Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company! - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company! - Linux ; On 2007-11-28, alt wrote: > Whether or not they are involved, it just highlights how broken the US > Patent system is. A multi-lingual keyboard layout is hardly novel. How do you know that? Have you read the patent? Or ...

  1. Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    On 2007-11-28, alt wrote:
    > Whether or not they are involved, it just highlights how broken the US
    > Patent system is. A multi-lingual keyboard layout is hardly novel.

    How do you know that? Have you read the patent? Or do you know so much
    about multi-lingual keyboard design that you can state for sure that
    every conceivable idea in that area has already been done, and there is
    no possible way for anyone to ever have a novel idea in that field
    again?

  2. Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:52:42 +0000, Tim Smith wrote:

    > On 2007-11-28, alt wrote:
    >> Whether or not they are involved, it just highlights how broken the US
    >> Patent system is. A multi-lingual keyboard layout is hardly novel.

    > How do you know that? Have you read the patent? Or do you know so much
    > about multi-lingual keyboard design that you can state for sure that
    > every conceivable idea in that area has already been done, and there is
    > no possible way for anyone to ever have a novel idea in that field
    > again?

    It's a keyboard. You press keys and electrical impulses get sent to the
    CPU. Now THAT was novel at one point. The keyboard layout isn't novel. I
    don't care what language you intend to input on it, it's not novel. It's a
    bloody stupid patent.

  3. Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    On 2007-11-29, alt wrote:
    >> How do you know that? Have you read the patent? Or do you know so much
    >> about multi-lingual keyboard design that you can state for sure that
    >> every conceivable idea in that area has already been done, and there is
    >> no possible way for anyone to ever have a novel idea in that field
    >> again?

    > It's a keyboard. You press keys and electrical impulses get sent to the
    > CPU. Now THAT was novel at one point. The keyboard layout isn't novel. I
    > don't care what language you intend to input on it, it's not novel. It's a
    > bloody stupid patent.

    So you've read the patent?

  4. Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > On 2007-11-29, alt wrote:
    >>> How do you know that? Have you read the patent? Or do you know so much
    >>> about multi-lingual keyboard design that you can state for sure that
    >>> every conceivable idea in that area has already been done, and there is
    >>> no possible way for anyone to ever have a novel idea in that field
    >>> again?

    >> It's a keyboard. You press keys and electrical impulses get sent to the
    >> CPU. Now THAT was novel at one point. The keyboard layout isn't novel. I
    >> don't care what language you intend to input on it, it's not novel. It's a
    >> bloody stupid patent.

    > So you've read the patent?

    I'm not sure it would matter all that much. It would be pretty
    difficult to evaluate it without a lot of work, and even then there
    might be some ambiguity as to the applicability of the patent. And it
    is well known, I think, that multiple patents often get awarded to
    similar pieces of functionality.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    alt espoused:
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:52:42 +0000, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-11-28, alt wrote:
    >>> Whether or not they are involved, it just highlights how broken the US
    >>> Patent system is. A multi-lingual keyboard layout is hardly novel.

    >> How do you know that? Have you read the patent? Or do you know so much
    >> about multi-lingual keyboard design that you can state for sure that
    >> every conceivable idea in that area has already been done, and there is
    >> no possible way for anyone to ever have a novel idea in that field
    >> again?

    > It's a keyboard. You press keys and electrical impulses get sent to the
    > CPU. Now THAT was novel at one point. The keyboard layout isn't novel. I
    > don't care what language you intend to input on it, it's not novel. It's a
    > bloody stupid patent.

    I think we should look for a holiday on the whole patent system for,
    say, 5 years, whilst its operation is reviewed and reconsidered, and its
    goals restated in line with suitably modern thinking. The current
    system is fast becoming a laughing stock of global governance, with
    the growth of a whole new industry sector, the patent troll, as well as
    a grab for maths and software.

    It's time for a proper reset.

    For irony, compare this with the global warming debate and the "science"
    funded by oil companies...

  6. Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    Mark Kent writes:

    > alt espoused:

    >>> How do you know that? Have you read the patent? Or do you know so much
    >>> about multi-lingual keyboard design that you can state for sure that
    >>> every conceivable idea in that area has already been done, and there is
    >>> no possible way for anyone to ever have a novel idea in that field
    >>> again?

    >> It's a keyboard. You press keys and electrical impulses get sent to the
    >> CPU. Now THAT was novel at one point. The keyboard layout isn't novel. I
    >> don't care what language you intend to input on it, it's not novel. It's a
    >> bloody stupid patent.
    >>

    > I think

    *snip*

    (too busy laughing)

  7. Re: OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

    So anyway, it was like, 15:39 CET Dec 04 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Hadron was all like, "Dude,

    >> I think

    > *snip*

    The 90's called. They want their troll bait back.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    15:50:48 up 9 days, 4 min, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.07, 0.01

+ Reply to Thread