PC
    > | takes 30 seconds more than what I?ve uploaded to idle the hard drive.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/...that-other-os/

    I dunno about the conclusion -- Gentoo and Fedora and many
    others probably would have similar results, and it depends
    on how many daemons and how much RAM each system has --
    but it's clear Microsoft Windows XP doesn't put its best
    foot forward here (unless it's to put its foot in it).

    Kudos to the author for minimizing the wait time for selecting
    the OS (XP bootloader versus...it's probably LILO but it
    goes by so fast it's difficult to say) and login, though
    one can only type in one's password so fast.

    > Yesterday:
    >
    > Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed to
    > | boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds. *
    > `----

    If one carefully observes a Linux machine booting, most of the time is
    spent doing things like verifying the filesystem and starting daemons.

    I'll admit I wonder how much one can slice into POST on a PC, though.

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
    elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

  3. Re: [News] Video Proof: Linux Boots Far More Quickly Than Windows XP

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:36:20 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >Ubuntu vs. That Other OS
    >
    >,----[ Quote ]

    Who cares?
    While you Linux nerds are timing the boot sequence, Windows users are
    using APPLICATIONS. You know, those nasty things that Linux has so few
    quality versions of?

    BTW, I thought you Linux kooks don't reboot, ever?

  4. Re: [News] Video Proof: Linux Boots Far More Quickly Than Windows XP

    asstroturfer flatfish wrote on behalf of big corporations:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:36:20 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Ubuntu vs. That Other OS
    >>
    >>,----[ Quote ]

    > Who cares?

    Apparently you do to rise to dismiss the great accomplishment
    on behalf of some big corporations out there...

    > While you Linux nerds are timing the boot sequence, Windows users are
    > using APPLICATIONS. You know, those nasty things that Linux has so few
    > quality versions of?
    >
    > BTW, I thought you Linux kooks don't reboot, ever?

    If you only have half a brain cell, it would out you for being
    a spliffing idiot.

  5. Re: [News] Proof: Vista Boots Far More Quickly (2X) than Ubuntu linux

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Ubuntu vs. That Other OS
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the
    > same
    > | time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to
    > optimize
    > | it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other
    > PC
    > | takes 30 seconds more than what I've uploaded to idle the hard drive.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/...that-other-os/

    PROOF - Vista boots 2X as fast as Ubuntu

    http://www.viperlair.com/articles/ed.../vista/versus/

    "Vista is downright impressive, you barely have time to get a soda (or beer
    ). If you think the boot time is impressive, you should see the wake time.
    I swear its instantaneous, you press the power button from Vista being
    asleep, and there is the login screen; VERY impressive."