Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive - Linux

This is a discussion on Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive - Linux ; Can someone tell me the tool and how I can image by Linux machines? We know how to do it in Windows via Ghost, but we are trying to get away from Windows and Windows softwares (including Ghost). We want ...

  1. Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive

    Can someone tell me the tool and how I can image by Linux machines? We know
    how to do it in Windows via Ghost, but we are trying to get away from
    Windows and Windows softwares (including Ghost).

    We want to give the user a DVD or CD with their system image and when they
    place it in the drive - it automatically restores - obviously a BOOTABLE
    Linux restore CD/DVD.

    Please don't provide clues unless you know for sure - I have MANY clues
    myself - I need experts - PLEASE.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive

    Den Fri, 27 May 2005 05:25:49 +0000. skrev RWells:

    > Can someone tell me the tool and how I can image by Linux machines? We know
    > how to do it in Windows via Ghost, but we are trying to get away from
    > Windows and Windows softwares (including Ghost).
    >
    > We want to give the user a DVD or CD with their system image and when they
    > place it in the drive - it automatically restores - obviously a BOOTABLE
    > Linux restore CD/DVD.
    >
    > Please don't provide clues unless you know for sure - I have MANY clues
    > myself - I need experts - PLEASE.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Take a look at partimage, and partimaged if you want to do it over a
    network.
    It is usable over a live CD/DVD as well. It is included on for instance
    the Knoppix Live CD, so remastering a Knoppix Live CD to boot up, start
    partimage, and automagically restore an image from the CD/DVD or the
    network, should be a trivial exercise. There are numerous how-to's
    available on how to customize and remaster a Knoppix live CD/DVD.

    e-teori

  3. Re: Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive

    In alt.os.linux RWells :
    > Can someone tell me the tool and how I can image by Linux machines? We know
    > how to do it in Windows via Ghost, but we are trying to get away from
    > Windows and Windows softwares (including Ghost).

    > We want to give the user a DVD or CD with their system image and when they
    > place it in the drive - it automatically restores - obviously a BOOTABLE
    > Linux restore CD/DVD.

    Linux doesn't break any other day needing a complete reinstall like
    doze.

    If possible, wouldn't waste my time setting up individual
    workstations at all. Setup one or more LTSP server
    http://www.ltsp.org/ and boot your clients over the network
    without hd. Only takes a few second and users get a GUI login on
    the ltsp server. Reduces cost + administration time to a minimum.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 118: the router thinks its a printer.

  4. Re: Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive

    RWells wrote:

    > Can someone tell me the tool and how I can image by Linux machines? We
    > know how to do it in Windows via Ghost, but we are trying to get away from
    > Windows and Windows softwares (including Ghost).
    >
    > We want to give the user a DVD or CD with their system image and when they
    > place it in the drive - it automatically restores - obviously a BOOTABLE
    > Linux restore CD/DVD.
    >
    > Please don't provide clues unless you know for sure - I have MANY clues
    > myself - I need experts - PLEASE.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You could try Kickstart. It may not work well if you have a lot of
    customization, or if you don't use RedHat/Fedora. You can find out more
    about kickstart here:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ickstart2.html.

  5. Re: Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive

    RWells wrote:
    > Can someone tell me the tool and how I can image by Linux machines? We know
    > how to do it in Windows via Ghost, but we are trying to get away from
    > Windows and Windows softwares (including Ghost).
    >
    > We want to give the user a DVD or CD with their system image and when they
    > place it in the drive - it automatically restores - obviously a BOOTABLE
    > Linux restore CD/DVD.
    >
    > Please don't provide clues unless you know for sure - I have MANY clues
    > myself - I need experts - PLEASE.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have used Mondo Rescue quite a bit with good results. It generates
    ISO files (splitting them as necessary) which are suitable for burning.
    To restore, boot off the first of the CD's you created when backing
    up, and you can use it's "nuke" feature to restore your entire system.
    Seems to handle partitions well too.

    Here's an article detailing how to use it:
    http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?...&tid=29&tid=42

    Here's the project's web site:
    http://www.mondorescue.org/

    Good luck,
    -Ryan Twomey
    www.dracoware.com

  6. Re: Tool to Automate Restore Imaging of Linux Drive

    Ryan Twomey wrote:
    > RWells wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me the tool and how I can image by Linux machines?
    >> We know how to do it in Windows via Ghost, but we are trying to get
    >> away from Windows and Windows softwares (including Ghost).
    >>
    >> We want to give the user a DVD or CD with their system image and when
    >> they place it in the drive - it automatically restores - obviously a
    >> BOOTABLE Linux restore CD/DVD.
    >>
    >> Please don't provide clues unless you know for sure - I have MANY
    >> clues myself - I need experts - PLEASE.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > I have used Mondo Rescue quite a bit with good results. It generates
    > ISO files (splitting them as necessary) which are suitable for burning.
    > To restore, boot off the first of the CD's you created when backing up,
    > and you can use it's "nuke" feature to restore your entire system. Seems
    > to handle partitions well too.
    >
    > Here's an article detailing how to use it:
    > http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?...&tid=29&tid=42
    >
    > Here's the project's web site:
    > http://www.mondorescue.org/
    >
    > Good luck,